Would you want an Alignment Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by pollypeptide, Jan 10, 2018.

1. pollypeptide

pollypeptide
    Expand Collapse

Hey all, I'm very much the noob here but I have a lifetime and a half of automotive experience which I'd like to share with other enthusiasts. Brake and chassis is my specialty and I've been doing alignments for over 15 years. Alignments are the most critical part of a cars handling and for a game like BeamNG.Drive, knowing how to line up your car is essential. You can score faster lap times with a decent set of tires and a good alignment than you can with $5k worth of struts and bushings....

Thing is, it took me 20 years to learn what I know so doing a tutorial would be a monumental task...

I know there are a lot of people who would like to know the in's and out's of alignments so I guess what I'm asking is, how much do you want to know? Would a basic run-down of alignments be enough or would you want a full on explanation of everything from contact patch to spring rate to instant-centers??

I want to contribute and I have a lot of experience to share, how far does "general interest" go though? I really do want to spin up this tutorial on alignments just as a test of what I know, so do you want such a thing? Is it worth my time?

Please hit me up with some input here! If you all want a decent guide to alignments then I'll do a tutorial. I'd like to create an alignment app as well, so if there is anyone interested in that let me know. Alignment is important so it's worth learning about... Such is my opinion at least...

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

All information is more information, so of course more information is wanted!

3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I am willing to learn... impart your knowledge.

4. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Yes! If you're willing to make one, it'd be great to see it! I know the basics of how it all works, but not nearly enough to actually make a car perform much better in any way, so it'd be great to have a good tutorial that shows me what everything does. That, and trying to find the info on Google is normally difficult and confusing...

5. psy_lo

psy_lo
    Expand Collapse

Of course it's would be pretty nice to have a full on explanation of everything! An extra very useful to have some settings and experience from real life to better understand how it's really working, how to reproduce in game realistic Newton values for high performance pushrod/pullrod suspension and shock absorbers like Koni Racing...Yes it can be really cool for simulated race car developers present on this forum! It's my first way to know and learn all about BNG! Testing the limit if one can exist!

It would also be great to have a review like yours, how you feel existing vehicles in BNG (if you have a steering wheel!;)). I think it's good to start from here. Taking time to know how all the official vehicles and several excellent mods currently running in the game, dismounting and editing available settings in Vehicles Config menu and on the ground! There is already many awesome of suspension' systems available in BNG, working fine like no other 3D engine, since most are arcade-game oriented with rarely a deep development for simulation. BNG is oriented simulation, if I'm not mistaken, that's all the difference!

I started when it was still the version 8-9 of the game a pushrod suspension system for a monoplace car not yet released because not working at is best (but nicely build with mechanics knowledge I study as drawing mechanical and metallic construction), and left aside to be back learning more basic BNG things, with something like a shipping container concept!

Here is an opportunity to read someone who knows the subject very well and who wants to share gracefully professional knowledge. I'm glad to hear about that :)

My first attempt to build a race pushrod concept for front and rear suspensions needed for F1 or Indy cars. The points are the nodes with collision true or false. The green surface are the collision triangle for the model, green lines are the beams linking nodes together to form structure and giving fixations, mount points and attach between different parts to the gearbox, engine and frame, most realistic as possible!
    screenshot_00064.png screenshot_00068.png screenshot_00069.png screenshot_00074.png

#5 psy_lo, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Im sure it would help me a lot. ive been trying to learn more about suspension related things for a while because my mods lack a better suspension.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice