Workflow for content creation

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by triumph1200, Oct 11, 2019.

1. triumph1200

triumph1200
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Does anyone have a workflow for content creation? I've spent two weeks reverse engineering existing vehicles and there doesn't always seem to be consistency. The documentation often disagrees with practice and visa versa. A simplified workflow for a simple vehicle following updated best practices would be really handy for those still interested in beginning to make content for BeamNG.

Thanks for any help.

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Have you checked the stickies post, which list the main tutorials/wiki pages?
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/tutorials-index-list-of-useful-guides.51454/

There's not a single workflow, it all depends what you want to do.
    Vehicles, Levels, etc all have distinct workflow(s).
    Even then, everyone has their own workflow once learned the basic how-to.

Example: For a vehicle you can start from a 3D model, and then building your Jbeam around it, or right the opposite. Both are valid methods, and depends on what you want to achieve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I plan on making a tutorial eventually.... but as Nadeox1 stated... there is no real one singular way to do it. There also isn't really any inherently wrong way to do it either. There are right ways that are more right than others... but in the long run, you basically just need to do it in the way that you are most comfortable with.

I personally 3D model literally everything I wish to add into the game first... then I will build my JBeams after to make sure that everything matches up to my 3D models correctly as for me this way is just easier. I know many other modders do the exact opposite... but again... you don't HAVE to do either of these... you can do it however way you wish.

4. triumph1200

triumph1200
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking more of a workflow for vehicles for things like chassis, suspension, engine etc. Things that are required on all vehicles with an idealised way to create the jbeam files. I've finally got a working vehicle but it took a heck of a lot to get there because I followed out of date advice, methods, and not so good practices. Also knowing that the nodes and beams are a physical representation of the placement of core structural members and not truly representative of the body of the vehicle would have saved me some time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice