Windows 10 - three years later

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by FS16, Dec 17, 2017.

1. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

2000px-Windows_10_Logosvg.png

In 2018, Windows 10 will soon be 3 years old, and this thread is just to look back at what has changed, and for the long term experiences. Back when 10 launched I remember everybody hating it and GWX annoying the hell out of millions of people, and it would be interesting to what your opinions on W10 are now.
    --
    Personally, I have held back updating to 10 from 8.1 until only a week ago. But wait, free upgrades ended like half a year ago, right? Well, turns out you can still get them if you turn on a feature for disabled people because logic. Anyways, I have no idea why I initially hated 10 and didn't want to upgrade, because now that I have it I love it. It runs better, looks better, has more features and is just overall a great OS. The only thing I miss is the charms bar, having the time displayed on my second monitor while watching a movie is pretty useful. But overall, there is no regret.
    --
    So, what are your experiences? Did you upgrade to 10, do you still use 8.1, 7 or even XP? And to those who have 10, what are your experciences?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Meh, 10 works when it's not broken by an update.

It would be a great OS if the system didn't get forced into updates every time there is one, including feature updates that cause numerous issues. It has given me numerous headaches, and I am getting tired of having to baby sit my computer instead of it being a reliable piece of equipment.

I personally liked 8 better. 8.1 ruined my laptop when it forced installed. Had it been a clean install things probably would have gone quite a bit smoother. But I can't do that now, because the darn thing is nearly dead, after leaving it under a blanket when it woke up from sleep mode for several nights whilst plugged into power. I officially hate Pentiums now after that one :/
    And also my iPad is dead too, so I am having to replace both things :|

The Windows 9x versions are my favorite, having had most of my early computer experience on those machines running those operating systems, with XP being my second favorite. Didn't get much of a chance to use Vista or 7. 8 was on my older desktop which I no longer have, and 8.1 is on my Pentium based craptop. 10 is on my main PC, and don't be an idiot and buy the Home license... Get Pro or better. I got home and well, I am having some headaches with my system to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

I like windows 10 but the "updates" make it worse. My computer was running fine last update but now i cant open up the action center, "start menu" cortana and more. Its so stupid you cant block updated because last time the updates kept breaking firefox, beamng, sony vegas etc so i kept uninstalling it. Once the windows 10 update was uninstalled everything was fine. But windows 10 is very good when it works.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Aside from there being about 1000 default settings that actually break something, it seems to be mostly fine. I've had it for about a month now, and while I massively prefer 7, I can live. Besides, I can play Forza now.

I still see alot of people having problems with new updates, which I think I remember was a problem when the OS came out. So I just got some 3rd party software to turn them off, so you know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I've been using it since, launch, never had any issues at all. It just works. Runs great, better than 8 and 7. Using deep disable scripts for tons of stuff obviously, but I did that anyway with every other version.

6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I like Windows 10.

I believe there is one possible way to turn off Windows Updates.

Just today I went into Administrative Tools in Control Panel and disabled Update features in Services.

I really hate Updates. Something that really got on my nerves lately is some Windows 10 Update Assistant that no matter how many times I deleted it, it kept coming back. I'll have to wait and see if what I did today works and it finally decides to stay deleted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Luciferion

Luciferion
    Expand Collapse

Windows 10? Naaaaaah.

Attached Files:

• cmwindows1-0jul15a.jpg
    • 131166jpg.png
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I've never had windows 10, I had windows vista till a month or two ago, now windows seven on my work laptop, and windows XP on my old laptop, so, yeah

9. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Anyone remember the glitch that prevented the start menu from opening when you hadn't restarted your PC in a while?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Luciferion

Luciferion
    Expand Collapse

That glitch? oh jesus christ...:p did that p**s me off i thought my pc was broken or something

11. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

windows 10 in three years:

windows 13

12. Luciferion

Luciferion
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  13. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

14. Luciferion

Luciferion
    Expand Collapse

http://www.cnn.com/ i haet tose tupid libearl stuipy dume dume haeds

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Calarist

Calarist
    Expand Collapse

I am still on 8.1

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

Never could get 10 to work. To many problems.
    I love how it will constantly have the disk usage at 100%. makes my computer very slow :p
    That's why I still use 7 & XP

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cory5503

Cory5503
    Expand Collapse

Windows 10 is good but...eh...I think I'm more of a Windows 98 kind of guy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Windows xp and 7 are the best. Windows 10 has caused so many problems that its not funny. I do like the task bar more in Windows 10 but that's about it. Having a app store that used 40% of my disk until I tell it to stop and cortana slowing my start up from 2mins to 10mins its annoying.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I have this same issue, but thankfully mine isn't constant... mine lasts for about 10 minutes when I start my computer... every time I start my computer, might I add.

The only two problems that I have ever had with Windows 10 is the one mentioned above, and its ability to update ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING no matter what you have your settings set to.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem for me and I accept all updates with open arms, but on my MacBook Pro that used an NVidia graphics chip, it ended up making things a mess every time I turned it on. For whatever reason, NVidia stopped supporting the chipset in my laptop with their driver updates, so I had to stay on an older driver version or else my screen would have all sorts of glitches all over it and the text on everything would be completely glitched out and messed up. It would also cause tons of graphical artifacts in games and in general just be a total mess. Once I found out which older version still worked, I installed it and made sure to set it up so Windows would NOT update that driver... so what does it do? It just waits for me to restart, then it will update the driver... every... flipping... time... It is incredibly annoying.

If they are going to give us the option to turn off updates on specific things, they might as well make them work :p

20. AdamB

AdamB
    Expand Collapse

one thing you could do is go into computer management, under services, and disable windows update that way.
    Windows XP: You said no updates? Ok fine with me.
    Windows 7: Pleeeeease turn updates back on or else you can't update drivers. I'm gonna continuously nag you that windows update is off
    Windows 10: You know what? screw you. I'm gonna install updates whether you like it or not. even if a new driver's not compatible, i'm gonna download it anyway. Also by the way your computer is going to restart in 5 seconds to install updates. Hope you saved

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice