Why do we love driving?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by gigawert, Sep 23, 2017.

1. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Post the reasons you love driving in this thread.

As for me, I love driving because I love the freedom of being able to travel, I love cars (obviously), and I love that constant adrenaline + dopamine flood in my brain when I turn the key of any car. Also, I love hearing the engine, especially in cars with 6 or more cylinders.

#1 gigawert, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. VWlove38

VWlove38
    Expand Collapse

Being alone in the car with good music. And the overall dynamics of the car is somehow relaxing me (idk why :confused:) i.e seeing the gearbox going through gears...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. IvanGF14

IvanGF14
    Expand Collapse

Well, i simply love driving, i dont know why :p. I enjoy driving on a mountain road but i also enjoy driving in the traffic on the cities

4. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

5. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Being in control of such a complicated yet smooth piece of machinery, shifting gears, the open road, and the sounds. I absolutely love the way my truck sounds, turbo whistle is the best.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

I don't drive(i'm very young(14)) but i was born with cars.
    simply i don't know why ;)

7. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

There's just something very exciting about finding out how much centripetal force your tires can really manage before you under/oversteer into a tree ;p

• Like Like x 1
  8. JetPoweredMacintoshâ„¢

JetPoweredMacintoshâ„¢
    Expand Collapse

I can't drive yet, (NO ONE LIKES YOU DMV) but racing games and BeamNG gives me at least a little bit of the sensation of throwing your car into a corner and crashing.....:D

9. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

When i drive i stop being depressed and my suicide desire goes away being replaced by absolute joy and control. I feel complete.

10. Pervin.M

Pervin.M
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Low powered car+manual=Banging through the gears and still being under speed limit.That's what i like about it most.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Miata is more your style then.

12. Pervin.M

Pervin.M
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Give me anything with manual trans and I will take it with pleasure .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

You are in a big metal box, 1 tonne of metal all around you, 4 cylinders upfront which connect to your wheels through 5 gears, there is nothing more rewarding than driving, other than flying. Flying is like driving, except you have a Y axis too! (it's also more fun as failures are critical so you have checklists and backup equipment). Underpowered cars are awesome, you can put your foot down and change up late and still be legal (yet broke cos fuel is expensive :p)

14. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Freedom is one part for me... The other part is becoming one with the machine.

I like driving in general, but I REALLY like driving some cars more than others. I have a bunch to compare to as well. For instance, my parents have a 2013 Ford Escape. Great vehicle, punch little engine, handles fantastic for its size and weight, but it just doesn't do it for me to much... all the controls feel disconnected and lifeless. I have a few cars, but my favorite driver's car is my 95 Subaru Impreza I bought for 500 bucks on craigslist. The thing is 4 different colors (mostly just different shades of red and a green fender), it has no abs (doesn't work anyways), no airbags, the horn is literally a doorbell screwed to the dash, the shifter is so sloppy that I have no idea what gear I am in by just grabbing the shifter and have to listen to the engine or look at the tach and speedo to figure it out, the hazard lights don't turn on and just make a loud buzzing sound, the carpets are just some random felt that the guy threw in, the headliner is literally made out of fabric that has cherries all over it for some reason, the gas tank leaks gas if I put more than 4 gallons of gas in it, it's running on beastly white walls, has a really loud exhaust, mudflaps bigger than some trucks, and the bumper looks like it's held on by the front light bar... but damn if it doesn't bring a huge smile to my face every time I turn the key and go tearing through the woods and up atv trails during the summer or smashing through mountains of snow in the winter. Everyone just stares at it as I cruise through town and it's hilarious good fun in the corners because it's so lively and predictable.

I may have better cars... hell, I drive a Corvette as my daily driver... but that Subaru is so much fun it really is no comparison.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Pervin.M

Pervin.M
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

To be honest,nothing is more more rewarding than owning your car,taking care care of it,whether it's yugo or riced out shitmobile..At least it's better than driving your parents car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

Freedom/ Control... If I wan't to go 5 over then I go 5 over... If I want to go a specific route, I go that route... Not to mention I have been racing things since I was in the 2nd grade... (Qtr Midgets and Go-Karts)
    --- Post updated ---
    Depends on what car your parents have... I drove my mom's Cadillac all the time in HS

17. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

it sure would be awful if this inexperienced urban yhoot ended up dead in a howrrible carr axkident caused by his wreckless speeding addiction

18. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

cant agree more with the "one with the machine" argument, there is more to cars than driving though, learning about them is cool too :)

19. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

its fun and stuff.

20. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Despite having not owned a car or even drove one in public, here's why i think driving is fun, you get to love your car from just driving it, it doesn't matter if it is a lazy, loud, 70's Nova or a sporty, fast, 80's Lancer, you get to know your car by either crashing into a streetlamp or threatening a fellow driver by racing him, why driving is also fun is because you can drive fast and either feel the need to shit your pants or feel like your taking cocaine and being happy about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice