What languages can you speak?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by SixSixSevenSeven, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

We are an international community and of course that leaves us with a lot of non native English speakers. I was wondering what languages people here know just out of interest.

Personally English is my native language.
    During school years we were supposed to learn French (or German for some classes in my school, but my class "learnt" French), but I had a tutor that couldn't cope with our unruly class and I didn't really have any interest in the subject at the time so didn't put the effort in. I scored a level 2 on my year 9 SATs test, to put that in perspective, you were supposed to be able to achieve level 3 from just the knowledge taught in year 7 let alone 8 and 9. Considering how long ago that was, I have forgotten pretty much all of it.

Advance a few years (well, 6) and I honestly regret that. I have hung out on the internet (I did not have the internet 6 years ago believe it or not) virtually meeting people who speak English as if they were native speakers and only later discovering that English is not their first language. I met a guy at university, spoke with him and genuinely made the assumption that he was of Indian descent, he spoke English as a native, oh how wrong I was, born in one province of India, learnt the local language, moved to another area with a different local language and learnt that one too, learnt Hindi along the way, moved to Dubai and learn English and a bit of arabic and finally ended up in the UK about 2 years before I met him. I was genuinely sitting there disappointed in myself, theres me failing to even greet a person in another language and then this guy shows up able to hold full conversation in what he states to be his 4th language (he claims to suck at arabic, was still able to read the packaging of an arabic pepsi can someone had). Got groups of people walking down corridors having conversations in numerous languages.
    I really do regret not paying attention in class when I was younger.
    And on that note, back to duolingo.com, when I left off it was angry at me translating "the girl" into "die Mädchen"

2. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I can speak "fluently" English and Chinese.
    I can sort of speak Latin, not very good though.
    I can say at most 5 words in these languages: German, Japanese and Spanish.

3. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I speak Spanish, Catalan and English.

And knowing Spanish and Catalan I can understand pretty much everything written in italian, french and portuguese, and also get the main ideas in a conversation in any of those three languages.

4. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I can speak English and I took Spanish in school. My Spanish is pretty bad though.

5. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

English and some Māori.

6. jeffbox

jeffbox
    Expand Collapse

I speak Spanish, Valencian and English(35%) and a bit of Romanian.

7. akino_germany

akino_germany
    Expand Collapse

I speak German, English and I have Latin in school but I only know some words.

8. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

I speak German.
    I´ve not the very best english, i speak some (at least words) france, spanish and russian.

#8 Jujune, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  9. Killerchicken

Killerchicken
    Expand Collapse

German, english , basic

10. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

English, Esperanto, and a fair bit of Spanish. Tried to learn German; all I remember is a few small phrases like "Ich bin krank".

If anyone looks up what Esperanto is and wants some resources/info, shoot me a pm. It's easier to learn.

11. ErikSW

ErikSW
    Expand Collapse

Swedish (my native language), English and a little Spanish. I can also understand Danish and Norwegian, since they are very close to Swedish.

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't really counting programming, scripting or markup languages but I guess if you count them then me only speaking english and as of yesterday trying to learn german doesnt seem too bad.
    VB.NET, C#, Java, Python, Lua, HTML, CSS, JavaScript (aka the dumbest named language in the world, no relation to java besides a C derived syntax), C, Wiring and a bit of SPIN.

#12 SixSixSevenSeven, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I am fluent in english and ebonics. I can translate if you'd like.

14. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

English, some Spanish, Pirate, lolspeak, and doge.

15. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I can speak English, Latin, Elvish, Dwarvish, Klingon, C, C++, Windows Command Prompt, Bash Terminal, Javascript, Pirate, 1337, lolcats, HTML, CSS, doge, and baby.

16. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

english, some spanish, c++, Visual Basic, LUA, and basic Java (not javascript mind you, actual java)

17. TheRealPhil

TheRealPhil
    Expand Collapse

German , English (well , sort of) and i once meowed to my cat and she looked like me like i was some kind of devil , so i assume i speak kitten too. 4ND 1 4150 5P34K L337

18. JDSJOEL

JDSJOEL
    Expand Collapse

English as I am English :). I also learnt some French up to year 9 in secondary school, I really hated it though.

19. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Italian (orly?)
    English

I understand a bit of:

French (omlette au fromage)
    Spanish (sometimes similar to italian)

ChingChongPlingPling.

20. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

English. Counting and basic Spanish.
    Used to know a fair amount of German, but I've forgotten. French too.
    I'm learning japenese next year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice