1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What is BeamNG's stance in terms of the use of their assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrwallace888, Jan 30, 2022.

1. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I've been curious about this for a while now. I've seen Grand Theft Auto V mods where they take BeamNG vehicles and turn them into something lore-friendly. Some were taken down, but others were not.

In another case, the game Live For Speed was given a recent update to add official vehicle mod support. The condition, however, is that vehicles must not be models from other games or copyrighted content, UNLESS they have permission. LucasBE's 1994 ETK K-Series mod for BeamNG was turned into an LFS car mod with explicit permission from LucasBE. Although this is a mod and not something official from BeamNG, I figured this would still be a good example.

In any case, how does BeamNG's staff feel officially in terms of the use of their assets? Especially for the use of mods in other video games, since in most cases, mods are almost always free and are not for financial gain for the user who makes them.

For example, if someone began converting BeamNG's official vehicle roster into mods for Live For Speed, would this be acceptable? Are there certain conditions and/or agreements that must be met? Are they against the conversions into Grand Theft Auto V that people have been doing?

• Like Like x 2
  2. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

3. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

4. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Well.. It's stealing assets, not sure what else there is to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Im fairly certain they dont want most of the vehicles to be reuploaded to other places. Gabester, the guy who made alot of the earlier models in the game, did not want people to reupload his work to other games, or even try to import some of his Rigs of Rods vehicles into BeamNG due to concerns about how they would reflect the quality of the game, and how they would represent the brands, lore, etc.

If it was me I would either not do it or make a model from scratch to look like the BeamNG vehicles

6. Leeloo

Leeloo
    Expand Collapse
    The Little Engine That Could
    BeamNG Team

It really depends. For each individual case you would need to contact our licensing team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice