What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

Update: 03 August 2016
    New dash cam :3
    IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1048.JPG

Update: 15 August 2016
    11,000 Miles
    IMG_1226.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. brianvalk

brianvalk
    Expand Collapse

well he had about 5 orso cars before that ford so .... its too daddy's money

3. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Got this picture from the body shop via e-mail (yes, the attachment to this post is the real size of what they sent me...).

They were asking if they should repair the scratch on the rim, too.

How am I supposed to see anything, in a photo this small? :rolleyes:

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I can see the rim scratch

5. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

So can I, but the pic is almost comically small. Could be dirt for all I know...

Definitely not the best they could do to show previously undiscovered minor damage.

6. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

My catalytic converter got clogged and it took hours of trouble shooting to figure out why I was down on power so bad all of a sudden. I checked cam timing. Inspected the valve retainers and keepers. I cheked the intake for vacuum leaks. What I thought was exhaust leak rasp is more likely to be cat rattle. Going to gut it tomorrow to find our for sure. Probably a good time to replace the garbage cast exhaust manifold with a proper header while I'm at it.

7. James Smith

James Smith
    Expand Collapse

You say: "Hey Jim, where is that rust hole in the rocker?"
    I say: "what rust hole?"

IMG_3414.JPG IMG_3411.JPG
    I think you can figure out how I decided to spend my evening.

8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

My rockers are GONE on the underside. On the drivers side you can see a harness hanging down..

Car is still at the shop getting my replacement starter installed. Access was a PITA and I failed to get even one bolt loose so I decided to just have a shop do it for me.

9. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I should probably check this myself, as this car has suffered several forms of engine abuse including:

-Sitting almost completely unused for six years.
    -Being repeatedly almost run out of gas (and by that I mean bucking, missing, and trying to shut off by the time I reach the pump)
    -Being actually run out of gas once (all of about 100 yards from a gas station, because I tried to eat my drive-thru lunch before I refuelled)
    -Running almost without oil for way too long
    -Running without coolant for way too long (never actually overheated though)
    -Using the same single-copper spark plugs for, very possibly, 23 years.
    -Being repeatedly "yanked out of bed" and thrashed cold in a mad rush to work
    -Seafoamed out once, which isn't technically "abuse" but certainly causes the car to pollute hardcore while it's working

Through all that, I could see the cat causing me grief.

It's funny, you know. When first I changed the spark plugs, it seemed to run better, smoother, and faster. For all of about two days. Now it's back to where it was, running extremely rough, making a raspy tickingish sound, being really slow, and sometimes the engine will just straight up lose power in the high 4000RPM range, worse and more sharply than it ever did before. I might have screwed up the plug gaps somehow, and it absolutely needs an oil change, but what would make it run better for about two days and then go even worse than it was before?

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

AFR being out causing engine to run rich/lean can knacker plugs again. Dodgy fuelling? 23 year old fuel filter may well have a load of crap in it.

11. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I smelled fuel at hi revs and noticed the power was leveling off at around 8k and even dropping off just before 9 grand. That's my bread and butter if Im doing anything else besides grocery getting if you catch my drift. I figured the stock manifold was causing it to run rich as most of these swaps come with the 4 to 1 header. As soon as it's thru emissions I'm getting a test pipe and a proper Toda style race header. That and a dyno tune should take me from 190 bhp to around 190 whp. If I ever come into money I'm not getting pool in my back yard, I'm getting a mustang dyno and all of you are free to use it, just bring me a 6 pack.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

When I got the '06 the fuel filter was clogged. It ran fine besides idling kinda funny, and it was the first vic I'd ever really driven so I didn't notice anything until I timed a 0-60 and got a sickening 11.something seconds. I was afraid the cats were clogged, but I replaced the fuel filter and started seeing appropriate 0-60 times. 7.5-8 sec.

• Like Like x 1
  13. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

All this could be avoided if all cars came with wide band o2 sensors and a Guage as standard.

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

I've been thinking about the red truck, It was dyno-ed in 07 or 08, and at that time it was around 400 Wheel HP, and 870 wheel TQ, and all it had had done to it was a new set of injectors, a different fuel plate and a little bump in the timing, After doing some reading, if I do nothing but put a larger turbo on it, it can be well into the 600 HP range, and over 1000 ft.lbs, assuming I don't shred the clutch, that's really tempting.

• Like Like x 2
  15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I knew a kid with a turbo Cummins that was making around 600whp. He drag raced a guy with a 350hp cobra swapped mustang from the late 90s and ate him for breakfast. Do the turbo upgrade and than find ricers like me. Profit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Racetruck, Clearly.

Also found a couple boxes of .44 Special HP's under the seat, not too sure how long they've been there, as neither I, or my dad had a .44 special.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Interestingly, this is what I originally suspected. Practically ever since I got it, it's lurched and bucked while coasting in gear off the throttle, it's hesitated when stomping on the gas (especially at low RPM), and it's been slow (timed at 10.whatever seconds 0-60 on a back road; while that was with two people in the car, passenger operating a cell phone timer based on the driver's callouts, that shouldn't account for a gap of almost two seconds to the theoretical 0-60 time of the similar Cavalier Z24) as well. The rickety noise has not always been there, and has gotten steadily worse; still, since the car sat with gas in it for so long, it might be worth seeing if the fuel filter is full of half-dissolved fuel line bits.

18. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

The fuel filter is cheap and easy enough to replace. Needs it anyway after over 20 years.
    I spent like $11 on a bona fide motorcraft filter. Dunno if the funny idle was directly caused by it though. That was eliminated mostly by replacing the fuel filter then cleaning the maf and throttle body, and then finally completely done away with by leaving the battery unhooked for a few days.

19. theonetruedoge

theonetruedoge
    Expand Collapse

Jeez... haven't posted on here in a while now. Been lurking plenty though! The 1970 Monterey is doin just fine and i am currently saving up to have some body work done to the skirts and quarter panels so i can get ready to paint it. I've been thinking about going with a pearlescent white, because i figure that would contrast nicely with the brown vinyl top(which is actually in great shape).

I also bought myself a Corolla of doom! Paid 800 bucks for this rotting piece of junk, but hey it gets better mpg than the big block mercury and has a.c. so i cant really complain. It was dubbed the "meme machine" by one of my friends.
    FB_IMG_1471754531307.jpg FB_IMG_1471754543475.jpg

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Heh. Do you deliver for Jimmy John's? It'd be badass if you don't and the light thing just came with the car.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice