What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Because Australian made. ;)

2. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Those mounts tend to harden and crack after 20-odd years of cooling and heating cycles... Did you get OEM mounts?

Subaru IMPOSSIBRUUUU:

After flying down the highway at 110km/h back home to Sydney, I checked my radiator to find that it had made poo-poo in my engine bay.

(imported from here)

The crack on the other side worsened too, so with my fingers crossed at the clouds rolling in, I gathered tools, got the car on axle stands, and got to work on changing the radiator.

Turns out I bought a radiator for an auto Impreza. :/

(imported from here)

The ever-reliable Audi (don't hear that often hey? ;)) will be taking me places while I find the right radiator. This is why I have two cars.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Can the auto rad not be coerced into mounting in a manual car?

110 is not flying. 110 is going with the flow :p

4. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Don't want to risk it. If I pierce that shrinkwrap, I won't be able to return it, which will be quite bad if it doesn't fit.

I've been driving heavy, comfy, long-geared European cars all my life. At 100km/h, this thing sits at 3000 RPM in top gear, and it feels like it's about to take off at anything over 90km/h... Terrifying.

I've already returned the radiator anyway. I'll just have to call around for a bit for a manual masterrace one.

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I hit 90 mph on my way in to work today. My truck feels more confident at 90 than it does at 70, where it rattles and feels like it's coming apart. I guess it's something to do with the way the wheels are balanced or something. It's definately driveline related and not Ohio's absolutely 100% perfect roads that are as smooth as silk and are maintained to the highest quality (sarcasm..... Sarcasm....).

6. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

The Focus, when we went to Florida more than a year ago, it went down 75 quite well. Most of the time was above 80, the average speed we went down was 85ish, and the car felt like it was going 45, even when it was going 100 in a few spots. (We were speeding because the rest of the people on that highway were flying too. Go with the flow.)

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I get a small vibration between 80 and 85mph, soon gone by the time I hit 90. I have hit 120, don't think there is much left in it at that point, there isn't supposed to be.

8. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

That is what you get with a 4 cylinder economy car... my car (as seen on a video) can only make it up to 90 before losing its breath.. the difference 20HP makes.

9. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Nope, got some universal mounts. I don't think there were OEM mounts on it before I changed them.

10. RORCAT

RORCAT
    Expand Collapse

Had a straight pipe put on...

#850 RORCAT, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  11. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

FAAARRT CANNON!!!

Well, atleast your car is actually rego'ed ;_;

3 weeks ago I got my learners permit! So now I can finally run people... I mean drive around town and not go over the respected speed limit, my personal car is a 1988 Nissan Patrol 4th gen GY90 (or GY60 I forgot the numbers) and its currently un rego'ed and is sitting in my shed, it runs and all but we're currently getting food discounts from vinnie's so money is an issue.

So my current car is a 2002 ford falcon wagon, I'mma get all the chicks in this car. Its not the fastest car in the world but if you put your foot down it moves just as fast as shit through a goose. (Note that when I'm in town I do stick to all road rules, only on private property do I fool around, so at my aunties farm.)

its an Auto, but my Nissan is a manual :p

#851 Whippy, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  12. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

That thing is like...raspy at high rpm.
    Way too loud.

13. mrboojay

mrboojay
    Expand Collapse

Speaking back on the trans issues, I think maybe due to the fact we had to replace the cooler. Before we did that the thing leaked fluid all over a parking lot, though it had to be driven just a bit more that day so it was probably low and the thing had run on pretty much 0 coolent for a month or 2 (kept loosing it). The van hits redline at about 6000 RPM and it doesn't shift from 1st to 2nd gear until it hits between 3000-3500 RPM while accelerating at modderate pace, whihc I don't think it did before. So another reason to keep your fluids up, some vehicles start doing weird things.

Also our silverado has been taken up to 90 MPH before, I don't know if it still could, but I know the thing sure feels loose at 70-75 and actually starts to feel more sturdy at 80. Similar to what you have happen redrobin.

And on the what I did to my car today (truck yesterday). I replaced the battery, thing suddenly either conked out or the contacts were just too far gone when someone tried to violently get it to work again... I was sittling with it completely off, I went to start it, made a cranking sound for a fraction of a second and died, battery was pretty much either dead or bad connection since then, jumped it ran died, and again when we put aluminum foil on the contacts. The battery seemed strongish before then. But man they are expensive now.

14. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I've taken the RAV4 past 80. It feels just as mushy and slow as any other speed, but the stuff outside the window moves by faster.

15. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I've had the crown vic up to 85ish. Drives awesome.
    I would've had it up to the limiter long ago but I only have my learners permit, so I'm constantly under parental supervision.
    I'm so fucking tired of waiting to get my license. I've been counting down the years for as long as I can remember.

16. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the day I got my P plates is one of the happiest days of my life. (P plates are what you get in Australia after your Learners) But getting my full license was better ;)

17. Combustibob

Combustibob
    Expand Collapse

Think the drivers side window motor in my Firebird gave out -_- I swear if it's not one thing it's another with that damn car.
    Also put about 120 miles on my truck today.... Grocery shopping. About 80 more going on her tomorrow. I love my truck.

18. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

I just finished replacing the thermostat after getting the OBD-II code P0128, which indicates a faulty thermostat. I didn't even bother draining the radiator, I just put a garbage bag underneath the upper radiator hose and let the coolant drain out from there. I'm honestly surprised at how well it worked out. :p

19. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Pulled the rear and front passenger seat and pulled the carpet up to try and get rid of a big bundle of police wires.
    When I did I found bad rust in the front passengers side foot well. :|
    Bad enough to poke holes in in some places. Sanded it down and put some rust neutralizer or some shit on it.
    I don't get it, this car is only 9 years old and it's been in the south all its life. If you get under the car and look, it's spotless. My theory is that water got in somehow and just sat there so it rusted.
    Damn cops.
    I just wanna get the interior back together.
    Oh yeah, I don't bear only bad news. I put the car up on ramps and investigated my trans leak yesterday. Most of it is coming from the trans pan and the gear selector linkage grommet thing, which are both pretty easy to replace. I was afraid it'd be the front seal, which requires separating the engine and transmission to replace.
    I also fixed the irritating vibration in the blower motor. I had the glovebox out when I was messing with the previously mentioned police wiring, and I noticed I could see the blower fan. There was a piece of foam stuck on the inside of it. I stuck one of those bendy metal grabby things back there and pulled it out. Quiet HVAC now. :D
    Attached pictures of leaky linkage and offending piece of foam.
    GjYS49zl.jpg

Attached Files:

• TSQ77G3l.jpg
    #859 Potato, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  20. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

I finally got my hands on a used airbox and installed it today. I was surprised how much it made my M3 quiet down in comparison to the K&N "cold" air intake that was on it previously, and it looks a lot better. Now I've just got to find some moron who is willing to pay $75 for a ricer intake to put on their likely neglected E46 M3. :p I'll probably just end up tossing it in the bin, I can't believe the previous owner spent $300 on that new.
    TOU0ea2.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice