What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. D-Troxx

D-Troxx
    Expand Collapse

Installed intercooler :)
    IMG_20161104_182444.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Nothing like replacing your alternator only to realize you had blown a fuse, and figuring out the reason my battery won't charge is because the alternator I bought was broken out of the box. don't be a rookie like me and change parts without doing a full diognostic. 3 hours later with a multimeter. screw you too advance auto parts, screw you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MotherTrucker02

MotherTrucker02
    Expand Collapse

Been there done that. When my dad and I were trying to fix my truck we bought, among other things, a $1,000+ dollar injection pump and it ended up being the ECM.

• Like Like x 1
  4. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Oh no doubt, you guys with nice trucks have it way worse. it just gets frustrating when you should know better but still make the fools mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AppleUserGetOverIt

AppleUserGetOverIt
    Expand Collapse

started my turbo install to my MR-S
    upload_2016-11-5_9-0-21.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

Hello i just got my wheel spacers for my 1970 elcamino and drove it for the 1st time!!! I made a video of it with the sound of the car(the last half of the video)

• Like Like x 1
  7. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

I replaced the rear wiper arm on my moms suburban after it being broken for over a year...
    Nice, that would probably be my all time favorite car.

8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Nice!

How'd you handle the ECM and what trans did you put behind it?

9. derpfleet55

derpfleet55
    Expand Collapse

Put it away for the winter, a very very sad day.
    This car has easily been one of the best purchases I have ever made, and I love it to death. On that note here is a collection of images over the summer, hopefully people that like AW11's can enjoy them as much as I have.

DSC_0406.jpg

Annoyingly I managed to crack the front spoiler on driving the car into its storage spot, come spring I will have to fill and touch up the crack. Luckily the paint forms most of the crack since the spoiler is rubber. As for how it happened, the ground driving up was mushy and the front wheels sunk down causing the spoiler to scrape the sidewalk blocks... of all the stupid things to happen on what was otherwise a perfect last drive. Oh well at least red is an easy color to match.

See damage (slight cracking)
    DSC_0382.jpg DSC_0383.jpg

Part 1: Friends!; Fun cars lead to fun times with friends!
    in order: Friends miata, Cousin's dart front comparison, dart side comparison, dart rear left comparison, dart rear right comparison, dart engine bay (340)
    DSC_0325.jpg DSC_0342.jpg DSC_0339.jpg DSC_0340.jpg
    DSC_0341.jpg DSC_0319.jpg
    The dart above is certainly much larger than the Mr2, though mostly in length.
    *For those interested the Dart is a 70' 340 swinger, completely stock ( including the color )

Part 2: Random photos

Front n' Rear, night, interior

DSC_0347.jpg DSC_0352.jpg DSC_0362.jpg DSC_0254.jpg DSC_0257.jpg

Last drive shots (should have cleaned the bugs off)
    DSC_0370.jpg DSC_0371.jpg DSC_0372.jpg DSC_0373.jpg DSC_0375.jpg

Scenic last few minutes before being tucked away under covers and tarps for the winter.
    DSC_0378.jpg DSC_0379.jpg

#2049 derpfleet55, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  10. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

That's a cool car. what a classic sports car.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bison

Bison
    Expand Collapse

Put an air defector on my Ranger. ;)

1105161130.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

That's what you get for not driving it year round :p

13. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

I bought a 2004 Chevy Avalanche from CoPart and for the ECU i got it tuned and got the anti-theft taken off. I put it under the driver side fender. The tranny is a 4L60E the stock one from the Avalanche.

14. derpfleet55

derpfleet55
    Expand Collapse

If only I could without the car turning into a rotted shell within a few years. This is 80's Toyota we are talking about.

On a side note I recently had to pay tribute to my EJ253 boxer head gaskets, for the cost to get those done I could have bought a ratty but perfectly working AW11 to use as a winter beater. Even if it is far from a perfect car for the task, the previous owner of my mr2 was forced to drive the car once in the winter after a snowfall because his other vehicle had stalled. Surprisingly, most likely due to the rear weight bias, the car had no trouble in the snow and it should be noted he lived in a hilly part of the Rocky Mountains.

If only I had a space to put it I would like another.. one problem with mine is I consider it too nice to beat upon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Very good points. I'm sorry you own a boxer equipped car. I though flat configuration engines were the shit until I got some experience with them. one cylinder bank, one cylinder head. it seems Porsche and Subaru are intent on carrying the torch. tradition only serves to stifle innovation. conventional wisdom is a double edged sword. why am I subjecting you all to lectures I'm not qualified to give? I'm bored.
    Seeing your mr2 makes me want to do this do bad. Toyota has an awesome compact midship but no compact engine that makes tons of power. Honda has a compact engine that makes tons of power, but not a great mid engined chassis to put it in. the mounts are 500 usd. the full k20a swap with kpro ecu will run 5k. find an mr2 with a blown engine and your in business.
    http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112142#/topics/112142?_k=x9e9yh

• Like Like x 1
  16. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Is the K20 like your LS swap or something?

• Like Like x 2
  17. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Sure is. we stole the LS thing from you too. an ls swap in Honda talk is a b18a or b18b from a 90 to 2001 non vtec integra. they have slightly longer strokes than the vtec b18s and do away with the trick cylinder heads. the k series and the real LS engines represent a huge chunk of swap candidates for a damn good reason. a friend of mine has a built ls in a fox body mustang. makes 350 whp all motor and 650 on spray. built in the boogie down Bronx! it's gotten so much easier to do wild swaps these days with the aftermarket support. I don't know why it intrigues me so much.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It's not a bad i4 to be fair, at least for applications where an i4 is most suitable. Though here in UK you're better off with a ford zetec or duratec unit or an Opel C20.

• Like Like x 2
  19. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Is there the same aftermarket support for those power trains? not even being sarcastic either, hasport makes kits to put that engine into so many cool cars. I also think its the best inline 4 engine ever produced pound for pound. not many engines are good for 125bhp per liter out of the box. here is an example in the UK I really adore. light, simple, capable, and fun.

The ford duratec is also a really great engine. at Watkins Glen I met a guy who had one in a formula car, and he spoke very highly of the duratec. his team was doing a lot of r and d on it and he told me they were making just under 300bhp at 8600 rpm and the engine still wanted to spin faster. I want to visit the UK.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The C20 refers to 2 different variants of same engine. The XE and the LET. The LET comes factory turbo. Nothing but a remap, boost regulator and a new intercooler is good for 300+hp. Full complement of forged/built components are available at which point 800hp has been achieved before.

Duratecs on boost arent a thing you hear of so often, but yeah 300hp is very much doable N/A on them. And while its rarer, yes you can boost one to some nice high figures.

Theres also the cosworth YB as a fairly popular big power inline 4. Its effectively a 2.0 pinto that someone thought letting cosworth get their hands on was a good idea. "At the end of its life in Group A in 1992, the Australian Sierra teams were reportedly getting around 600 bhp (447 kW; 608 PS) from the 2.0L turbocharged YB engines. For his pole position lap at the 1992 Bathurst 1000, Australian driver Dick Johnson (whose team since 1988 had a reputation for having the fastest Sierra's in Group A racing anywhere in the world) was reportedly running a special qualifying engine that was producing close to 680 hp (507 kW; 689 PS) in his RS500.".

K20. Not a common engine and not one that has alot of parts infrastructure. Any ford 4 pot or the opel C20 though. Both have large reserves of aftermarket parts and support available. Want a hondata ECU? Difficult to find here. Want an OMEX ECU? I can get one with adapter plugs to go straight to a ford sigma 1.6 harness with base map on it with next day delivery.

I aint saying K20s are worse than the C20 or a ford unit. Its just we work with what we have, and thats not a K20.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice