WIP Vintage Autobahn

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by chris_lucas, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Vintage autobahns means the highways that the people that ruled germany in the 1930's built?
    Now all i need is a Vw Beetle

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well now that i see that it's the VINTAGE autobahn, I like this even more.

Many folks hate and despise Adolf Hitler for what he did to the Jewish folk - I would agree with those people.
    However, it was he, he who invented the highways, to move the military rapidly around the country.
    Americans saw this in WW2 and brought the idea back, where it was implemented on turnpikes like the PA turnpike, and then later on by Eisenhower, creating the original 1950's US Interstate system. Other countries soon followed suit.
    Too bad the US cheaped out and used thinner concrete slabs. Fell apart quickly.

3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

It wasnt actually adolf who opened an autobahn it was konrad adenauer in the 20s but for boosting hitlers propaganda the first autobahn was declared as a country road by them

4. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

The highways weren't build for the war effort but just to look good(poor safety because of this), the concrete slabs where too thin for heavy machinery.

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That contradicts a lot of what I've read then. I heard they used about 10 inch thick slabs, or something like that. That would hold a lot of weight (if they used 6000 PSI "driving surface" concrete, not 4000PSI like a basement floor gets). Doesn't matter much now with some of it being 80 years old or so. I don't care what anyone says, you don't get more than 25~40 years out of concrete as a driving surface unless you don't have freeze-thaw cycles.
    I used to work in concrete construction, grew up in a family business of it, worked many years doing it.

I looked on wiki but it supports your opinion more than what I remember reading/hearing and I have seen a few documentaries on it. I would take your word on it over older, dated info that could have been wrong/have no way to prove, etc. Interesting read, the wiki is, though.

--Best of luck! Let me know if you need any help there. I will certainly enjoy this A LOT when it's done. Hope there's some loop of roadway out there so we can race around it for lap times. I know surely the crashes will be "splat-tacular" (translate: splat spectacular).

6. STICH666

STICH666
    Expand Collapse

Now all we need is a 1938 Auto Union Streamliner!

7. ripibishocovet

ripibishocovet
    Expand Collapse

i feel your pain man all because of a tiny fender bender i had to be late 5 hours

8. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Cool :)

10. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Hoverside filling station?

11. turbocow

turbocow
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It'll be nostalgic driving here with a bernside :D

12. Kcool_Turbo

Kcool_Turbo
    Expand Collapse

Any progress on this one? Its piqued my interest as I recently spent some time in Germany

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice