"VIN Number" archived save state for Buy / Sell / Trade

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by 1UZ-FE, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

As an extension to the incredible ability to save the complete state of a vehicle, what could really unify the whole unique identity for your own personal car would be a unique "VIN number" that would contain all data on the vehicle - parts, damage, etc. This would make sharing unique vehicles over the internet alot easier, and make the whole buy/sell/trade aspect alot more in-depth.

For now, I don't expect BeamNG to have a personal server to store every unique saved vehicle, however the "VIN number" will come along with the necessary files/data to be loaded properly and completely, or in case the person on the other end doesn't have this mod, BeamNG would detect the missing part of the mod, and prompt you if it should download it off of the mods section, or if it's unlisted online or not on the mods section, it would be contained within. Kind of like an archive but the "VIN number" is the "key" and once verified, executes commands to extract the vehicle within.

I guess the systemic process would be BeamNG creating a type of archive, verifying that all the supporting mods of the vehicle are official or on server, and any mods detected that aren't will automatically be added to a sub folder within the archive (or prompt you depending on the setting). All types of wear and damage will also be calculated and stored as metadata, along with mileage, so on and so forth. Once the archive is done, a hash file is created and the "VIN Number" key file is created and contains all data under it.

Imagine making a post about your vehicle for sale or trade or visa versa, and you can simply post a VIN number, like a magnet link. Once clicked, you'll be soon importing the car you got just like you would in real life!

#1 1UZ-FE, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

Just realized this in the wrong sub forum. Admins please switch it to ideas, sorry.

3. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

That would be neat. Just really complex though.

4. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

5. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about mod compatibility checks? If so, those are most likely coming when tdev updates the mod system.

6. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

I think he means a way to actually sell cars on beamng, as in saving the config, damage, etc, posting it online, then, people bid and buy it with non existent cash....

Honestly,mi think they way we do it right now is fine

7. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

But mod compatibility was a part of his idea.

8. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Ok
    i didn't read the whole thing, I read the first part and said 'yeah, got the general idea from those five words'

9. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

@1UZ-FE you've inspired me to start working on a new website just for buying and selling BeamNG vehicles and I'm going to see it through to the end.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Your actually going to pay bout $5 a month for that? Damn dude, your dedicated

11. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

$5/month? What do you mean?

12. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

For a website? You guys don't have to pay to make one?
    Tell me your secrets
    Who are your connections?

13. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Websites aren't free.

EDIT: Ninja'd

14. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so I'm not crazy, good, it was either that or Canada just gets the sh*t side of the stick, as usual

15. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

They aren't, but I plan on hosting the main framework on Github, the images on imgur, and the user-generated plain text (on listings) on my own Raspberry Pi-powered web server.

16. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm Canadian too so don't rule that out :p

17. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Oh, ok, glad I ain the only one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice