WIP Vehicle instabiity with custom mod

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by BD78738, Sep 24, 2017.

1. BD78738

BD78738
    Expand Collapse

For the past day I have been working on a type of expedition/camping style rack system for the D series. I have done some smaller mods here and there but have not encountered this problem. I believe it is due to the breakgroup beams connecting to the bed of the truck. My reason for thinking this part of the Jbeam is the problem is because as soon as I take that group of beams out, it works, but then i just moves around because it is not connected to anything. I have messed around with the "beamSpring", "beamDamp", "beamDeform", and "beamStrength" but have not been able to come up with a stable solution.
    I would appreciate if someone would look over the values to assist me in finding the solution.

I know there are more items in the model and there are no textures yet, but for now i am only looking to fix the attachment points.

Code:
              //attach
              {"beamSpring":1601000,"beamDamp":580 },
              {"beamDeform":180000 ,"beamStrength":90000000},
    //left        
              {"breakGroup":"Right 1"},
              ["b1ll","ls1b"],
              ["b2ll","ls1b"],

{"breakGroup":"Right 2"},
              ["b3ll","ls2b"],
              ["b2ll","ls2b"],

{"breakGroup":"Right 3"},
              ["b4ll","ls3b"],

{"breakGroup":"Right 4"},
              ["b5ll","ls4b"],
    //right
              {"breakGroup":"left 1"},
              ["b1rr","rs1b"],
              ["b2rr","rs1b"],

{"breakGroup":"left 2"},
              ["b3rr","rs2b"],
              ["b2rr","rs2b"],

{"breakGroup":"left 3"},
              ["b4rr","rs3b"],

{"breakGroup":"left 4"},
              ["b5rr","rs4b"],
              {"breakGroup":""},
        ],

Attached Files:

2. BD78738

BD78738
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the quick reply. Removing selfCollision got it working in game without errors, and the Spring and Damp values got it to stop falling around. Now what values should i mess with to stiffen up the attachment beams? Now when i drive over bumps or upon impact the rack moves around just slightly off center as if the beams are stretchy.
    --- Post updated ---
    another question. for realistic weights, what does

{"nodeWeight":1.0}, vs. {"nodeWeight":25.0},

equal on a real weight scale

3. BD78738

BD78738
    Expand Collapse

are the values scaleable? for example say i know beam spring 4300000 and node weight 25 is stable, but i want the node weight to be 2.5. could i use an equation to calculate a stable beamspring? like (X/2.5)=(430000/25) or something similar? or is it completely just guess and check.

4. BD78738

BD78738
    Expand Collapse

Well using the formula -

x= value i want, NNW= new node weight, ONW= old node weight, OB= original (stable) beam value that could be spring or damp

(x/NNW)=(OB/ONW)

I was able to come up with a stable product that works great. so i must have figured out the formula :). I also must not have had enough beams attaching to the truck bed because once i made more attachments it no longer moves or shakes.
    Now i just need to re-learn how to UV and add texture materials to the thing. then i can start on the other parts.

5. BD78738

BD78738
    Expand Collapse

Well i used the formula for the beamspring and the beamdamp separately, so "OB" could be used for both, you just have to do them separately. as for the beam per node issue i have no idea, lucky i haven't had a problem with that yet. i turned self collision back on and it worked like normal, so i believe by fixing the other values it must must have corrected the triangle/node problem somehow. i don't know know exactly but i'm not complaining. I also remembered how to UV, make it pretty, and export it. but now i'm the the process of figuring out what to do with the UV and how to do the texture maps and what each is again.

6. BD78738

BD78738
    Expand Collapse

I hate to bother you again but I don't want to clutter up the forums with more questions. I have gotten everything working and stable in game, but now I have ran into another problem. when I try to create a new material for my rack system, it just comes up with the typical "no material" orange. I have tried every method of creating a material found in the Wiki and that i have found on the forums, I have tried renaming everything in the code and on blender to make sure there wasn't an interference, deleting and recreating materials, I have even tried coping and pasting materials and material.cs code from other vehicles/mods, and i have cleared the cache for each attempt. I have come to a loss, so i was wondering if you could look through my files to make sure there is nothing strange. And I know none of my .DDS files are in the materials, I want to at least get a baseline before I implement them in an attempt to avoid points of error for this initial problem.

Attached Files:

#4 BD78738, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice