1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Vehicle Ignition System Changes

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by Diamondback, Oct 3, 2022.

1. bmwcrazy456

bmwcrazy456
    Expand Collapse

What about an option that goes across the entire game? For example, under the menu, the option to customize what happens in each ignition mode in the region/mfrs. we're familiar with? That way, we can each select our own behaviors - does that fall to the same problem of complicating things, or was that just for options of the behaviour of each individual car?

2. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

Really like the idea of this finally being implemented!

I think this would work fine for the ignition state toggling.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Without reading 3 pages, I like that it has different states being accessed by the same key, as opposed to something like PCars 2 that requires 2 buttons to start for some reason. The push/hold option is nice.
    I have no real opinion between the bootup and shutoff sequence since I'm only going to be using this if I stall out the car in manual gearing.

4. Zack_13358

Zack_13358
    Expand Collapse

One thing I would like to see on cars with gauges is when you turn the ignition on, the lights will all turn on to test themselves (i.e. Gavril Vertex), the gauges would default to 0 values (all the way down) and then slowly rise to their current values. Another thing I would like to see is older cars buzzing (1970's and older) and newer cars ding/beeping. For the on>acc or on>off situation my opinion is to make it an option/toggle in the settings under gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. DamienDutch

DamienDutch
    Expand Collapse

I think dimming (or no) headlights while starting could really add that extra emersion we miss rn.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. PowerstrokeHD

PowerstrokeHD
    Expand Collapse

Kinda off topic but I love how even the developers still use the OG GridMap (which is better in everyday)

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. mtslittow

mtslittow
    Expand Collapse

I prefer OFF -> ACC ONLY -> ON -> OFF -> ACC ONLY -> ON
    I think it's more intuitive and probably how most people use cars in real life. When I want to turn off a car in game, I don't want to double tap.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. logan__

logan__
    Expand Collapse

This would be awesome and a great addition.

9. Jsap20

Jsap20
    Expand Collapse

If you plan to add car startup chimes and door ajar lights on etc, that would be really interesting. With the T series and DT40L it could have the long electric tone on startup such as this:

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Raving_107

Raving_107
    Expand Collapse

1: Really like the hold to start feature (i can push start a car without having to stall it first!), but newer cars (~2005 and up) should just be a very short (just long enough so you dont accidently start the engine when you dont want to) hold then the computer takes over and cranks until engine starts or it gives up (~3 seconds)

2: The ignition UI app needs a refresh to make it more obvious what state the ignition is in. think this:
    upload_2022-10-6_22-34-36.png

3: I like Off > Acc > On > Acc > Off for realism reasons, but i feel like it should be Off > Acc > On > Off > Acc > On because im never switching to Acc after having the engine running, and if i want to i can just put it to Acc after going to Off. Ideally it would be an option to have either way but there's the deal of adding complexity/bugs.

4: Brake lights with ignition off should behave differently depending on the model of vehicle, like the brake lights work with ignition off in older cars, but doesnt in newer cars. I dont think it would be to hard just to handle on a vehicle by vehicle basis, but i understand not wanting to add unneeded complexity and debate

5: I think you should absolutely need to have an auto in park/neutral and clutch pressed in a manual to start. however there should also be a way to bypass it, especially for people that like to do crawling as using the starter to go slowly over difficult terrain is apparently a thing. ideally it would be a tuning option/ vehicle part option that controls it (ok maybe not a part option, as the part selector is already getting cluttered (new part selector when?))
    but just having a gameplay option for it is probably the best to keep it simple and prevent bugs.

It would be awesome to have it on a car by car basis but there is a lot of different behaviors different vehicle have that would take time to implement as shown by this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comme.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Like Like x 3
  11. DamienDutch

DamienDutch
    Expand Collapse

This is really the one thing thats been missing in this game, a proper ignition cycle.
    This game really does 1up itself every update somehow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

It mostly falls under " tiny detail that is surprisingly complex to do", so probably not gonna happen in the short term.

Sounds like you'd rather have more finely grained control over the siren/lightbar/lights instead of just a toggle cycle. Certainly makes sense, if only we weren't so limited by the amount of keys on a keyboard (or heck... gamepad...)

We currently do not have the ability to this on the GFX side of things :(

Yup, that's exactly how it works, you can long press from any state to turn on the engine.

Depends on the country mostly. It's surprisingly different :D

Unfortunately, the approach of "meh people will figure it out" doesn't quite work well enough with the majority of our userbase... :/

I looked into this and it seems easy enough to add, so that's what I did. We'll see if I find some super weird corner case that ruins it again...

I currently do not have plans for a starter battery simulation, but the more realistic feature I add, the more necessary it becomes... Maybe in the future :)

I'd really like to avoid another option for this, you have no idea how much trouble the existing options already cause... Arcade mode will probably behave "correctly" though and use P/N when starting.

Eh....What?

Yup, that is already possible in the public versions even :)

No, adds too much complexity unfortunately.

Again, unfortunately way too much complexity for what it delivers...

It loads faster... If you load a map possibly hundreds of times each day, even 5s difference bunch up.

Yea that could be an idea, where is that image from?

• Like Like x 14
  13. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

@Diamondback referencing @PowerstrokeHD's suggestion about American cars' reverse lights turning on when in accessory mode, GM has a fun quirk that happens to include them having their reverse lights on during accessory mode as well as for a bit after turning the vehicle off. I believe it was mostly a gag suggestion but it would be funny. It's the bane of everybody in a parking lot because you'll always be unsure whether a GM vehicle is backing out of a spot or not.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Shrub In A Squeeze

Shrub In A Squeeze
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

the chime and lightbar would be good maybe a siren toggle button where you can have 2 sirens and not 1?, and how about adding an explosion sound and making them more powerful? that would be good for action movies.

16. ARES IV

ARES IV
    Expand Collapse

Personally I would favour:

OFF -> ACC ONLY -> ON -> ACC ONLY -> OFF

Quickly doubletapping V to fully shutdown the vehicle doesnt strike me as an big issue... and you can do it long before the engine RPM reaches zero even with engine in neutral gear.

And I love holding down the V button for it to start sooner or later.

I would love to have all lamps inside the car light up on ignition on (for all cars that dont have a display). That way you would not have to torture cars to their untimely demise to find out if a car actually has some lamps in the first place.

Making ignition status clear:

Instead of the little LED, how about an illuminated circle arround the engine start stop button?

OFF - keep current

ACC ON

IGNITION ON

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 1993 MAZDA MIATA

1993 MAZDA MIATA
    Expand Collapse

like your name red robin is one of the best restaurants

18. WarDaddyUSA

WarDaddyUSA
    Expand Collapse

How will this affect LUA code in mods that rely on the 0-2 ignition system?

#58 WarDaddyUSA, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stiles

Stiles
    Expand Collapse

Probably nothing, as I believe he stated it'll be a realism option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jamessimo

jamessimo
    Expand Collapse

To add with Electric cars. wouldn't the logic be OFF -> ON (skip both ignition AND accessories only).

Electric cars don't have accessories only mode per se, they are ON but when in the park they are kinda in Accessories only mode but you can shift into drive and drive off. (I own a Nio ES6 and that's how it works in that and TESLAs ).

For the questions,

1. I like the first option
    2. For Gas cars no, again electric cars I mentioned above.
    3. LOVE IT!

Sorry to bother you, but looking for answers here and would love any help
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/edit-new-odometer-value.88523/

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice