WIP Vehicle Creation

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by JoshTheAwesome, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JoshTheAwesome

JoshTheAwesome
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I have read the vehicle creating tutorail and i am so confused.

Is there an video tutorial on how to make a custom car?

2. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Did you skim through the tutorial? Go back and read it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoshTheAwesome

JoshTheAwesome
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I read it for at least 70 minutes. I Guess Im a Visual learner

4. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

To make a vehicle you need to be able to read and understand things. Including Jbeam, materials and other things. From what ive seen, you only make config mods so vehicles for the time being may be a bit out of your league. By all means try but start easy stuff so you dont give up in the modelling or jbeam phase.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoshTheAwesome

JoshTheAwesome
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Is there any video.

i watched a video on how to skin and i learned

6. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I can say this with confidence. No.

7. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

The duration in which an automobile requires to be created is much too long for a tutorial to be developed young chap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JoshTheAwesome

JoshTheAwesome
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

OMG!! I am asking if there is a video. Not if you guys think if i am qualified to make a damn car

9. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

NO there is not.

10. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

You read, get help and move on. If you cannot seem to follow all 3 steps, then sadly my friend, you cannot make a vehicle unless you are very, very lucky.

11. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

You can not make a vehicle mod for BeamNG.drive by watching a video. Period. /thread

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It would be possible to make a video tutorial series though, it might take close to year to make though and it would not cover all different parameters.

Even after watching such tutorial series one would not be quite ready yet, there is quite lot of information that still needs to be learned, for example one would need to understand roll centers in order to be able to understand how to set up suspension correctly etc.

I guess it is possible to make working vehicle without knowing such things, but if we think about what it takes to make good realistic vehicle, it is thousands of pages from suspension engineering alone.

That is kind of stupid as there could be a software that builds suspension beams withing given specs, so that only maker of such software needs to spend couple of years learning stuff, but until such comes, everyone has to spend years learning that stuff. (time might be shorter if person can devote more time from daily life to this hobby or if person already knows the stuff).

So there could be more better quality mods if capable and clever persons would use huge amount of time to create tools and guides to help others instead of making mods, but then again it would mean long time without any good mods coming, also not everyone enjoys making tutorials or tools, people do what they enjoy from and that is absolutely right too.

Currently making vehicle mod certainly is not for everyone, best is to start making props, little things, then maybe addons to vehicles, slowly doing that one gets more content and starts to know way around files etc. After that it is easier to get vehicle tutorial.

If something feels too complicated it probably is, better learn something related that is not yet overly complicated and try thing which felt overly complicated later after learning other stuff, some day vehicle making tutorial is not too complicate. Something to do with learning curve and climbing steps instead attempting to climb a wall at first attempt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

You think?
    Just explaining the basics of jbeaming and how to get a model working in-game properly could help a ton of new modders.
    Sadly there arent any video like this anywhere. Id make one but i prefer not having my voice in a video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Microsoft Sam (speech synth thing) or Microsoft notepad works too and it would help many? I know it would be huge amount of work though and takes planning preparation etc. not only recording time. Also first need to do dry run to make sure no surprises pops up and then recording, so again takes more time, but that is how it will be good.

I have watched many tutorials that use notepad and as a non native English speaker I kinda like it, sometimes better than speech.

Just my thoughts of course, don't let speech to stop you if you are willing to spend time and effort, I'm sure many will thank you if you decide to do it, even with "notepad speech".

15. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

I actually didnt think of using the notepad speech thing. Thanks for mentioning it. Now i just need to. Get the recording stuff again.. Im not that good with that.
    If i actually end up doing this its not gonna be pretty but its gonna do its job, help new modders.

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I haven't made videos of such, just watched some and at one point I had few weeks of video making education, tip I want to share is to have a skeleton, some kind of script so you have planned thing ahead and then do one dry run as there usually is something that pops up, it takes more time that way but effort + time = quality or something like that.

I'm still struggling with getting things in game part and with files, it takes time until I can do anything proper, I might otherwise. But PM me with anything you need, I'm always ready to help if I just am enough good to help with anything :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Once I finish my other two mods, I actually plan on doing just this thing. Making a video to show how to mod for BeamNG. It will be a simple mod that doesn't need to much structure of modeling work to get it up and working correctly. Basically, I will base my tutorial off of me building a Peel P50... Starting from Scratch and moving on up all the way to final testing and refinement. I plan to cover not only JBeam's but 3D Modeling and texturing as well. If I feel really ambitious then I might even include sounds, but I am not sure about doing that yet. Also, naturally, this would be a series because there is no way I could cram this all into one video... no way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think that is a lot for a one guy to do, not sure how it would be possible to share to workload for different guys though, also it might need updating when new versions of BeamNG comes up. What I know that such might be one of the biggest thing for BeamNG.

19. Shumayal

Shumayal
    Expand Collapse

We are the Khan Academy millennials. I have been searching like this too. After reviewing a lot of the internet and trying my hand at the wiki tutorial, I would easily conclude without a doubt that
    1. Vehicle Creation requires a lot of dedication and practice which comes with a steep learning curve. Maybe existing expert modders can share their stories from their first mods.
    2. The Wiki Vehicle Creation tutorial is great but if somebody can just create a video based on the same tutorial, that will satisfy much more people like us. People who are spoilt by the likes of MOOCs (myself included).
      "Reading"- Unfortunately, has become too boring for the lazy.
    On a different note, I donate to Khan Academy and I wouldn't mind donating to even modders & especially those who take their time out to create said tutorials. I am sure many would appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice