Use BeamNG to fly spaceships and crash into stuff?

Discussion in 'Air' started by CoffeeCrazy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully this isnt off-topic. But with some code for thrusters, then jet engines are possible am i right? If so can anyone say Jet powered Dragster? :).

Or what about a Moon/Mars map? With a land rover and such, the same gravity and craters etc. Either way some type of space/different planet conditions with crashing and what not would be awesome.

2. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

Oops, I didn't open the link. I just searched, my bad.

3. CoffeeCrazy

CoffeeCrazy
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he saw that. Lol.

I was the only modeler for the game. Too much to work on and I didn't have enough time to work on it. I went to other Starship communities and asked for some donation models to fly around in the game, and the lack of support was amazing. Apparently after being let-down from Excalibur, people no longer wanted to let others use their models.

You can see images and videos for the game here:
    http://rdh.9us.us/post/?post=13

Progress was pretty decent, just before we quit we almost had warp-drive finished. Our galaxy was populated by excel charts with coordinate locations. So you could plot a course and warp to another system, and it would take an appropriate amount of time. Earth and the Moon were at about 1:1 scale, so it was indeed massive. However you couldn't fly into the atmosphere, it was just a detailed model meant to be viewed at a distance.

#23 CoffeeCrazy, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

Guys, I have thought about a couple of issues with this "flying" idea.
    1. This is a realistic simulator, meaning if there were to be planes they'd have to explode in most crashes. That would cause a lot of lag.
    2. It would mean city maps would need a limit or people would just start remaking 9/11.
    Anymore issues you can think of?

5. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Not that im saying that remaking 9/11 is a good idea, but as theres no way this harms anyone, but theres no way to keep people from doing it. I mean, Sure itsmessed up to recreate a terrorist attack in a game, but theres no reason it should limit map makers in how they want to make their maps...

Also, they wouldn't need to explode, simply deform or break, as theres no way to simulate fuel burning, physically that is, in game.

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse

I want the files

7. Only1Balto

Only1Balto
    Expand Collapse

Looks great. What class ship is this? I'm not familiar with it. Or was it your own design? Awesome either way. Go ST!

8. Daunlouded

Daunlouded
    Expand Collapse

Waiting for the Death Star then.

Or not. I don't think it would be a hardware issue, its more like lack of interest. Not sure how many players would like to play it just for the crashes so making it wouldn't be worth the effort.

9. minerman30

minerman30
    Expand Collapse

I would much rather have flyable planes. Not only would the maps look beautiful from above, but it would be fun to see a Cessna high-wing crumple into a mountainside.

10. Crimson

Crimson
    Expand Collapse

i would love this post it so i can use em i always dreamed of a simulator with a spaceship in it and crash into anything anywhere even in a desert map a huge desert map cant wait to use one and see it crash so realisticly

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Check out space engineers. That is a vowel based build your own spaceship type thing that allows you to crash ships into rocks/ other ships with pretty nice deformation.

12. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Very good consonaut models too if I may say so.

13. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

Space Engineers is pretty sweet I've been maxing out and corrupting files for a couple days =D cant wait for 64bt.;)

14. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

It does look really cool, I'm just waiting for a sale.

- - - Updated - - -

The sad thing is, the maps are not ariel maps. Fly around in the editor. They are a bit small and the trees get funky from a distance.

15. CoffeeCrazy

CoffeeCrazy
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the late reply, have been super busy.

http://9us.us/ship1.zip

16. TheAdmach

TheAdmach
    Expand Collapse

Great Idea! I think this will be a huge hit. I would also love for you to put the file up. Thanks!

P.S. When you post the files I will make a video for it.

17. epiczombiekill

epiczombiekill
    Expand Collapse

you have got to post that it looks sick

18. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

You should try this thing called reading.

19. Morthgal

Morthgal
    Expand Collapse

Now here's A little thing to add to this... Planes! If you could have A plane with an opening back that would be awesome! Then you could, if its A large cargo plane, drive A car into the back, take off, switch to the car and drive it out that would be so cool! If anyone could do that that would be awesome!:D

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Forum search. There are 2 *released* mods for planes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice