1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

    Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

    Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

  1. ghost_cauli

    ghost_cauli
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2022
    Messages:
    1,433
    It's the minor improvements over (long) time vs burning down everything and starting anew argument here.

    Lighting (and shadows), GI, atmospherics, also more technical stuff like DLSS... I know it technically can be done with the engine we have now but it's either adding more patches on an already exhausted engine or rewriting larger parts from the ground up. And I'm worried that Beam devs don't want to do the former and don't have the capacity to do the latter.

    Considering this, in a hypothetical scenario in which the devs decided to give this game a graphics overhaul, I think it would be better to use the resources they have to move to a different engine that already can do that stuff instead of trying to implement it in the engine we have now.



    It's a custom physics engine built on top of a pretty old game engine.

    Sure, there's no point comparing Beam to Forza because those two have completely different style. People go after the colorful and themed looks of Forza (good graphics!) while Beam aims for more realistic looks, which tend to be pretty bland in comparison (bad graphics!).

    It doesn't change the fact that the lighting system is what really holds the game back both in looks and performance. It works fine with one light (usually the sun), but add street lamps and the game explodes. And dont get me started on headlights (or the lack of them).
     
    #76921 ghost_cauli, Feb 10, 2026
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2026
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ShakeandBake

    ShakeandBake
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2025
    Messages:
    458
    If they started over on a new game engine, then we wouldn't have updates for BeamNG. And we wouldn't get the new game...for years. They will have effectively abandoned their customers. Abandoned them when the game is doing better than it ever has; it's #34 on Steam's daily active users, which is crazy.

    I just looked it up and iRacing has been around since 2008. There's always a new shiny thing around the corner. But if a game can stick around, and the devs continue to support it, and the community continues to enjoy it, that's something special
     
    #76922 ShakeandBake, Feb 10, 2026
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2026
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. coolmancool

    coolmancool
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2025
    Messages:
    132
    I kinda don't want them to upgrade the graphics too much, I still want to run the game
     
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Brother_Dave

    Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    I for one wants all the graphic updates i can get my hands on, ill just lower them when I my fps need it to be lower. Dont take me wrong, i have a potatis puter but I can take lower fps alot of the time since I go for slow, long drives for the most part. Drifting, well then I lower it.
     
  5. Occam's Razer

    Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2013
    Messages:
    1,382
    This is indeed that argument, and I don't feel too buckwild for saying that I'm not a fan of arson. The devs have been using this engine for a long time, and have modified it so extensively that it can no longer be considered off-the-shelf. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I opened a .TS file. None of this is to say it's perfect, but it can't be argued that what they have is really all that old, and it really can't be argued that it isn't theirs.

    Not completely OT and possibly subjective, but obligatory: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/ TLDR, starting over doesn't mean 'no problems,' it usually just means 'new problems.' Polishing turds isn't a glamorous job, but it's practically the definition of development. I, for one, think it can be done; the engine can be tuned to give it what it needs. And I, for one, am not sure that such a small developer could handle something so heavy as an engine swap while staying on timeline and within budget.

    Also, what engine would they use? All the ones that are known for their visual appeal are pretty closed-source and take a fair but potentially infeasible license fee.
     
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fleming520

    Fleming520
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2025
    Messages:
    9
    Auh...Wentward DT40L bus need remaster!Need new texture,material,new part,and new configuration!:mad:
    I think it can add new engines(example:200kw heavy duty electric motor,550CUI Belasco-diesel I6 engine)new wheels(example:split wheels):)
     

    Attached Files:

    • screenshot_2026-02-08_12-55-08.png
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. sceeth

    sceeth
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2020
    Messages:
    72
    maybe we have teaser today?
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. amuguuuuu

    amuguuuuu
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2023
    Messages:
    370
    possibly
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Koichiro Iketani

    Koichiro Iketani
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2018
    Messages:
    957
    Not to mention it's the 2nd most played driving game behind Euro Truck Simulator 2
     
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. CrashHavenBNG

    CrashHavenBNG
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2025
    Messages:
    3,287
    Tbh prob not, but we can hope
     
  11. SUBARUWRXSTI 2002

    SUBARUWRXSTI 2002
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2026
    Messages:
    190
    Yes I agree.
     
  12. Man_in_Black

    Man_in_Black
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2024
    Messages:
    299
    I think we're beginning to be overdue for our first teaser.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CrashHavenBNG

    CrashHavenBNG
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2025
    Messages:
    3,287
    I hope we get one
     
  14. Miura22402

    Miura22402
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2025
    Messages:
    110
    Ehh, I don't think so, the update will most likely be in april, and we're not even halfway into february
     
  15. gtaman788

    gtaman788
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    1,181
    Teaser season often starts end of feb :) early march, However it is possible to be later or more early, :) god let there be a 4 door moonhawk, Am a broken Record :p


    but 4 door moonhawk or not, i cant wait to see what the awesome devs cook for us :)
     
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Peanut Driver

    Peanut Driver
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2024
    Messages:
    19
    I recently dreamt that the next update would feature NASCAR-like car(s). I don't know if it was a new car or just new configurations. Yes, there was an oval track. It looked so real.
    I know this sounds a bit random, but I'm writing this because I regret not having written about a time when I foresaw in a dream a part of the GTA VI map and features: a shopping mall with working elevators, way before the trailers and leaks. The shopping was big, had white aesthetics and was in that Miami zone where there is a river in between the city blocks. I dove in there to escape the cops during a chase that started at that same mall. It felt really real too.
    Anyways... I know this BeamNG update probably won't happen, but that's exactly what I thought about my GTA VI dream at the time, so, just in case... If it doesn't happen, at least I got to share this story with someone for the first time ever lol
     
  17. CrashHavenBNG

    CrashHavenBNG
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2025
    Messages:
    3,287
    The chosen one over here
     
  18. ITHEPUNISHER

    ITHEPUNISHER
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2018
    Messages:
    667
    Hear me out... A teaser drop on Valentines Day please.
     
    • Agree Agree x 7
  19. SUBARUWRXSTI 2002

    SUBARUWRXSTI 2002
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2026
    Messages:
    190
    lol agreed
     
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Brother_Dave

    Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1,777
    Is this the update where autoexposure/eye adaption comes back ❤️
     
    #76940 Brother_Dave, Feb 14, 2026
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2026
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice