1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

The biggest issue within our game is still the perception of speed, it's just very difficult to really judge how fast your are going, even in normal cars. Combine that with a ludicrously fast car like the scintilla and you very quickly get issues controlling the thing because you are simply too fast.

• Agree Agree x 38
  2. Acrain7

Acrain7
    Expand Collapse

That's where motion blur comes in! :D

Isn't that something that cannot currently be implemented due to game engine limitations, unless I am mistaken?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

I don't know why we don't have that yet tbh.
    Probably the usual array of "oh shit, we can't do it like every other game does it because we can't hack things that depend on physical properties like speed".
    But realistically I don't know.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Acrain7

Acrain7
    Expand Collapse

I think that would do a ton for the sensation of speed, as well as perhaps increasing the fov exponentially with acceleration, to give the sense of being pushed back into your seat? I've only seen it done a couple of times, but personally I find it makes a huge difference.

Also, if wind noise were to be implemented, the increase in the volume of wind noise as speed increases would be a great way to subtly clue the player into the increase of speed.

Personally i usually use a combination of those factors and vibrations through the wheel or controller to be able to feel my speed, though those generally are only useful for grip levels during cornering. Perhaps if there was a way to translate that into straight line speed, as well?

• Like Like x 5
  5. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

It has a very high power to weight ratio and the power comes in at high RPM, so you need to be careful with the throttle to avoid breaking the rear wheels loose. For understeer, you need to brake into turns, as you would when driving any racing car.
    How about changing the SSAO settings outside of photo mode? The low quality default is causing weird vegetation shading, I think

#45105 vmlinuz, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Hm, it's a modern NA engine with a really smooth torque curve, why would power come suddenly?

• Agree Agree x 9
  7. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Maybe not "suddenly," but it's easy not to fully understand how much power you're putting to the wheels if you're used to cars that have their power down low.

SSAO settings outside of photo mode, we need them! Hopefully that fixes parts of the trees turning black for some reason. Oversteer assist should also be disabled by default as it seems to be confusing some players

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Aquila:)

Aquila:)
    Expand Collapse

I don’t really agree with the electronic systems, I find them very good to be honest, they can save you very well, corse/ race mode isn’t really too invasive, your car will still oversteer enough and the driftmode actually helps you drifting for the first time. If you are driving on a racetrack tho, you obviously need to drive without the systems to get the maximum out of the car, like irl
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah, seems like some players are confused by it but it is actually more realistic than having it turned off as you can steer against it and if you don’t give inputs it turns in the opposite direction your car is moving. This happens in real life as well which you can also see on wheels with ffb…

9. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Then I would probably add a first-run notification saying that the feature is turned on and giving a brief summary of how it works and why it's needed

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

Afaik it is because t3d never really supported it... So it would have to ba made from scratch... Which is not completely trivial

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BeezNeez

BeezNeez
    Expand Collapse

i speak hindi i just cant write it :/

• Like Like x 1
  12. dinosaur202

dinosaur202
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess I should've clarified :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Something like

"BeamNG.drive now features Oversteer Control Assist to improve playability for keyboard and controller users. It adjusts your steering input in real time to avoid or manage oversteer. This can be configured or disabled in Options > Gameplay."

Thinking I might disconnect the old FFB wheel and try out a controller today

#45113 vmlinuz, Jun 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. xXNitroGamerXx

xXNitroGamerXx
    Expand Collapse

If the moonhawk is next on the list for remastering I hope they add a 1979-1983 facelift model with the ugly overly boxy and slow peformance/designs from oil crisis era vehicles such as the 1979 cutlass supreme
    --- Post updated ---

--- Post updated ---
    what the bruckell moonhawk also needs is 2 interiors (regular and facelift)

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. dinosaur202

dinosaur202
    Expand Collapse

Looks like the moonhawk got some new wheels too.
    upload_2022-6-16_13-48-17.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. moses72

moses72
    Expand Collapse

ooh nice
    so on the topic of confirmed moonhawk remaster, i think it needs either an overweight extended soliad cousin (like the modded sunville) or a weird early 1970s failed hatch cousin (like the pinto)
    also needs a landau top, stock car maybe, and definitely a wagon/ute

#45116 moses72, Jun 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

I need a Pinto in BeamNG. Though, if they were to add it, they'd have to make fire do more damage to the car for realistic crashes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jopa56

Jopa56
    Expand Collapse

Are we gonna get realistic mirrors? Like we would see our car in mirrors.
    Or maybe maybe VR? :):)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ITHEPUNISHER

ITHEPUNISHER
    Expand Collapse

@Diamondback i hate to ask this but can you give us the slightest little nibble of news about the covet remaster? ETA? DOHC VTEC engine sound, saloon/wagon variant,

I know you can't say anything but not even a tinie weeny tiny bit plz? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Aquila:)

Aquila:)
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, seems like some players are confused by it but it is actually more realistic than having it turned off as you can steer agains
    being able to see the own car in the mirrors would actually make me use them because right know you can’t estimate distances in the mirrors properly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice