1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the Venturi and Bernoulli effects don't exist in BeamNG. But F1 cars in BeamNG can still ride the Gridmap V2 bankings upside down!

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Which is exactly why I'm more excited for the Covet remaster than for the supercar. The Covet doesn't require top-notch simulation of literally every parameter just to function, it is well within the bounds of what can realistically be done in BeamNG and made fun. I'm still skeptical that the engine can handle a modern supercar in its current state, but I look forward to being proven wrong! Why more people aren't talking about Mr. Turbo is beyond me

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. moses72

moses72
    Expand Collapse

because a brand new supercar is a (mostly) completely new concept for beamng?
    covet V6R4 was basically just a modded eh quality Mr. Turbo
    but yeah mr. turbo should be talked about more

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

It's odd that the tailgate being up hinders acceleration - in real life, the tailgate being up causes the air to swirl in a way that actually makes it more efficient...:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  5. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

That's the very first time I actually read something like this. :confused:
    --- Post updated ---
    Tbh, the Mr. Turbo is based on an ordinary 4-cylinder Hatchback and we already have plenty of those, either out there or in BeamNG. So even if it's a mid-engined Hatchback, there's no getting away from the fact that the Mr. Turbo is still based on a boring Hatchback.
    Supercars are very rare in comparison, so it's natural for them to attract our attention more.

P.S.: Not that I don't like the Covet, mind you. I like all BeamNG cars, each for its own unique reasons. And the Mr. Turbo will be covering a certain peculiar niche we all in here love very much - me included. But a Hatchback and a Supercar are two totally different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

That supercar can only be fun if the simulator can support it, which is a pretty big if at this point. On the other hand, the Covet has been an absolute blast since day one and it would be pretty hard to mess up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

This thread has gone places... and by that I mean, good places! From update speculation, to update confirmation and discussion!
    Maybe I'm over analyzing, but couldn't "sunny and dry" hint at a Dry Rock Island remake?

• Agree Agree x 11
  8. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

You're right, the Covet was never fast or great handling and that's why it's so fun.
    But so has the Bolide been. If anything, the Bolide is an old Supercar, not relying that much on technology and the laws of physics to go fast. A modern Supercar is much more dependent on this respect than an 80s Supercar like the Bolide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

The Bolide isn't a modern supercar, it was never meant to have the same level of balance and optimization characteristic of newer supercars. Not to mention, since the remaster it's handled noticeably worse unless you have a force-feedback wheel for which it was quite clearly made. All I'm saying is that a modern supercar would push the engine to its absolute limit and it is still an open question where that limit is, while a spicy Covet would maximize fun while still being well within the simulator's comfort zone.

My suggestion to the developers, in summary, is to play to the strengths and limitations of the technology at hand. For instance, the greatest Commodore 64 games didn't try to defy the platform's weak 6502 CPU to implement some kind of 3D graphics, but took full advantage of the video chipset to push 2D sprites and backgrounds around at breakneck speed.

#42529 vmlinuz, May 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Dry rock island would be cool, since it is one of the original maps from Beam, a remake of it would be interesting

I might be biased simply because before I could buy the game I used to play DRI on a slightly modified version of the demo since it was one of the only maps that would load with textures, good times....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. n0ckboi

n0ckboi
    Expand Collapse

I see a high chance for SBR4 remaster with new hybrid system coming with Civetta. I don't think it needs that much love and configurations but some body changes and more engine variants.
    Also, it could be rivalling new civetta in gt racing homologations.

Although we could say ETK-800 could get hybrid too..

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

But to find out where those limits are, we need to try things. And things only improve if people are constantly pushing the boundaries. :)

• Agree Agree x 44
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

You're acting like they didn't use a test bed before deciding if the performance would be an issue. Knowing Diamondback it was probably an AWD 700hp Miramar test bed...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

The covet is literally the best handling car in the game

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. (sam)Vallalaharta_.

(sam)Vallalaharta_.
    Expand Collapse

I think there is still not enough downforce in the game. The Hillclimb SBR4 is only 14 seconds faster than a Porsche 911 GT2 RS at the Nürburgring, the porsche being a street car and the SBR4 having slicks and some tremendously large wings. I attribute this to the fact that there is no ground effect in the game. (yet)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SNFriedM14

SNFriedM14
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn’t say best but definitely up there. I personal love the way the ETK K trackday drives

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

If you're interested, I've got a few links - the titles may not all be correct, but the info checks out :)
    Myth Busted? Driving With The Tailgate Down Increases Gas Mileage (rumbleon.com)
    » Tailgate Up/Down and Gas Mileage (scangauge.com)
    Mythbusters: tailgate up or down for better gas mileage | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon (coloradofans.com)
    Foreign Service | Impact of Excess Alcohol in Fuel | MOTOR Magazine (from the SAE)
    Truck Owners - For The Best Gas Mileage Leave The Tailgate Up
    Which is more fuel efficient, driving with a pickup's tailgate up or down? (autoblog.com)
    MythBusters Car Myths - Auto Myths Debunked (popularmechanics.com)
    Will Dropping Your Tailgate Improve Your Truck's Gas Mileage? (motorbiscuit.com)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

You mean underbody aero devices? Because ground effect is something completely different. It's when a plane flies close to the ground and forms a air cushion under it's wings/body

19. zachariah.74

zachariah.74
    Expand Collapse

I know aero exists in BeamNG, I just have my doubts it's well off enough to cope with simulating a modern supercar

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Acrain7

Acrain7
    Expand Collapse

I mean, you are either comparing a game to real life and assuming that the only difference between the two is aero, despite the lack of tire thermals and a presumably imperfect track recreation, or you are comparing the sbr4 to a GT2 RS mod for BeamNG, which is most likely not built to the same standards of reality and precision as the official vehicles, so no matter the reason I'd definitely take these times with quite a few helpings of salt.

• Agree Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice