The game is still in an alpha release. Expecting mods to never break in a game that isn't even in a beta state is totally unreasonable. Once a game is fully released, mods should absolutely not break when an update comes out, but delaying updates for a game in its alpha version to accommodate mods is ridiculous. The dev team has done a wonderful job to make sure mods don't break with game updates, but major updates, such as how the game is rendered, will obviously break mods, and that is a worthwhile sacrifice in order for the game to advance.
Estama tweeted this a year ago, I wonder if they are still looking into global illumination. https://twitter.com/estama2/status/1261656886111322113
Wasn't there another estama tweet about audio ray tracing to change the sound between when your doors are closed vs opened? Right now if your car has an open roof, the interior camera still sounds like there is a roof.
Yeah I think there was. Tdk has also talked a lot about audio ray tracing, but from what he's said it doesn't sound like it's ready.
Diffuse maps and normal maps are in both pbr and current rendering engine I don't think it will change much might just look less advanced than mods made after the pbr update (So I don't think the next update will break many mods)
Techincally diffuse maps are NOT pbr ready as the common diffuse map contains some lighting info in it, for pbr the 'diffuse' should actually be 'albedo' which only has the 'true color' of the material, while that lighting info gets transferred to an AO map. But also as I, you, and a few others have stated... YOU CAN RUN SPEC GLOSS AND PBR AT THE SAME TIME. IT WONT BREAK MODS IF IMPLEMENTED WELL.
Wait a minute... If the Ibishu Hopper military variant is called ''Classic'', and it's description is: ''A tribute to a classic military vehicle'', would that mean that a 1940 Ibishu Hopper would be canon?
Well, Japan also made military ''Jeeps'' in the era, such as the Kurogane Type 95. So it would be plausible that a 1930s-1940s era Ibishu Hopper existed. (Look at this thing, looks like a toy car lmao)
Hopefully it's been a thing that's been a long time coming so they'll have most of it done by now.. I really don't wanna wait for it to be honest lmao, too hyped. First thing I'ma do is recreate these with PBR. It'll be photorealistic.
I think it's just a "joke config" like the FATT, it's obviously supposed to be a reference to the Willys
it'd more likely be something korean war era, like a suzuki LJ20, or toyota weapon carrier. but such a vehicle wouldn't really bring new driving dynamics (or aesthetics) to the game, so they likely won't make anything like it.
Id hate to see the day when mods stop something as vital for current gen graphics as PBR. Ive been releasing a gfx mod for the last 5-6 years atleast and it will most likely "break" mine but its a good thing. I always update my mod after every beamng update. If a mod breaks its because ITS outdated, not the other way around.
Be warned, pbr is not the secret to photorealism. Photorealism has existed even before PBR rendering like we know it now, the materials are a big chunk but so is lighting. And lets be real... beamng lighting is ass. games from 2013 have done it better. But the devs probably will work on that next, since I doubt pbr is the stopping point.
As Agent_Y already said, it's probably meant more as a tribute to the actual real life Willys Jeep than to a previous generation Hopper. Speaking of interesting things hidden in car descriptions, the D15 Custom Classic description says something about previous generations of the D-series, but that just confirms their existence in the BeamVerse.
I'll just get this out of the way first on the pictures I'm posting about, if this is a mod please feel free to correct me. Now with that out of the way on to the speculation, as I was driving through the recently resurrected Las Colinilas de Vapor I made a stop at the added dealership and as I pulled in I spotted this guy. Never seen it before and I recognized the others as a few barstow's, a roamer, and a sunburst, but this buggy(maybe the wigeon?) was new so is it a car buried in the files or am I being dumb and its just a mod I don't know about.
Firstly you're playing on a modded map so that answers one question if it's a mod or not. Second it's DrowsySam's DSC Scarab but covered up. Also a mod