WIP Tyre Wear and Thermals Mod (discussion)

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Zesty_Maple98, Feb 26, 2024.

1. RubyNarwhal

RubyNarwhal
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I feel like sport tires have too little grip when cold compared to when hot. While this makes sense for race tires, sport tires are meant to perform decent when cold as they are meant to be driven on the street.

2. Zesty_Maple98

Zesty_Maple98
    Expand Collapse

You're right in feeling that, I've been working with a race driver and have real grip vs temp data for a fair few types of tyres, I'd like to implement it soon™

• Like Like x 1
  3. Swilleh

Swilleh
    Expand Collapse

My tyres are a bit hot. Maybe you should add a limit for them and after they reach it they can pop? 2024-04-20_21-29-38.png (It's in Celsius)

Attached Files:

• 2024-04-20_21-31-02.png
  4. Zesty_Maple98

Zesty_Maple98
    Expand Collapse

Probably a good idea, also the update after this next one will revamp wear and the tyres should last seconds once they get past their melting point

• Like Like x 1
  5. antoniomdavis36749

antoniomdavis36749
    Expand Collapse

Is there a way to use the downloadable zip file from Github? I tried to place the zip file in the mod folder but could not get it to work. I must be missing a step somewhere.

#25 antoniomdavis36749, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  6. Zesty_Maple98

Zesty_Maple98
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately github's download zip button creates a parent folder within the zip file which results in an incorrect file structure. You can extract the top level folder called "tyre-thermals-and-wear-main" into `0.32/mods/unpacked/` this should work but hmu if it doesn't

• Like Like x 1
  7. antoniomdavis36749

antoniomdavis36749
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, That worked!! Using the Main Commit Branch, which was last updated 4 days ago. Commit ID: 21b35d3

I am off to my favorite race to test the changes. The AI race Street Tour in Italy is set to 20 laps. The car is a Bolide base model 350 with sport tires. It takes about 23 minutes to do the race. I love the changes since the race is longer; I experienced the cold tires sliding on lap one and had to brake early towards the end of the race because the tires and brakes were very hot. The maximum temp observed was 105 C. I still need to adjust the brake duct setting. (Revisiting after Number #6 raced with duct setting to 5 in the front and 3 in the rear. Temps were balanced on stock sport tires.

Off to race two, Talladega Superspeedway, in a Nascar Stock Car; after about ten laps off the 2.66-mile track, the tires were cold, sitting at 23C. On the next run, I adjusted the brake ducts to setting 2 in the front and rear; tire temperatures were then at around 38C. In the third run, the brake duct is set to 1, front and rear. Observed temperatures were around 50C. At the moment, I think the air velocity cooling effect may need a small adjustment; it seems a bit too strong. Holding my opinion of the treadwear setting of 0.4 currently, I need to do more driving first.

Number 3. Off to Spa, Scntilla GT3-Agressive, first, run 5 laps brake ducts setting 4 front and rear—temperatures around 50C. The second run also has five laps, brake duct setting 2 front and rear temperatures mid-80s in the front and low 70C in the rear. Third run again: 5 laps, brake ducts setting 2 in the front and 1 in the rear, temperatures were mid-80s, tires stayed in the great range for solid grip. Tire wear was about 5 percent loss per lap. That felt reasonable to real life, I guess.

Number 4, rally time, using base game scenario, Downhill Rally, did five runs but only finished once, lol. That sounds about right!! Sorry, I'm not too good at rally in beam. I need a dedicated handbrake. Brake duct setting at 4 front and rear—only a percent of tire wear. Everything worked perfectly. Now, rally tires are not overheating as compared to V0.17.

Number 5, Trucking, using base game scenario, Scintilla Delivery, no adjustments done, the UI does not show all tires. I forgot about this old bug carryover from the original mod. It seemed like the temps were being read, but the UI just overlapped all of the tires. I mean, just trucking with slow speeds and heavy loads lent to more realism.

Number 6, Hiroshi Raceway, Hotlapping in Cherrier Vivace Race, to test brake duct on max setting to start. This was too much cooling. After a few changes, ducts setting 3 in the front and 1 in the rear kept temperatures in the mid-80s. The duct setting slider works great. Is it possible to have a higher number of settings? For example, instead of 1-6, 1-10 for fine adjustment.

I thought 0.17 was great, but the improvements you have made recently in the git hub's version are even better. I know you haven't asked for any of this amateur testing, but it was my off day. I had fun. Great work

#27 antoniomdavis36749, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  8. Zesty_Maple98

Zesty_Maple98
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the testing :) I appreciate the wide range of tests done as most people only test racing. I have pushed an update to the main branch on gh which changes the settings slider to use 1%-100% instead of 1-6, and the max amount of cooling is now much greater to allow for extreme vehicles. Thanks for bringing up the minimum cooling issue I hope it's fixed now with the change to the sliders. Also the UI bug is something I would like to fix but for the majority it's not a problem so it's on the backburner for now.
    And I appreciate that you're really enjoying the update! I hope to bring these changes to full release soon™ :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. antoniomdavis36749

antoniomdavis36749
    Expand Collapse

I am glad the "testing" was helpful. I will try out the new commit on GH after work. I will do some rock climbing and delivery missions in career mode next. I may rerun some of the previous runs as a comparison.

Side note: I liked how the tire preheating depends on the brake pad materials, i.e. full race pads and semi-race pads; It did take me a while to figure that out. Even though I read some of your commit notes of GH, it did take me a while to figure it out in some in-game scenarios. Most likely, it's just me being slow, but just in case others are like me, this change may need an explainer on the repo mod page.

#29 antoniomdavis36749, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  10. The_Blue_Guy

The_Blue_Guy
    Expand Collapse

I tried the latest commit on gh just to see how it feels with various vehicles and after a bit i tried my own custom drift config of the BX with drift tires and just wow i'm really impressed with how it feels.
    I honestly don't know what to say as i'm just that impressed with how it feels and i'm definitely gonna keep this mod as it's just that nice. Amazing work

• Like Like x 2
  11. antoniomdavis36749

antoniomdavis36749
    Expand Collapse

Using GH Commit 46532ce on the Main branch: Cleared Cache.

Race 1Run #1, Italy map, Street Tour, 20 laps as normal, Bolide 350 standard model, no abs. Duct settings are unchanged. Temps Topped out at 105C on tires and 410C (770 F) on brakes.
    Run #2 Tired different times of day: night( I did not know changing time of day changes environment temperatures, starting tire temperatures changed with time of day) lowered duct settings to compensate, changed 8 percent front and rear—tough race with quite a few lockups. DNF, lockup crashed Into the wall. Lol, I love the percent scale. Great for fine-tuning adjustments.

Race Scenario # 2 West Coast, Drag Strip will run each car 3 Pulls, Drag version only, Max Nos, No duct adjustments as not needed for Drag racing.

Bastion D 1726 HP. 8 309 at 167 Tire temperatures never exceeded 88C
    Burnside Special 8.2 at 174.71 Tire temperatures 89C
    Hirochi Sunburst 10.5 at 142.37 Tire temperatures 86C
    Ibushu BX Drag 7.5 at 185mph Tire temperatures 92C

All temperatures worked as expected with Drag Tires, and there was little to no slippage, so the tires did not heat up much. There were a few times that got a little offline at the start, and Tires seemed like they lit on fire, With being at over 200c in a second or two. I attempted to preheat the tires, but they cooled off to the environment temp in about 10 seconds. I am out of practice when it comes to Drag in Beam. , Especially preheating. Before using this mod, you had perfect traction in the base game. The mod introduced a new level of realism, with tires needing to be treated like in real life.

Race Scenario #3 Johnson Valley, Crawl, Bootlegger Revenge., Gavin D Series D35 Pig model,

So, temperatures mostly stayed at environmental temperatures, only varying a few degrees. The "cold” tires added more challenge since the grip was perfect, like the base game. The tires no longer would just “stick” to rocks; you would slide off rocks and use the tire's outside edge to grip the terrain. I did not have to do that before. Great fun.

Race Scenario #4 ETK Driver Experience Center, Skid Pad Area, Lateral G Test, Base ETK-kc4 250. Used Largest Ring,

Sport Tires and Race Tires
    Maintained 88.4 mph
    At 1.2 G-force
    Four Revolutions Around. Clockwise
    All driving assists are off.
    AMBIENT TIRE temperature: 14
    At the end of the test:
    Sports;
    Left Front 29,25,21
    Left Rear 34,31,29
    Right Front 19, 17,16
    Right Rear 31, 28, 26

Race- Cold
    At 1.48 G-Force
    5 Revolutions- clockwise
    All driving assist
    Maintained a speed of 99 mph
    Left Front 63,49,39
    Left Rear 36,31,27
    Right Front 25,22,19
    Right Rear 30,26,24

I wonder if this is useful, lol. Interesting, though.

12. Arnold.JPEG

Arnold.JPEG
    Expand Collapse

Hi! I'm having an issue where my tire wear isn't depleting. I've tested with a few different cars, surfaces, and tire compounds, with no luck. I'm wondering of there are any mods known to conflict with yours, or if you have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks!
    Edit: I just tested it a bit longer- I think the wear is just acting very slowly. I spent 3-4 minutes doing burnouts in the 200bx drift config, and i finally hit 99% wear, so maybe it's just dramatically slowed for some reason?

#32 Arnold.JPEG, Apr 28, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  13. Zesty_Maple98

Zesty_Maple98
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback, I'm most concerned with more practical testing but I appreciate the experiments nonetheless
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi Arnold, yes the severely low wear rate is a known issue with this version, the coming update will increase it noticeably, and then the update after that will focus on reworking the wear system completely to make it more sophisticated

• Like Like x 1
  14. antoniomdavis36749

antoniomdavis36749
    Expand Collapse

Good Morning, Hope you are well. Every since Commit 64 ((05c22a3)) Titled (changed brake sliders to use % and tweaked cooling values)

I found that three vehicles failed to load, each accompanied by the error messages: 'Error loading Vehicle' and 'Fatal Lua Error occasionally.'

I did a few tests on fresh installs, with each GH commit after Commit 64 and encountered the error.

The vehicles where the error occurred were FPU Wydra, T-Series Truck, and Wentward DT40L Bus. Also, oddly enough, some props as well, such as the. Enclosed Cargo Trailer, Round Silage Hay Bale, Cone, Plastic Barrier, Wood Planks, Tire Stacks, Porta Potty, and Large Tire Prop. This would occur in both Free Roam mode and Scenarios.

Found this in the beamng.log file

805.83309|E|GameEngineLua:Exception| [string "lua/ge/extensions/CreateBrakeDuctSliders.lua"]:95: attempt to index field '$WheelCoolingDuctFront' (a nil value)

=============== Stack Traceback >> START >>

(1) metamethod C function '__index'

(2) Lua local 'func' at line 95 of chunk 'lua/ge/extensions/CreateBrakeDuctSliders.lua'

Local variables:

(*temporary) = table: 0x01d30e1e7e70 {}

(*temporary) = nil

(*temporary) = number: 9.90285e-312

(*temporary) = table: 0x01d2ad254668 {vehicleDirectory:/vehicles/trafficbarrel/, activePlayer:0, ioCtx:table: 0x01d30de92618 (more...)}

(*temporary) = number: 30591

(*temporary) = number: 9.9071e-312

(*temporary) = userdata: 0x01d2e09307b8

(*temporary) = number: 0

(*temporary) = string: "attempt to index field '$WheelCoolingDuctFront' (a nil value)"

(3) Lua field 'hook' at line 694 of chunk 'lua/common/extensions.lua'

Local variables:

funcName = string: "onSettingsChanged"

funcList = nil

hookFuncs = table: 0x01d4ccc58e90 {1:function: 0x01d322c47eb0}

(for generator) = C function: builtin#6

(for state) = table: 0x01d30e37d5b0 {1:table: 0x01d322c4e530, 2:table: 0x01d4cc453c08, 3:table: 0x01d2e0f67888 (more...)}

(for control) = number: 1

_ = number: 1

m = table: 0x01d322c4e530 {__extensionPath__:CreateBrakeDuctSliders, onSettingsChanged:function: 0x01d322c47eb0 (more...)}

func = Lua function '?' (defined at line 91 of chunk lua/ge/extensions/CreateBrakeDuctSliders.lua)

(4) Lua upvalue 'save' at line 86 of chunk 'lua/ge/extensions/core/settings/settings.lua'

Local variables:

localValues = table: 0x01d4ccc8e568 {AudioMaxVoices:512, showBlobIllegal:true, queueApplyTimeout:3, showBlobQueued:true (more...)}

cloudValues = table: 0x01d4ccd65e20 {richPresenceDiscord:true, communityTranslations:enable, replayClouds:false (more...)}

(5) Lua field 'settingsTick' at line 244 of chunk 'lua/ge/extensions/core/settings/settings.lua'

Local variables:

dtReal = number: 0.0100264

dtSim = number: 0.0105

dtRaw = number: 0.0075474

(6) Lua function 'update' at file '/lua/ge/main.lua:513' (best guess)

Local variables:

dtReal = number: 0.0100264

dtSim = number: 0.0105

dtRaw = number: 0.0075474

--------------- << END <<

15. Ovahlls

Ovahlls
    Expand Collapse

Very happy you added "tyre" thermals. Much needed. Sorta. Thank you.
    --- Post updated ---
    I ain't readin all that

16. Nicota_Sun

Nicota_Sun
    Expand Collapse

I did some testing with the Scintilla GT3 aggressive on the nurburgring and nordschleife combined layout I can cope with the heat just fine using the duct system, however the rear wears a lot faster than the front, which makes the car very hard to drive only after a few minutes, quite annoying since a stint would be at least half an hour. I then changed many settings, like neutral rear toe and less negative toe in the front, softer rear suspension and increased ride height and rake and more rear wing angle, it made it a little bit closer in wear front to rear, plus the dialed in understeer helps keep the car in check, but still quite tricky. I set the ducts so that the fronts slightly overheat in some sections, but the rears are always in optimal temp ranges just to cope with the intense oversteer at low speed. I think part of this issue I'm bringing up isn't due to the mod, I think it's mostly because of the car, and the rear engine rear wheel drive layout, as well as BeamNG's scuffed aero system..
    I was using the github version from 3 days ago

That concludes today's report

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zesty_Maple98

Zesty_Maple98
    Expand Collapse

Oh wow thanks for finding this out, I'll see what I can do for it
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks Nicota, this has been fixed in the most recent version, which I'll push to gh in a few minutes

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nicota_Sun

Nicota_Sun
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Now I'm curious
    This wear pattern might not be an issue in the mod, but rather the design of the vehicle and it's configuration and aero balance, so how will future cars (like the planned ETK K-Series GT3 package with a similar GT3 spec perform using this mod? it will be a GT3 spec, but front engine and probably different weight distribution and suspension

#38 Nicota_Sun, May 4, 2024
    Last edited: May 4, 2024
  19. Nicota_Sun

Nicota_Sun
    Expand Collapse

I've also driven the covet with my custom race car tune (fwd) a bit and tire wear and heat buildup is quite alright. obviously the front wears out dramatically quicker than the rear does, but that's just like real life, so it's good. It finally feels like the tire is a real tangible object that you interact with and you can really feel the tire give you a ton of grip when its new and less so when it's worn (with vibrations?? idk if that's my wheel bugging or not but I think it's the mod)

20. Nicota_Sun

Nicota_Sun
    Expand Collapse

By the way there's one big issue I have with the mod (I use the github version) and the issue is that simplified AI cars and the unicycle/player character thing is completely broken whenever this mod is activated. when it's deactivated it all works fine and it spawns in correctly

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice