Released [Tutorial] Making a terrain for Beam-NG (in depth guide with pictures)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Fundador, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Coovargo

Coovargo
    Expand Collapse

Upon loading Dry Rock, or Small Island, when you place a texture on the surface, floral materials are placed with it. They do not seem to be selectable from the forest editor. How can I do that on my map?

2. fetthaufen

fetthaufen
    Expand Collapse

There is still one thing i have not figured out... in the level Industrial there is beach sand that makes the tires sink in a few centimeters and there are a lot more particels than with just beach sand ... can someone tell me how to do that?

3. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

This involves painting diffrent layers on each texture. I advise asking LFJHutch or posting a seperate thread so he can reply. Its pretty complex ands hard to explain. As for the people getting heightmap import errors, ensure that you image size is a power or two like 256, 512 or 1024.
    Hope that helped
    rob

4. blackhole522

blackhole522
    Expand Collapse

One thing I can't manage to do is move the default spawn point...

Also how to make grass feel different than pavement, or dirt...

5. PatrickSeaStar

PatrickSeaStar
    Expand Collapse

I get some sort of a bug when I'm importing "terrain heightmap", when I do it this window pops up BeamNG.png do you have any idea what the problem is? By the way, awesome tutorial! :D

6. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the Tutorial..i feel much more at ease now!...

one issue im having.. autopaint likes to lock up occasionally...it just sits there doing nothing and i have to close beamng..
    i spent 5hrs trying to sort it out and get my terrain painted..but alas..its still grid-world!

@PatrickSeaStar it sounds like your terrain file is not the right size...it must be a power of 2.. eg, 128x128, 256x256, or most commonly 1024x1024...if you are a pixel short on either side then you will get an error when importing

tip for everyone else...Material.cs... once you have copied over industrial,dry_island art etc...the material.cs files with them are still pointing to the other level folders...if you edit them with notepad you can actually change them to your own level folder...
    you can also edit the level mis file to move the terrain from the base levels folder into your actual level folder

#46 WacKEDmaN, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

moving the spawnpoint should be easy by selecting it in its folder in the scene tree and just moving it like a object.

for the physical surface conditions here the answer from LJFHutch from another thread, same question:

"Currently static objects are asphalt only.
    Physical material types depend on the terrain layer name. It's currently referenced in a global ground model file so if you want mud/grass/etc just call it the same names as the official maps and it will work."
    and for having the car sink into mud:
    "Depth is another image, eg "small_island.ter.depth.png". White is no depth (asphalt) black is very deep, see the official ones for usable values."

8. blackhole522

blackhole522
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I managed to move the spawnpoint. Don't know what I was doing wrong before.

Ok good to know thanks :)

9. fetthaufen

fetthaufen
    Expand Collapse

Oh i see, so i created that image and put it in the same folder my .ter file is in and named it accordingly is there anything else i need to do to link it to the terrain? In my first try nothing changed...

Edit: Figured out why it didn't work ... somehow my png had "layers" it was just one but that stopped it from working...
    Tip: If you export the heightmap from beamng you also get a file for each texture layer so you know exactly where to put "depth".

#49 fetthaufen, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. diabLo2k5

diabLo2k5
    Expand Collapse

Have exactly the same problem. Merged all the art folders, use the same heightmap and so on but it gives first the blankroom error and after that the heightmap error...

Anyone has now an idea :D?

11. jvictorgt

jvictorgt
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! That solved it!

12. Olaf16

Olaf16
    Expand Collapse

Thanks... Helped me a lot :)

13. jackeo21

jackeo21
    Expand Collapse

Hi, amazingly great tutorial, thanks.

But, when opening up my maps the sky seems to disappear?

Any fix?

Thanks!

14. ws99d4im

ws99d4im
    Expand Collapse

"But, when opening up my maps the sky seems to disappear?" - It is also my problem.
    One question - it is possible to create caves in BeamNG terrain editor?, because i would really like to create a city with tunnels... :)

15. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

grid map has an example of a cave...you cannot make a cave in the terrain itself..you have to model it and import it

cant help much with the sky disapearing tho.. maybe deleted it from the scene list and re-add it

16. ws99d4im

ws99d4im
    Expand Collapse

ok thanks, i already had thought about that...

17. Pinecones

Pinecones
    Expand Collapse

After texturing my map the lighting seemed to get messed up.
    Wherever I go the ground becomes a black shadow, but the landscape in the distance is all in full light.

I don't know if the texturing caused this, but thats when I noticed it starting to happen. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT

It was the texturing, and having a broken image in the "detail" section, removing it fixed the problem.

18. SgtSpike

SgtSpike
    Expand Collapse

So, I am trying to add a road to an existing map, but coming up against problems. I want it to be a thin road, so I set the width to 5. But when I level and smooth the terrain, it's just not getting smooth enough. I'm constantly bouncing, and the terrain height is all over the place. How can I keep a fairly consistent terrain height while making a skinny road? When I had the road width set at 10, and the leveling/smoothing tools set at 15, it became a mostly smooth road, about what I wanted. How can I achieve the same effect on a skinnier road?

19. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

You could try using the flatten tool then smoothing it afterwards. That seems to work quite well for me :)

20. SgtSpike

SgtSpike
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that is exactly what I did. It works well using the larger brush size (~15), but with the smaller brush size (~5) it didn't smooth very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice