[Tutorial] Making a simple distant terrain for your map

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Ouerbacker, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

So I'm continuing to tinker with this with successes:cool:. I am curious about the detail distant as you
    do not mention it's creation and the process involved in making it. World Machine doesn't appear
    to have a node/device for that except for a "sharpen" macro available in the pro version. Can this be
    generated through World Machine or is it an external program noise addition?

2. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

I'm didn't mention the detail texture because I kinda forgot how I made it. That texture is either noise generated in gimp or a tiled 200-300m section of desert satellite imagery. If I had to guess, my bet would be on the latter of these two.

Well, I might as well reply to everything else. :) edit- no, it's way too late.

Those file are scary big. Unfortunately, compression become very noticeable when each pixel is equal to a meter or two.

#22 Ouerbacker, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  3. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm....detail texture next challenge. If the WM macro isn't sufficiently detailed ( even at 4096 ),
    the mesh smoothing in Blender will make the Dterrain become uninteresting and blurry. I can
    definitely see the impact a detailmap could provide in that case. I am also finding that there
    can be a sweetspot between mesh resolution (64-128), and the type of macro used on that mesh.
    Certain macro's can supplement and actually use the bigger faces of a 64 mesh depending on
    what the geology is and the macro parameters.

The huge obnoxious .png's out of WM are very bothersome and I really need to find a way to
    shrink those without too much quality loss. Having those load in a map is ridiculous:p, any
    suggestions? My first attempt will be the ubiquitous .DDS. I noticed the Shortdistant is a meager
    15MB and it looks fantastic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice