1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Translating BeamNG.Drive - Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Leeloo

Leeloo
    Expand Collapse
    The Little Engine That Could
    BeamNG Team

To provide feedback and report issues. For now - please DM them to me. After the holidays - through the Discord channel I mentioned above.

2. gjrfytn

gjrfytn
    Expand Collapse

First of all, thank you for the update, though its message is quite unexpected.

I've been a contributor for the Russian community translation since 2016 and I've spent a considerable amount of my free time into its improvement and maintenance, so a lot of questions popped up in my head while I was reading the update. There are also other avid translation contributors, and I know, they share the same concerns.

So, here they are:
    1. What is the reasoning behind introduction of the official translation? I mean, in light of the fact that there is already community translation project up and running?
    2. Who does the "official" translation?
    3. Has it been based on the existing community translations or made from scratch?
    4. Does it mean, that the translations made by the community for the listed languages are not needed anymore? Or they are intended to co-exist with the official localization?
    5. How do one apply for any role at the soon-to-be-relaunched community translation project (if there any point in continuing the community translation left)?
    We'd really appreciate it if you could clarify these points for us. There are also other things to discuss, but I think it's better to leave them for later.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for your amazing efforts over the years, we really appreciate it and will continue with this in some way in the next year.
    The official translation is closing a gap we felt growing over the years that needed to be fixed. However, it would have been impossible to do them without your early feedback and help all around :)

That being said, we just finished our first hotfix and are looking for more problems and issues before the studio goes on holiday leave next week. We'll be back in Jan to tackle the way forward here :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. gjrfytn

gjrfytn
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your reply.
    I have certain impression on why there was some gap growing (I guess you mean the number of translated strings to overall count). I don't want to elaborate much on this, I'd only say that waiting for months for a reply in this thread (if ever getting it) and some changes in translation project app and forums really didn't help to achieve an effective workflow and to keep motivation high.

Speaking about suggesting improvements and pointing out issues of official localization — I don't actually see how to make it work for long-time community translators. We've already done our best in polishing localization in community translation project. It's our vision of how the game should be translated. So to get a list of suggestions, one only need to make a diff of the official localization and the community localization – this would be what we propose to change. I don't really suggest to do it, I just want to communicate the idea — reviewing the official localization means for us doing all the work over again and trying to make it as close to the existing community translation as possible.

That's why I can only see myself (and I'm not the only one feeling the same for sure) in continuing contributing solely to community translation as an alternative for the official one. So it'd be great to also get some more info on the organization of translation project the next year (see questions 4 and 5 from my previous post).

I'm really hoping we could sort this all out the best way! Have a great holiday :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Greeny908

Greeny908
    Expand Collapse

Can you please add Esperanto to the translations list? I would translate to that language but can't add it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RossBG

RossBG
    Expand Collapse

I would like to translate Bulgarian. I'm from Bulgaria, so I'm very confident about my skills. Reply to this comment if you could add the option to translate it, Thanks.

7. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

Hi, what's up with the translation platform?
    Edit: Ok, it works fine now.

Feature request: Can we please use Weblate's Glossary feature?
    When I started translating BeamNG, I tried to add terms to the Glossary to improve consistency. I can only devote very little time to the translation and I can't keep all the used terms in my head. There are often more ways to translate things. For example Track Builder might have 2-3 different Czech translations by now.
    Unfortunately, Glossary became kind of separate translation and it seems I am not allowed to add new terms to it.

#407 Gouranga, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  8. gjrfytn

gjrfytn
    Expand Collapse

9. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

Hi, when approving a translation suggestion, there is an option "Approve and edit". Personally, I try to use it only for minor corrections, like grammar and spelling, but it can easily be misused to pre-fill the translation with the suggestion and then completely rewrite it.
    I can understand that from the convenience point. If you try to copy and edit the suggestion so that you don't have to accept it, which also means delete, it annoinlgly copies some line breaks which you have to delete.
    Ask the person responsible for approvals not to do this.

10. Skop56

Skop56
    Expand Collapse

Would i be allowed to make a UK English translation, because i'm more familiar with car terms used in the UK than the USA.

11. gjrfytn

gjrfytn
    Expand Collapse

Hi, thank you for your reply, but afraid that "Approve and edit" command has nothing to do with the issue. If you use "Approve and edit" you have 2 records in the translation history – "Suggestion accepted" and "Translation changed", this is totally fine.
    What I'm talking about is that the last string that is shown in the translation history differs from the one that is actually shown as the translation. Like it was changed not through the Translation Platform but directly in the database.

BTW, does anyone know how to connect with the developers? Because they hardly read this thread anymore.

12. XtremeMan

XtremeMan
    Expand Collapse

After 0.23 update, the text of the UI camera mode in Russian is a little bit broken.

Attached Files:

• 20210701233408_1.jpg
    • 20210701233419_1.jpg
    • 20201128120043_1.jpg
    #412 XtremeMan, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  13. fylhtq7779

fylhtq7779
    Expand Collapse

Привет) Нужно в настройках обновить перевод и перезайти
    upload_2021-7-2_21-43-12.png

14. XtremeMan

XtremeMan
    Expand Collapse

Я вчера так делал, не помогло.
    Даже после удаления translations и последующего обновления переводов с перезапуском игры все равно остается ui.camera.mode

15. fylhtq7779

fylhtq7779
    Expand Collapse

View attachment 815977

Почему слово "раз" заменили на "р." ?
    Помоему так
    Ох, там вообще сейчас какая-то фигня с переводом, сам перестал понимать что-либо( Разработчики не отвечают на сообщения, никто не знает как связаться с ними, в общем хз

16. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

You mean in the game? A new translation probably won't show up until devs compile and release a new version of the game with the latest translations.

What do you need to discuss with devs?

17. Leeloo

Leeloo
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

We are still in the process of reviving the project, sadly I have no ETA.

Bulgarian and Esperanto are now in the system, feel free to contribute.

Since we introduced official translations to the game they are being used by default. You could switch to the community version by downloading the file directly and replacing the one in \BeamNG.drive\locales.

As I mentioned earlier, you can always DM me here, or via Discord.

These strings have not been translated yet. Should be fixed with the next minor release.

18. gjrfytn

gjrfytn
    Expand Collapse

No, not in the game, but in the translation system. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
    I've found a good example, please, see attachment or follow the link. Note that there are different strings shown in the history and in the actual translation box. And the same true for numerous other strings.

http://translate.beamng.com/translate/beamngdrive/game/ru/?checksum=1360011633a95bca

I need to discuss the problem that I've described in my posts.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Please see my reply to Gouranga above.

Thanks, I'll do this next time.

BTW looks like I cannot delete suggestions again (3rd time it happens I guess ). Is this intentional change?

Attached Files:

• Capture.jpg
  19. Leeloo

Leeloo
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

There were some issues with the user groups/access, let's take this to DMs to troubleshoot further.

20. McRenault

McRenault
    Expand Collapse

Can we have translations from American English to English? I struggle to find things with the American English menus in BeamNG as all the car part names are wrong and would like to write the translations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice