Released Trackfab Unlimited 2.3

V8 powered unlimited class buggy with loads of suspension travel

1. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Was that the result of a massive jump or just the torque from flooring it bending things? I know the front suspension still lacks a bit in torsional rigidity, which wasn't much of an issue before but has caused some problems when sending power through the front wheels.

If it was from a massive jump, it shouldn't have changed much compared to the previous version. While the 4WD variant only has the coilovers with a simple damper and some added reinforcing and damping beams, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PolishPetrolhead

PolishPetrolhead
    Expand Collapse

>the car has 2500 hp
    >"Why are things breaking?"

Drag spec vanilla cars have a 1000 hp less and tend to break some parts when used in the intended way and you're wondering why 2500 HP breaks something on a glorified gokart with offroad wheels on it. Come on, man.

PS. No offence TrackpadUser, I love your mod <3

• Like Like x 1
  3. AfterShock360

AfterShock360
    Expand Collapse

I was ripping around a desert with the 4WD Dune Buddy config and did a serious crash, leaving the engine like this... And somehow the driveshaft was still intact. I don't know if this is fixable, but I wanted to bring it up.

4. Kirakat

Kirakat
    Expand Collapse

Actually it was from a pretty small jump, Similar to the one in a video a "few" pages back. Land a bit wrong, Nose down and usually the passenger side compresses and is only fixable by Node grabbing the frame/hood whatever and the Hub node and stretching the shock back out.
    ---Edit
    it's for sure because of suspension compressing past the point of bending, Super Sender base tune, Stage 1 block No supercharger, going through the whoops on bajarama, 2-3 bad/mistimed landings and it happened again. Geforce isn't recording (Who woulda guessed) so no video atm.
    The only way I can show you how to do it other than dumb luck of landing "perfectly" grab the Top of the shock, The node, Pull it straight down to around 70k NM (Yeah yeah way too much force but that's what's happening) It breaks the down travel of the shock. So I'm just beating the shocks to death. Does it all the way around so yeah just dumb luck that it keeps happening.

#64 Kirakat, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  5. 09grizzly550

09grizzly550
    Expand Collapse

this buggy seems to have no torque off idle after the latest update to it.

6. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean exactly? What negative effect are you experiencing?

Thanks for the testing. It seems like the shock is getting "stuck" when you go past the "usual" travel. Doesn't happen if you land straight since the floorpan hits the ground before that happen, but it can happen if you land crooked like you said.

What's even weirder is I've been able to get the shock "unstuck" by pulling down on the wheel :confused:

I plan on doing a small update to fix a few smaller things, I'll try to see if I can fix that issue.

Edit : I think I found the issue. Bumpstop beam was fairly weak, so it got deformed on hard impacts.

I'll double check the length limits for the driveshafts, although the transmission doesn't seem to have shifted sideways that much.

#66 TrackpadUser, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JlnPrssnr

JlnPrssnr
    Expand Collapse

Great mod, thank you for the work. One thing I've noticed is that some engine configurations glitch through the body, not sure is this has been reported!
    I think this would look great with some sponsor stickers instead of just plain colors, maybe I have to look into making liveries for Beam.

8. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Even if you just have decent paint scheme ideas on a 2D preview, I can probably make something out of those.

I just don't have much inspiration currently for paint schemes :p

There's a template file in the mod's folder. It's not the greatest UV map in the world but it should be serviceable. If you're having issues lining things up or fixing the edges, but have an otherwise pretty nice skin, I can do the cleaning up no problem.
    Skintemplate.png
    And for those who don't want to deal with texture files and just want to try some sketching on some side and top views, here are some pics which should serve as a decent base.
    upload_2020-4-11_13-8-58.png upload_2020-4-11_13-9-13.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. PolishPetrolhead

PolishPetrolhead
    Expand Collapse

I'm not good with textures nor image editing but I used paint in preschool so I'm basically a graphic designer. But also my mental age didn't develop beyond 13-14 years old. I present to you:
    upload_2020-4-11_19-48-49.png
    SLAP SOME FLAMES ON THIS BAD BOY
    --- Post updated ---
    just add some gradient on the flames or whatever and you're good to go.
    I hereby claim I bear no copyright for above picture - PolishPetrolhead. Basically do whatever you want
    --- Post updated ---
    Another idea:

--- Post updated ---
    Not sure how those teeth would look like but I wouldn't mind taking a look at a rough sketch put on the buggy model
    --- Post updated ---
    69th post in this thread, nice

• Like Like x 1
  10. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

TrackpadUser updated Trackfab Unlimited with a new update entry:

Suspension bumpstops adjustements and other changes.

Read the rest of this update entry...

11. lowercase

lowercase
    Expand Collapse

not sure if anyone else is having this issue but for some reason when I spawn any of the buggies with paddle tyres in the previews they are just normal tyres in game. any help? thanks :)

12. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

download the tyre pack

13. JlnPrssnr

JlnPrssnr
    Expand Collapse

@TrackpadUser can you help me fix the skin I made? My config loads but the skin is blue. I suspect the material.cs settings to be incorrect. Would be great if you can have a look!

Attached Files:

14. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Got it to work
    upload_2020-4-24_11-25-26.png

Part of the issue is that the documentation is a bit outdated, it's recommended to use the new JSON based materials system instead of the old material.cs

I've included a copy of a working materials.json file for your skin.

Also, since there's no color palette map, the chosen paint color will affect the final result. If you switch to white it looks fine.

Here's some info on color maps if you want to fix that problem:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_skin_system#ColorMap

And here's an example in the context of a skin.
    upload_2020-4-24_11-31-30.png

Livery_overlay.dds is this texture, with sponsors and number plates
    upload_2020-4-24_11-33-57.png

Livery.dds is a regular color-map with "holes" for the number plates so they always appear white. Since the sponsor decals are black, they aren't affected by the color selection, so I didn't take them into account while making the color map.
    upload_2020-4-24_11-37-48.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. JlnPrssnr

JlnPrssnr
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much! Will try it out and continue with the skin itself

16. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

Great truck, I've had lots of fun with it. I have a couple questions though.
    1. "Bypass Dampers"--how do they work? I looked at the jbeams briefly, it looks like they're speed-sensitive circuits that remove x% of coilover damping above the speed threshold, while adding their own linear damping at that point.. is this correct?
    2. How confident are the assertions of 0.5 and 0.6 (written as 2.0 and 1.66 in the .jbeams) motion ratios? I have a spreadsheet for tuning ride frequency and damping ratio.

#76 letters, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  17. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Bypass dampers don't change the coilover's damping, it's something that's done in addition to the coilover (which has slow and fast damping)

Essentially when you're getting near full compression or full droop, you get the full "bypass damper" damping, when you're between those areas, the bypass dampers does (Damping*Bypass Percentage). They essentially act as a progressive damper to help keep the car from bottoming out w/o being too over-damped on smaller bumps.

This is the best video I've found explaining them:

They're based on the bypass dampers that are used on the Hopper Crawler.

I calculated them graphically using CAD, so they should be fairly close to reality. The reason why they're so low is because the shocks on both ends are mounted half-way up the suspension arm and at an angle.

I already have a tuning spreadsheet as well, which I use to get a good starting point for my setups.
    upload_2020-7-10_20-9-45.png
    It works quite well for road cars, although I haven't had great success using it with this specific car, and have had to use a pretty large frequency difference front/back to keep the over-steer in , as well as high damping ratios to keep the car from bottoming out.

I'll probably take an other good look at the shock geometry when the D-Series Pre-runner comes out, making sure the motion ratio doesn't go down as the suspension gets compressed. I know I've already started playing with the dampers (again), as they were a tad harsh on desert trails (worked great on jumps though)

If you want to screw around with the setup/dampers/suspension, just go for it :)

#77 TrackpadUser, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  18. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

Spreadsheets are one of the best ways to enjoy a game with tuning, awesome. Assetto Corsa has a dev applet that shows live ride rate and damping ratio.

So they're position-sensitive, neat. I've been running the AWD, couldn't use front bypass so I've left them all unequipped until now. I've been lapping American Offroad, I think it is, counterclockwise, with 35.5/42 springs (I somewhat arbitrarily went with 65% bump and rebound damping, and with the stock limit of 10k bump at the rear, the springs couldn't be higher). If the rear bump is equal in damping ratio to the front, it bottoms out more in accelerating corners. Point being, it might handle better with only rear bypass vs none.
    What's the range they're active near droop and compression? Do they digress to 0 at one point, or a broad section of the mid-stroke?

80% bump is a lot! You need more spring, or more travel, or a more refined road! :p I tend to 55-65%. Does it have downforce? If so I'd try maybe 2.3-2.5. Close to 3.0 is smooth-roads-only, at least in Forza Horizon 4, FWIW lol.
    What's the knee in that btw? It should be high enough that the high-speed valving is only active a small portion of the time. CarX has that problem.. With offroaders it might be different. I'm still trying to get the Unlimited right. I added a variable in the jbeams to adjust it. High knees can cause some interesting behaviors :]
    --- Post updated ---
    I have another quick question, do the bypass dampers add bump to stroke start? I can see additional end-stroke bump being useful obviously, for big hits, and perhaps top-stroke rebound to soften top-out, end-stroke rebound particularly with long bumpstops or short progressive springs near bottom-out.. but top-stroke bump damping, no. I'm not sure if that's what's happening, looks like it. For clarity I'm running 50-65 springs, 40% damping ratio and 100% bypass in all bypasses (should be inactive through mid-stroke), and 30% damping ratio in all coilover ranges. It's pretty squishy near mid-stroke and I can see it stiffen near end-stroke, but it looks like coming over crests it's slow to fall from full extension, makes me think that 5900N/m/s of bypass bump damping is active there..

#78 letters, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  19. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

The setup in the tuning sheet is for a track car with not much travel, which is why the damping ratio is quite high.

As for the current suspension setup, sadly I don't have a way to precisely know when the various stages of damping are trigged, and I tuned it by feel as much as possible.

I'll probably ask Goosah once the prerunner is released if he has some secret dev tools to help adjust multistage dampers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

Best possible case would be to incorporate the bypass circuit into the main dampers, as Bump/Rebound Bypass coefficient (allow negatives for top-stroke bump taper vs rebound ramp) for start- and end-stroke, and knee location (i.e. progressive bump starting at 80% or 60% compression).. Not asking just saying. :p This truck is too fun. :]

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice