WIP Top Fuel Dragster Project

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Mcross97, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Hi Everyone,

I'm new on the forum, I've been playing Beamng Drive for a while so I decided to take part of Modding Community. I started looking for informations and all about the modelling of cars and started it by modelling a Top Fuel Dragster because it's a really interesting vehicle with a lot of specific specs.

Actually the model look like that :

So it's not finished yet but it looks good I think, everything have the good shape and size, and the engine that I took on Blenderswap is perfect for this model.

But the thing is that I don't know really much about coding so it will soon be hard for me to continue. So I'm searching for advices and a little of help.I know how the game and mods are working in general but I don't understand all the code of the mods I looked in.

By the way I know everything to know about Top Fuel Dragsters, here is a non-exaustive list of the specs :

- 11,000 hp max power
    - 700 km/h max speed
    - 600 hp supercharger with a pressure up to 74 psi
    - RPM up to 10,000
    - 500 kg downforce due to the exhaust
    - Running on NitroMethanol with a 1.4 Air/Methanol Ratio
    & few others

So the possibilities could be really impressive, if you don't know much about it go see some slow mo videos and YouTube and you will understand why it's so interesting to put this vehicle in the game, with a lot of parameters to manage to get the best performances on one version, and the perfect ones for another just for fun.

Here are some more pictures of it :

- 16/05/17 -

So let's dig out this one month old project and continue it!

First, I'll show you what I have, this is what my .blend file looks like :

You can see in red that all my parts are separated. Also I can't figure out if this vehicle is too detailed or not for the game.
    And here is my folder, all the parts are there in the .jbeam format and stock from export, there is also my "info.json" file with the strict minimum.

And then here come the problems, I don't know what to do next. If I follow the Introduction to Vehicle Creation tutorial the next step is the jbeam files setup, I've explored the files of different vehicle mods, it helped a bit but not enough to know what to do. I think it's important to write down the hierarchy of my parts, right? I have to understand how the game is working to start understanding what is coded and why, and there I'll be able to fully understand what to do, what's missing, etc.

I hope I'm starting in a good way, I'm reading again all the pages of the Wiki and I understand quite good what the parameters are, writing them the right way on the right place is my real problem but I exactly know the parameters I have to include and how to configure it in my vehicle to make it the closest to reality.

Thank You for reading and helping, hope that was interested and waiting for your feedback!

PS : It's not my native language so I'm trying to do my best!

#1 Mcross97, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Thank you

Actually there is no gearbox on a top fuel dragster and the clutch should be, in my mind, controllable by a trigger that would be the coolest case but if it was like a normal one we just could make a long release of it.

I don't know how things were made and how clutch and gearbox are simulated in the game but for the moment I'm looking for good tutorials to begin coding jbeam files.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, a single speed gearbox with the good settings if the game allow it and I was also thinking about a slow reverse gear.

4. Matchbox201

Matchbox201
    Expand Collapse

I have been interested in doing a top fuel dragster. Funny cars also.
    My ProDrag Moonhawk is not fast enough. :(
    Though, it is still using default drag engine / transmission tuning, with only some improvements to power delivery.:cool:

Anyways... I'd be willing to help with code if I ever get time, or at least help you learn. Just message me if you have any questions.

Also, does anyone know whatever happened to this mod?
    I guess we probably couldn't use it anyway without author permission... bummer.

5. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Nice model, the acceleration is pretty fast!

Yeah the Annihilator isn't bad and that's why I started this mod, he works good but as not so much in commun with a real dragster.

And if someone, could help me to begin the coding part, modelling is finish, I'll improve it later but for the moment I would like to make it work in Beamng. So do you know if someone has written Something like a process, a flow chart, or has explain clearly how everything works? Because ok the wiki is good and helpful but the introduction to vehicles modeling isn't accurate enough in my mind, and the other tutorials are a bit hard for a beginner who's not a master of English language.

Thanks for your interest for the post ;)

6. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Making a custom jbeam for this project should actually be quite easy especially the frame. I suggest looking at the official vehicles in game by importing their N/B structure in the N/B editor located in the Utils folder of the beamNG folder in your steam common files.
    To import the 3 model of a car you must import into blender as a dae and then export as an obj, you can then import that obj into the N/B editor as well as the vehicles jbeam and it should help to give you a basic idea of how a jbeam is setup. If you need any help with this process you can either post here or send me a PM.
    This looks like an awesome project and it is definitely in capable hands.

test.jpg
    This is what the mesh will look like once in the editor. The front of the jbeam is missing because the fenders and bonnet are all in separate files.

#4 CreasingCurve, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Thanks you for your help, I had totally forget about this tool so I'll try it and see if it helps!
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok so first I rescaled it because it was like 70 meters long, I exported all the Jbeam files from the .blend model with "Jbeam Export", I also exported a collada file from blender and .obj file too.

Now that everything is exported I'm ready to start editing the files to make all work right? I'm going now to search and try in NB editor if I can understand better the way the game works.

• Like Like x 2
  8. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

the annihilator needs proper engine jbeam specs. i just tried to make the numbers higher and as you can see its pretty awful.
    to be quite honest with you guys i think the annihilator sucks. but a lot of people seems to like it so i might redo it. i will need to rework the engine engine/suspension part since its really old and i need to update it to the new powertrain system.
    It still needs quite a lot of work if you ask me. as i said, in my opinion i think it sucks lol. by the way im the one who made the annihilator. and idk if i will update it soon, wait is there still a thread for the annihilator? i think it got removed with the repo page due to the whole model copyrights thing that was happening. i could reopen a thread if its needed. i have no problem if you want to update it and work on it. since i dont think ill update it anytime soon.
    If you wanna work on it and update it. ill remake a thread and once its done just send me the files and ill put it up for download. (credits will be given obviously)
    Jbeam was entirely made from scratch except for the suspension and the engine. suspension was taken from the moonhawk and the engine uhhh, i dont remember. maybe the moonhawk as well lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it sucks because it works pretty well and it's a nice example to work on, it was a great job! And it's cool if you give people a "free access" on what you made like if it was open-source, I'll credit you if I use anything of the annihilator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matchbox201

Matchbox201
    Expand Collapse

I searched to no avail :( never got to try the Annihilator in game(that I remember anyways). Sure it looks like it could use a lot of improvements for todays standard, but.... I like it :D - It reminds me of a Pro Modified.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

More like a top fuel/alcohol funny car, pro mods bodies are lower overall. The annihilator has more of wedge shape to it and also has incredibly large rear tyres.

12. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

This sounds cool, as I am a fan of NHRA. I tried to mess with the Annihilator as well but, the driveshaft seems too be quite weak. But, i think with the front suspension being fixed, the drive shaft being strengthened and the j beam being improved, it could be quite cool. I could help with some j beaming.

13. Matchbox201

Matchbox201
    Expand Collapse

Aie, true. It's more like a funny car. It makes me wish we had more of both in game though, as well as this top fuel dragster. Need some retro-draggers too. 1970's style:D

14. Foxgaming

Foxgaming
    Expand Collapse

15. MilanKD

MilanKD
    Expand Collapse

Nice, looking great

16. Dead Inside

Dead Inside
    Expand Collapse

Is this project still alive, and if it is, is there any way i can help? I would LOVE a full roster of proper drag cars in BeamNG, the top fuel cars, pro stocks, super comp etc. Dragsters are a great starting point! Again I would love to help any way i can.

17. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody,

I'm back after few weeks doing nothing about this car, actually I was not really motivated because I was not able to improve it cause of my lacks about coding and a new job... Now I'm ready to continue it, actually everybody can help me as he can, by saying to me what to do first etc. but for the moment I really want to do it by myself and by learning how to do.

I'll edit the post right now to let you what I've done and where I am exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

The post have been updated, it's up to you to give me advices, tell me what you think and I hope this way I'll be able to improve it (and finish it btw) to finally add this mod to the list of downloadable and released mods :D

19. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Your next task should be to set up the main slot for the main jbeam (most likely the frame) and make a some slots for it so the other parts can be setup underneath it in the customization menu.
    E.g. the Covet has the unibody as the main slot and then has all the slots for panels and other things such as engine and suspension.

20. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

Also(if you didn't already have this ready) make sure the packaging for the zip folder is correct, for example it would be

1.zip_folder
    2.vehicles
    3.car name

21. Mcross97

Mcross97
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your replies,

I'll fix my zip folder that isn't like explained by @Dealercrash. I'll also start with the Frame.jbeam file as my "main file" and I'll show you what I've done in it to be sure it' correct.(Thanks to @CreasingCurve)

Also I wanted to let you know that I showed this project to my dad who's a former programmer and linked him the content creation wiki pages so he can help me a bit, he was well interested in the project.

Have a nice week guys!

22. Max8Adam

Max8Adam
    Expand Collapse

Hey dood, this looks ver nice and I hope you can finish it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice