WIP Beta released The Tennessee USA Roane County 0.71 Beta Discussion/Suggestion/feedback Thread 19.3.1

HUGE 175sq/mi, 193+ miles of roadway, US40 highway, 3 Towns, Signs, Working Traffic Lights, Trees

1. fordman3254

fordman3254
    Expand Collapse

SEVERE BUG REPORT: This map just made my PC freeze while loading it. Please Fix this :)

2. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

This map takes a long time to load. Just give it time.
    How much RAM do you have?

#122 mumboking, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  3. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Hello, Please do not restate issues stated in the thread already if you haven't already READ THE THREAD this is the best tip I can give you.
    You are making it hard for people to state new issues if people are reporting the same issue alot.
    No offence but I find it very annoying when people do this, just trying to keep the threads enjoyable for everyone.

4. fordman3254

fordman3254
    Expand Collapse

I have 8GB, but successfully loaded the map earlier today, and it froze my PC to the point where I had to force shut down and restart my PC.

5. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

And it has already been stated multiple times that this map is very hard on computers earlier in the thread. Repeating an already known issue is annoying, so please stop.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

If you don't have 5~6.5gb free while trying to load this map, your PC can and will freeze. It's not my fault if you don't read the details where it says it needs that much. It needs about 5.2gb on average to load it, then it'll gradually use another 1gb or so driving around all of it, and changing cars once to your preferred car (more if it's a high-definition custom car!). The most I've seen it use, is about 6.3gb, without the editor being loaded, which would use inherently more memory. This is a cutting edge game, with cutting-edge tech.
    I had 12gb of ram in my computer in like 2010 :x Always have lots of RAM, it keeps your PC running smoothly. I have a paltry 16gb ram here, and I frequently use 80~90% of it up while editing! Paltry, for what I do, yes; but 16gb has become the new norm in the last year for gaming rigs. I really recommend everyone out there with 4~8gb atleast buy another 2x4gb set or 2x8gb set. Keep in mind Windows 7 home has a 16gb memory limitation where the PRO limitation is much higher.
    Also, ram SPEED helps (if you have a recent chip and board that'll support faster memory) a bit in some situations (like compiling code OR lots of physics work). Good ram speed @ 2400mhz w/cas 10 or cas 11 latency, vs 1600mhz or 1333mhz with cas 9 or 10 latency can yield UP TO 10~12% difference in some situations especially with heavy processor use on i7's. Not worth it for a speed upgrade alone, but if you're buying more, check what your board and processor reliably support (if replacing ram!) and get what's fast & affordable.
    Corsair and Crucial make great memory, amongst other brands, and are quite good with compatibility.

Again, thanks to all for pointing out that this was listed. Yes, if your PC doesn't have enough ram free it'll have a seizure.

Code:
    If you do manage to lock the bugger up and have to restart, 
    when in Windows, open a COMMAND LINE ...  
    *save your open documents 1st*
    type CMD into the start menu's run box, 
    cmd should come up in the search but don't select it yet,
    right click on cmd, click run as admin and say yes to the popup,
    type chkdsk /f and press Y if it asks you to restart and hit enter. 
    Save your work if you didn't, 
    and type shutdown -r in the command line to restart the machine (takes 60 seconds),
    it will reboot into disk diagnostic mode, run the checker, and restart again 
    if it must fix and remount the file system, 
    this will make sure the lockup didn't 'forget' to save any orphaned data and that your file-system's table of contents match. 

Modern Windows uses variations of what it a journaling file system, so it checks the journaling against the file allocation table (index, table of contents, whatever etc)... if you don't do this, after any time the machine locks up, you could 1.) lose data, 2.) have a poor performing computer, 3.) have software reliability issues due to missing data.

I hope that helps, I tried to make it clear to all what happens when Beam gets hungry for memory and can't get enough :)
    Sorry but there's nothing I can do to drop memory requirements on such a monstrous level*. It's big for a reason, like fast cars and I don't drive my car inside a box type reasons. This feels like there's actually somewhere to go. It's not uncommon to take 10 minutes driving 15 miles to get to where I have to edit - even if I used the freeway (starting point in Kingston to Westel, though I think it's about 1 mile longer IRL).
    Again, thanks for the folks chiming in while I was away from the forum for a bit. And also thanks all for taking part in the beta of the map. It'll be updated when I get some more town stuffs built.
    *and I've already shaved 1~1.8gb off the memory requirements, any more and it'll reduce the illusion the terrain produces to make a semi-realistic driving atmosphere possible... and there-fore is less enjoyable.

Feel free to make vids of this map.
    --Cheers!

#126 bob.blunderton, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  7. fordman3254

fordman3254
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for reducing the RAM requirement, as it might be a while before I get 16GB or so, but I did manage to load the map ONCE, but the other two times it failed to load. But again, this is good news, soon I won't have to pay attention to how much RAM us free :D Thanks again!

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Sounds good. If you do a ram upgrade, just match the voltage up, and put the 'slowest' or 'oldest' ram chips (which ever is slower) in the slot marked 'slot 0' or 'dimm 0'. That's the slot it gets the speed timings from. If you put the faster stuff 1st it gets the speed from the faster ones, and the other ram might not be able to handle it. If you built the computer yourself, it's usually super-easy to get a similar set of what you already have. If you're able to match all the ram up with MHZ, voltage (very important) and cas timing, there will be very little chance of an issue (plus it works with the board you have). Check your motherboard/system manual if you're not sure about what size chips the board takes. Hardware reviews usually have a lot of good info on max ram amounts, if you can't find the manual, so google your mobo's review.
    --That is all. :)
    (I've been working with hardware since the mid 90s when 80386/80486 chips were the norm, built first pc in 1996)
    EDIT: forgot to mention if closing the web browser doesn't get ram use down in itself, try restarting the pc voluntarily, then running Beam before anything else (unless you need to start Steam 1st for DRM to go thru).
    --- Post updated ---
    New Beam 0.6 is out. Let me know if this causes any problems for anyone! I also will be testing things out.
    --Enjoy!
    --- Post updated ---
    ACK! Update made NO-TEXTURE ORANGE on some spots of the houses/burger world!!!! OHNOES! I will have this fixed within the week.
    Most of the DDS textures are fine, was a few that were PNG format used from other authors. Will have this fixed soon.

9. Bertanius

Bertanius
    Expand Collapse

This map is a work of art. Awesome job on it. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

10. synsol

synsol
    Expand Collapse
    QA Lead
    BeamNG Team

We will certainely only support dds on future update, converting it to dds would solve this issue ;)

11. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

ACK! Update made NO-TEXTURE ORANGE on some spots of the houses/burger world!!!! OHNOES! I will have this fixed within the week.
    Most of the DDS textures are fine, was a few that were PNG format used from other assets

I've got that down & fixed here. Thanks for the heads up Synsol - reaffirms what I've figured. These textures that were affected - png textures (uncompressed), were from Occam's Razer's assets that I've gained his permission to use. None of the textures I created went haywire (road/bridge textures I made/modified terrain textures from Beam terrain). I actually have that patched in on this end and it's working fine. Oddly, the update seemed to also change the way models are supported via texturing, too. So I will most definitely make sure everything's DDS format when I get another release out within a few days (I'm guessing I'll have something uploaded on Sunday or Monday night USA time and posted links the next morning/afternoon).
    @synsol I am guessing, that .dae's have texture references embedded in the file itself?

12. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

Lucky me I have 16GB

13. B. Tanner

B. Tanner
    Expand Collapse

Absolute amazing project. Thanks to 16GB DDR4 Ram and a SSD it is loading quite fast on my system. But i cant surpass 40Fps on any grapics settings. Wondering if its the i5 6500 or the AMD r380x which bottlenecks the performance. No complaints! This map is taking it to the extremes and is still WIP so it doesnt surprise me it wont work perfect on my system. Nontheless just crazy to see such a huge and detailed map in Beamng. Keep up your good work on this map.

/Systemrestart and not displaying it on both my monitor and my TV helped it. Now i get 40-50FPS. Not beeing dumb is helping a lot. :x

#133 B. Tanner, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  14. youdidwhat!!

youdidwhat!!
    Expand Collapse

why does your map make my cars vibrate?

--- Post updated ---
    and excuse phill

15. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it running at 40fps is relatively normal for the huge amount of physics that go into this. It's a 144sq/mile map, roughly. Small game worlds are easy to get bored of, this you can drive around in for atleast an hour or so, before you go onto doing other things, like placing jumps etc or dispensing some AI cars (and maybe some jumps too!).
    Running your gfx settings on medium, will help considerably, as trees do take the toll on the performance right now. I will be throwing in some more optimization in the future, along with some more towns. I am doing my best to make this as realistic as possible, as 'inexpensively' performance-wise as possible. Real terrain with a real road network can sometimes negate performance-enhancing things that are much more readily able to be placed in made-up locations. These include hills to block the view, curves in the road and such to cut down the distance you can see, etc. Most places in the map you can't even see far enough to see 25~40% of the way across the map, due to the real atmospheric humidity. It's not foggy in the map, because it's not often foggy here, but it's always muggy (I live in Tennessee).

The cars vibrate more and more the further from the origin coordinates of 0,0,0 you go (x, y, z) due to the physics engine and the way it's programmed. It gets a little less precise the further you go, that spot where you start being most of the way from 0,0,0 (0 0 0 is somewhere closer to south portion of the map one mile east of the rock-covered mountain). It's not so much a bug; just a bit of undesired operation, but it really doesn't have much effect on things, other than visual.
    Nadeox brought this up around March or April when he came out with Special Stage Route B (SSRB) map, the further you go, the more it shakes - for all the same reason it does here.
    Keep in mind, this won't destabilize how your car handles, or crashes up, it just looks bad. I am sure it will be addressed in further stages of development once the game is progressing through Release Candidate versions or even in the beta stage. The developers DO know about it and are aware it should be fixed.
    Just a note, you seem to have the 1st revision of the map that was made public (lime colored grass/terrain), the new version, with darker grass, and more buildings/textures looks far superior. I am hoping the next version that will be out in soon (2 weeks?) will top this current release by atleast the same amount. I will hopefully have a better mud texture in, too - or atleast the dreary mip-mapping fixed!
    --- Post updated ---
    Thankyou, because it's folks like you that are so thankful and appreciative that it makes mapping for free so worth-while. I am actually going to fork out 30 bucks eventually, just to be able to purchase L3DT at some point in the future, for terrain mapping and making huge-sized (4k) maps like this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Sir do I know you? I live in rockwood and this freaks me out.
    --- Post updated ---
    I know this whole area like the back of my hand man. This is truly amazing to me. I appreciate you for making this 10 times over. I have attempted this and failed do to my poor skills with importing a heat map. I really hope you have some of the mountain roads back in harriman that would be. Would love to reenact some wrecks a few of my friends have had racing me on that road. And yeah there's been a couple lol. Wow I can't wait to download this tomorrow and try it out. Thankfully my pc will handle it. I can definitely give you any information or assistance as well. I run the local Roane County cargroup as well on Facebook know as Roane Car Enthusiasts. I'm speechless this is just randomly amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes it's getting ALL the roads around Harriman and Rockwood. Rest assured, they'll be there, as close as I can get them. Rail crossings and all (even if the train-track fails to be precise enough to run a train upon, the crossings will definitely make it).
    One little 1/4th to 1/2 mile of Rockwood airport road doesn't quite FIT into the map (currently doesn't have the part from the actual airport to harriman), it's just a bit cut-off, but only by a few hundred feet, so I will re-align it a tad, because otherwise the 12-miles of it that does fit in, would be useless.
    Entirely name some roads, and I'll add them in if you wish. (That goes for everyone, if it's on this logical map area, I can add it.)
    Just because it's not in yet, doesn't mean it can't be :)
    --Cheers!

Beamng.drive 0.6 Update: Orange Texture fix (if I haven't posted this yet!)
    Edit. (redacted fix, download 0.5 beta for use with v0.6.x and newer!)

#137 bob.blunderton, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I know this whole area like the back of my hand man. This is truly amazing to me. I appreciate you for making this 10 times over. I have attempted this and failed do to my poor skills with importing a heat map. I really hope you have some of the mountain roads back in harriman that would be. Would love to reenact some wrecks a few of my friends have had racing me on that road. And yeah there's been a couple lol. Wow I can't wait to download this tomorrow and try it out. Thankfully my pc will handle it. I can definitely give you any information or assistance as well. I run the local Roane Coun
    Iive on pumphouse Rd in rockwood. The first section close to town. Not the part by Tom Fuller Park. I'm just blown away by this. Fantastic work! Maybe one day I'll provide my services and add some details if I can. I was pretty well skilled with the map editor at one point. Regardless I'd love to help out anyway I could.

Alright so I got it brought up and its pretty neat! Whatever heat map you got this from it obviously isnt 100% accurate but its nice. Kingston for example is much more hilly. I wish you had like a top down view of the map and the real map. would make adding major roads alot easier. Regardless i found some cool things. First is the rockwood mountain road. That place has always been such a sketchy road lol. Would always put it in neutral and just coast down the mountain. Pretty neat i was able to kinda find were my wife lived out in Ten Mile. Also found the general location in a bunch of trees where i live lol..

Going in add some irl shots one of the steam plant and another with a view from roosevelt mountain by rockwood which pretty much shows the whole area. One of my friends from chicago came to visit thats him lol

This is my accord in front of the steam plant.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00013.png
    • screenshot_00014.png
    #138 JDMClark, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

After finishing So-Cal Interstate enough to release an update with new textures for it, I've been spending some time the last two days working on TN, USA.
    Added hillclimb lanes to Decatur Hwy near River Road, these should have already been in, D'oh! **
    Added 13.1 new miles of roadway
    Entirety of River RD (South of Kingston, terminus is at Decatur Hwy atop the big hill, goes to the map edge)
    Burkemill road (all)
    Grigsby Hollow road (all)
    OldHoodlanding road (all)
    Abels Valley road (portion of it, from Burkemill to Pumphouse Rd)
    Pumphouse Rd/Nelson Rd (to where it meets Abels Valley Road)
    Included 1.1 miles of a 1.5 mile unpaved farm access road that isn't entirely finished yet
    75% are in the south of Kingston/Decatur area. A few miles of it is near/in the town of Rockwood.

Making these things as close as I can, within reason, to the map, is quite a challenge, but NOT impossible!
    There most likely won't be any update until I hit around 100 miles of roadway total.
    The last update was around 65 total miles of road IIRC. This is currently at 78 miles of road.
    **Hillclimb lanes added on Decatur Hwy are NOT added into the 13.1 miles since Decatur Hwy was already in.

Some pics of River Road/Decatur Hwy and OldhoodLanding Rd. Dressed up the forest a bit here.

Attached Files:

• 20160809031323_1.jpg
    • 20160809031334_1.jpg
    • 20160809031425_1.jpg
    • 20160809031436_1.jpg
    • 20160809031510_1.jpg
    • 20160809031522_1.jpg
    • 20160809031523_1.jpg
    • 20160809031545_1.jpg
    • 20160809031558_1.jpg
    • 20160809031622_1.jpg
    • 20160809031631_1.jpg
    • 20160809031637_1.jpg
    • 20160809031833_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  20. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

The amount of effort you put towards this is amazing. Keep up the good work. Hope you add in all those things maybe next update as well lol :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice