WIP Beta released The Tennessee USA Roane County 0.71 Beta Discussion/Suggestion/feedback Thread 19.3.1

HUGE 175sq/mi, 193+ miles of roadway, US40 highway, 3 Towns, Signs, Working Traffic Lights, Trees

1. A Human Person

A Human Person
    Expand Collapse

alot of big empty spaces, alot of roads with no paint on them so you cant tell if your on the right side of the road or if its a one-way or a two-way and yea

2. tobias95ng

tobias95ng
    Expand Collapse

can you remove the hitbox of the street sights ?

because the collisions with that 1 node pilar are awkward and a pain in the ass for the AI if you let a Truk with Trailer drive around ( always Stuck at those sights -_-)

3. STEVIE_G4M1NG_YT

STEVIE_G4M1NG_YT
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if anyone's already reported this but all the bridges won't collide so when you drive over them, you just fall through them.

4. A Human Person

A Human Person
    Expand Collapse

they collide for me

5. NewtonASDF

NewtonASDF
    Expand Collapse

upload_2019-5-3_23-11-29.png
    OK
    20190503230512_1.jpg
    (Its paired with a 1660 ti. Yes i know this is dumb, i have a reason to do so.)
    Very fun map. Thanks for making it!

6. Gamergull

Gamergull
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I had a lot of fun testing traffic here lately. Try racing through the main street of Harriman at 300 km/h, with 7 or more AI drivers. It's like NFS Underground drag races, but with brutal consequences for failures.

• Like Like x 5
  7. darjee23

darjee23
    Expand Collapse

Hi!
    I really love this map, thank you so much for your time and effort. I am really looking forward to the updates that will come!

I noticed one minor flaw though, which is somewhat game breaking, at least for me:
    I do not have the strongest machine. In the area, where I made the attached screenshot, there are three huge orange street models under the map. I guess they are for development purpose.
    The problem is: Wherever I am on the map, if my camera points in the general direction of this area (i.e. it is in my field of view), i have huge frame drops. From a stable 50 to merely 20 frames per second. I went to the map editor and removed these three entities, and voilá, super smooth gameplay.

Maybe this is something you could consider for the next update.
    Thanks again for this wonderful map!

Attached Files:

• Screenshot26.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. EdxTm

EdxTm
    Expand Collapse

Great map. Just couldn't make the trains run smoothly. It seems some of the rails are not aligned at some points, so they derail. Aside for that, great fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Large orange things under the map - those were original fitted to the surface of the map before the road goes in, and shaped according to what I wanted the road to be. I then go and carve the terrain with them, assign asphalt traction & place the road, smoothing out any imperfections that become visible then. To test I lower the orange thingies down below the terrain and see if the resultant roadway is good enough for the finished product. Sometimes, however, I forget to remove then OR I am not done using them yet.
    I will make sure to remove them in the future. I have much better futuristic satellite internet now, so I might just be able to upload my own stuff soon :)
    Sorry they made your PC "Chug", I've not really had reports of that yet - but will keep it in mind for the future.
    You can read all about how to carve beautiful sweeping roads into your terrain just like a pro, in the "Something about roads" thread on this site - search for it - it shouldn't be too hard to find. I went into crazy detail on how to do it along with some other mappers, it's a great read and a big help to budding mappers out there.
    Yes, the trains can have a tendency to derail if used at any significant speed in the map. Sometimes, if you know where it derails often/consistently, you can nudge the piece in the f1 object editor inside the map editor. Due to the imprecise nature of floating point, multiplied by the size of the map - you end up with some loss of precision in the map especially out towards Harriman or the Kingston Fossil Power Plant. This is the same thing that causes the car to shake like a vacuum hose popped off or an old out-of-tune 4-cylinder engine lacking balance shafts. The lack of precision in the north, east, and extreme northwest of the map can be as much as about the width of one of the rails on the railroad tracks. Adding railroad tracks to this map, in hindsight, wasn't a very good idea. That being said, I have a nice complex subway system coming up in the next map I am currently developing, with newer & much better rail pieces.

To fix a botched track joint, make sure you're not full screen in the game, and go into FREE CAM mode (shift+C toggles). Press F11 now. Then when the editor interface comes up, you can press F1. Now go to the joint and select the track (it may be difficult to discern where sections end or begin, but the tracks are done in a modular manner made up of many small bits), make sure you're in the #2 tool mode (should be arrows or something), and select whatever direction would allow you to move the selected chunk of track the correct way to line it up better. Do not attempt to rotate pieces, especially sloped ones, otherwise it can be almost impossible to get it fixed back up again. When you think you've fixed the last pesky bad joint, you can then save your work by hitting FILE > SAVE from the menu, or press CTRL+S which is the hotkey for saving while in the editor. Pressing F11 again exits the editor, and pressing SHIFT+C will get you back to your vehicle. If you make a mistake in the editor and move the wrong thing (the list to the right in the editor tells you what is selected - tracks should be called 'static mesh' or similar - you can press CTRL+Z to undo (or select that from the 'edit' menu above).
    You won't be able to move houses, trees, or modular bridge sections from the f1 object editor (most bridges made of mesh roads were deleted, they're mostly all objects now), you'll need to look into the 'forest brush' editor (leaf icon!) if you want to rearrange any of those. Just don't drag-select while using the f1 or Forest brush editor, as that can lock up the game, or move tons of things at once, REALLY MESSING UP THE WORKS.

Your changes will be saved to documents\beamng.drive\levels\southernhighway. If you update the map from this site, without removing this folder, your changes will override the new map zip file in part, potentially causing all sorts of horrors along the way, so don't forget about that folder and to remove it if you download a new version of the map. Even if the game updates (but you don't remove the folder because you have NOT updated the map from this site, or there is no new version of Roane County because 'this one still works okay'), your changes should stay until you manually delete the folder mentioned above (unless you hit clear cache, that does clean out the levels folder and throws things into a 'backups' folder where it won't easily be found).

I hope this is not too complicated or long-winded (when is it ever not). Trains and this game don't always play nicely together, but it IS possible with the right conditions. Please reference my LOS INJURUS city map thread under forums>maps somewhere for previews of the up and coming attractions on the new map. This one is going to be on the back burner a while yet, getting attention only when it desperately needs it - because - who doesn't want a huge city (that runs well, too)?
    --- Post updated ---
    You're very welcome bud.
    The Athlon 200GE is a Ryzen-based, dual core, quad-thread chip that should easily run two vehicles. You can often overclock those on the included cooler up to 3.7~4.0ghz with no or just a small voltage increase. They're a great entry-level chip and compete with the i3 series from intel (i3's before the 83xx were dual-core quad-thread like yours).
    Ebay usually had gobs of cheap Ryzen processors, should you ever need to upgrade and have a little chingy in your pocket for it. That being said...
    7/7 (8 days away or so!) is the Sunday release of Ryzen 3xxx series. All non-APU Ryzen 3xxx series are 7nm chips and have significantly better floating point (BeamNG Physics) performance, so if you have an AM4 motherboard B350/X370/B450/X470 you can update the bios and drop one of those new chips in, and it will SCREAM. *Athlon 200 series processors based on the Ryzen architecture are normally not sold as 'overclockable' but with the right motherboard, it won't be locked down, as all desktop Ryzen processors from the get-go are overclockable and do not have a locked multiplier
    Ryzen 3xxx APU processors are still based on 12nm and have the 2xxx series cores, not the newer, faster, improved 3xxx cores on 7nm. Please keep this in mind, as there will be a noticeable performance delta between Ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx processors with BeamNG physics. Ryzen 3xxx 7nm processors have native 256-bit wide FPU (imprecise fast math) cores, 1 per ALU (regular processing core for precise math), and also natively handle AVX-256 bit instructions (AVX2).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Hi Darjee,
    I’m looking at your pic trying to figure out where that is. Is that along I-40 one exit west of the airport exit? If so, that’s where I’m having similar problems.

Could you maybe please share the names of the three entities from World Editor, so that I can remove them too?

Thank you.

--- Post updated ---
    The forum format won't let me make a separate post reply from the one above (without treating it like an edit/update), so to make it clear, I'm addressing two different people here, on two totally different topics:

Bob, I’m new to your map having just DL’d it a few dys ago. Simply amazing. I could try to describe it in words, but I have nothing intelligent to add that hasn’t already been said by everyone else.

I do have 3 general map making questions, as it pertains to your map, and your experience making maps:

1. Do maps always have to be perfectly square, or can one dimension be longer than the other?
    I ask because I think most of the stock maps are square, so I’m wondering if the same holds true for the 3rd party map makers as well?
    You say your map is 175sq-mi, so can I take that to mean 13.22 x 13.22mi, or not necessarily so?

2. Do map edges always have to align perfectly with the compass rose— one edge north-south the other east-west, or can the author rotate the square any number of degrees on the compass rose that they choose?
    I ask because it seems that most map authors run their longest straight awayroads NE—SW or NW—SE, because (I’m guessing?) they’re trying to take advantage of the extra distance on the diagonals (hypotenuse , which they won’t achieve running roads parallel to the edges of the map.
    And is this why in any map, I seldom see a long straightaway running due N—S or due E—W?

#1250 B3_Burner, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  11. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes, That's the Westel Exit, the west-most exit on US 40 in this map. If you use the US 40 WEST END, and drive straight down the highway, it's the first exit you'll see.
    Map terrains I believe are only supposed to be square. I never tried a rectangular one, even in powers of 2 (they must be in powers of two), but seeing as there hasn't been one yet, and we don't have tiled terrain support, I don't think it is possible. You could always 'HIDE' terrain from view/collision that you don't need, by using the 'make hole' tool in the f2 terrain editor tools.
    The map is roughly 13.2x miles across by that much wide. I believe in KM that's 21.9 x 21.9 km.
    I am pretty sure you can rotate the terrain any which was you wish. It's almost always easier to leave it at a right angle though, as 99% of the time it's captured that way.
    The roads in this map are done as-per the real map data. I didn't make any 'made up' roads here in this map except two small bits of trail at either end of US 40 to get on or off there at the map edge. So whatever the direction of the road IRL is the direction of the road in the map. Surely some mappers realized with geometry your diagonal is going to be longer than just a line from north to south, or east to west, and so the longest roads can follow a diagonal.
    Glad you like the map. I know some people in real life and many on here who just love to cruise around on this map - as that's what it's for, cruising and chasing!

12. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the quick reply. Regarding the Westel Exit, what were the 3 entities that 'darjee23' said he removed from the world editor?

13. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

[darjee23 said... "I went to the map editor and removed these three entities, and voilá, super smooth gameplay." ]
    Darjee,

Apologize for the odd question. I didn't understand how it worked til a few moments ago. There's a million and one things in the world editor named "decal road" and "mesh road", without any unique identifiers for each! I now see why it was silly of me to ask you to name the entities. I just had to fly with the detached camera to the orange roads buried underground, click on them with my mouse, and the proper line in the World Editor was highlighted in blue.

Now it makes sense.

14. CODYISAWSOME

CODYISAWSOME
    Expand Collapse

Idk I have to redownload the map, but what I would do is pretend that the train tracks had to be removed bc the line is old and the city never removed the rail road logo on the road for some reason.

15. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

A Human Person said:
    Is that by old town Rockwood on Airport Rd. looking to the northwest? If so... then yeah, I have railroad tracks there. In fact I also have the red-light RXR “cross-bucks”, though those are transparent and my vehicle drives through them. But the tracks sure are solid— as I can attest to.

EDIT and Pic Insert: So this is the same intersection as you had shown and here is what I see when I go there on my computer:
    DowntownRockwood--OldTownRxRcrossing.jpg

and for comparison purposes... yours below:
    upload_2019-4-25_19-53-27.png

I’ve seen it suggested to someone else, but clear your cache. Then move your current .zip file of this level somewhere safe, and not in game (just so you can bring it back if this doesn’t work). Then delete any remaining traces of this .zip in either the mods and repo folders, and delete any files in the levels folder. Shut down game, open back up, clear cache again. Open up repository and download a fresh copy of the Tennessee map. Open game, load the map, check if the railroad tracks now appear.

I’m curious if you’ve had the same copy of this map installed from version 0.15 and back? Or was this a new install after the game update to v0.16, and this still happened?

I can tell you that I just downloaded this for the first time about a week or two ago, having never had it before— on a new computer I just got on June 1st, and the railroad tracks loaded fine for me. Given my download was mid to late June, clearly it was a fresh DL on v0.16. So I have zero prior experience with Tennessee on v0.15 or any further back. I’m new and very late to the Roane County homecoming, but that’s the best I can suggest, given my limited experience with anything by Mr. Blunderton. Hope this helps.

#1255 B3_Burner, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  16. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Bob, how come some people (ie- YouTube demonstrators) have I-40 overpasses with 45 degree angle pillars, and my download only came with standard 90 degree cylindrical pillars? (didn’t think a pic of mine was necessary— we all know what typical freeway overpass pillars look like) Will the download sense the power of my computer, and adjust the object types it gives me accordingly?

55A60349-4400-4C15-8F6E-2F156B1A80FD.jpeg

[Video Screen shot courtesy of 'Davidinark']

#1256 B3_Burner, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. Magnusbagnus

Magnusbagnus
    Expand Collapse

So I’ve been using this map for a few months now!
    I love it!

turns out my parents and I decided to turn off i40 and we’re in the travel lodge parking and I’m freaking out!!!!

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the Roane County Tennessee area, then. Tennessee is a beautiful place, with lovely people. There's a good dose of the south and heaping amounts of wilderness, and if you get out to the Gatlinburg area, there's lots of tourist traps / fun things.
    Tail of The Dragon / Deal's Gap (it has two names) is a two hours drive east of there, on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee. If you go there, just know I made a map for that one, too.
    Sorry for the super-long time on response, I don't check this thread too often.
    The 45 degree angle pillars will once-again grace this map, however, I ported the road kit over to the map using the new stuff from Los Injurus. The old pillars were the 45 degree angle ones, and they didn't have collision, so I used the ones that did in their place - which is the standard pillars you see. I will someday make a modular bridge kit that looks like that, because I happen to like them. I custom designed them with the old-style mesh roads and object shapes back when the game didn't eat them on re-load of the map (just the mesh object crude shapes). When the game started eating shapes, JDBensch made the custom model (though without collision) back in 2017 or so, to help the map look better, and I used barriers near them to prevent collision deficiencies being noticed much.
    So they 'are on the list'. I spent most of two weeks working on the AI and updating bridges in this for now, so I didn't want to add any more dev-time which took away from Los Injurus while I was doing it.
    Dave had a slightly older version. Mostly the only new stuff is different models + better AI. The AI update for my map was developed in conjunction with the traffic tool mod, before it was part of the game. So it works decent, except some spots where the road narrows (the AI gets mixed up and turns around sometimes).

• Like Like x 3
  19. consulaisme

consulaisme
    Expand Collapse

Poles are closer then they appear

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2019-12-25_18-47-03.png
    • screenshot_2019-12-25_18-52-30.png
  20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This is known. The pole was originally a street sign pole from ages ago (2016~2017) when that was all I had, that I text-edited a different texture onto it (hacky but worked!). It doesn't have 100% the same scaling on the collision mesh as the visible mesh. So in essence, when I enlargened a street sign pole to make bollards near loading docks - and even worse, round support columns, THAT happened as the collision mesh was bigger than the visible mesh slightly. Bare with me here, for a month or two until I have time to fix that issue (I will fix the collision on that model and replace it with box-type collision, which will be OK for what it's used for and the box shape might not eat the car randomly either).
    This map has so many flaws, from it's performance to it's odd-ball collision on poles, to signs that eat cars (and thank goodness I re-did the bridges already!), but it was the map that couldn't be done, shouldn't be done, but I DID IT ANYWAY. Still a fun map if your PC has the grunt to run it, though. One day it'll be heavily - and I mean heavily re-worked, but that might not be until late 2020 or early 2021. It will however get emergency updates as-needed, when needed, until then.
    --Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice