WIP Beta released The Tennessee USA Roane County 0.71 Beta Discussion/Suggestion/feedback Thread 19.3.1

HUGE 175sq/mi, 193+ miles of roadway, US40 highway, 3 Towns, Signs, Working Traffic Lights, Trees

1. PurePlatinum

PurePlatinum
    Expand Collapse

What are your plans for the hills? From the air the colors really contrast and it doesn't look like anywhere in the Appalachians. It doesn't look so bad from the ground but it's certainly noticeable and a little distracting. It's as if this is a desert with fertile valleys. I hope you have some plans in the future for this.

Great map otherwise, it's scenic, not too saturated with roads, but just enough to give the player a view of everywhere on the map. And the scale is impressive too, considering the detail that goes into it. I can tell you're working really hard on this. It's nice to see your continued commitment over months and months. Keep it up, man!

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

It's not a desert, it's actually a sandstone plateau on the western part of the map (it goes up a good 800 feet).
    I happen to live (past the west edge of this map a half hour in real-world terms) on this sandstone plateau.
    Normally, there's be mountains full of trees, but that would MURDER the frame rate, and yank the ram-requirement through the roof. Like, 10gbs of free RAM to load and not just 5.55gb free RAM to load as it is now (with details maxed, btw, up to 1gb less on lowest).
    People already cry and whine when they try to run the biggest map available for a pre-release un-finished game with an out of date or 5 year old computer, and can't. I don't know why, but they think that some average Joe can make a perfect map for their 5 year old PC for free on a cutting edge game and that it's just going to magically work, for free at that. There's always a trade-off somewhere.

It's a FPS and RAM requirement trade-off. I don't know of a way to lighten the RAM load yet without just omitting a lot of the trees.
    This is why the forests are sparse. My machine can run dense maps of forest, but when the RAM footprint was 10+ GB with it all in, and that was with 60% of the foresting done, I knew that wouldn't work. The physics collision model is what takes up the space.
    I will probably put a dummy forest cover in, in the mean time, which will just be a dark forest-colored ground to mimic the color/texture of tree-tops, where you can't get to readily.
    So versus a boring green lump where a mountain should be, there's a beautiful cliff-face or whatever it looks like, heap of sandstone-etc. It originally was put in, in the early versions to denote where the mountains and high-hills were so I could more easily plot the roads in. I liked it, and I preferred it to the high-RAM-requiring green tree-filled mountains. Yes, there's lots of exposed sandstone cliffs out here. Until most computers have more than 16gb of RAM (not for 2~4 years yet!), I don't think I can do much about this.

These are not the Appalachian Mountains here, they're the Smokey Mountains, for what it's worth.

No rudeness intended for what it's worth, blunt yes, rude no, never.

Also, thanks, in regards to the commitment, yes, I stay at things, I do switch to other projects as they need attention (periodically, and to get a breath of fresh air). However, when I make something, I will make sure to maintain it, and see it through to completion, even if it may take years, so long as it's possible to complete it I will. I will not be one of those people that uploads and half-finished map for attention and then fails to complete it due to attention deficit disorder or something along those lines. There's too many of that and I lack the prerequisite Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD, ADHD also, which adds hyper to the mess), to be able to feel like abandoning everything. I just have a lot of free time and I enjoy creating things. Some people like shooter games, those really aren't my deal. I like being able to drive through my creation.
    That and I've wanted to 'make my own 3d race track' for something about 23 years now or so since I started using PC's and played NEED FOR SPEED (the first one, the second one, then the third).
    ALPINE FOR THE WIN! Check out Tail of The Dragon (still featured a month later, at that!), if you loved ALPINE in NFS II or III and haven't seen THE DRAGON yet.
    I commit to finishing things, whether everyone will still be here and able to run it, who knows, but seriously, I will finish it, as much as possible, until I either:
    overload Beamng.drive or otherwise exceed the game's ability,
    out-do my computer's capabilities (then I upgrade it, and continue),
    or successfully finish what I am doing (yay!), as intended.

--That is all - expect a new version of this to be available hopefully by the 1st of October, 2nd or 3rd at the latest. It will be version 0.81 and it is 876.3mb ZIPPED. It's 1.94gb unzipped :x Ouch.

#722 bob.blunderton, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Looks like Monday the 2nd it should be available to download, version 0.81 of Roane County, weighing in at a hefty 876.3mb compressed, almost 2gb uncompressed, and requiring 5.55gb system RAM free just to load in (at maximum texture / graphics detail).
    Ram requirement up to 1gb less if using low/lowest details, for those with older systems. No promises of operation for systems with 8gb or less of system RAM but it has been reported it usually runs fine unless you have lots of memory-hog applications open (close out the web browsers, or Ipunes, etc, before running). Best case scenario is systems with 12~16gb of system ram, a good strong CPU and a good strong graphics card (Vega, Nvidia 1xxx series, or any 470, 480, 560, 570, 580 or Fury Radeon cards, Nvidia 970/980 etc should be fine enough too). Radeon 7750, or Nvidia 750ti is probably not enough for this, unless you're running at 720p or 'low' setting at 1080p. Video memory use is just a hair north of 4gb at times, only by a few megabytes, on maximum.

Remember, this is the largest map, for free, on Beamng. It's not going to run beautiful, but it is most definitely very very playable and runs fine without frame drops below 60fps on top-end hardware, except in a select few spots (but they're few and far between).

Users of AMD FX (or APU) CPU's would be advised to disable shadows to run.
    Users of older or non-high-end graphics boards would be advised to disable reflection completely, if it gets slow (below 30~35fps) in town or near heavily developed areas like shopping centers or areas of extreme visibility (high spots in the map).
    An Nvidia 1070 or 1080 (ti or not), or Radeon 580, Vega will do quite well and may even be able to leave reflections ON.

Performance quoted for 1080p resolution. 1440, or 4k, your results will differ accordingly.
    Tested on a Radeon Rx 480 8gb 1300mhz core clock, 4.4ghz intel 4xxx i7 cpu, 16gb ddr3-2400mhz dual channel cas-11 memory kit.
    Graphics setting - texture detail max, reflections on, minimum detail/faces/etc @ 300m distance, shadows on.

I will hear from you folks Monday! --Cheers!

4. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

Hype train choo choo

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Hahahaha yeah tell me about it. It's a lot of work, it's some of my finest detail in a map to date.
    The last post was more like "the fine-print", for anyone sure if their system will make the cut or not. I sure hope *I* (or this map for that matter) am not the reason that RAM prices went through the roof last year after I made it public (you know what, nothing suprises me anymore).
    To all that are waiting for the new version, it should be online tomorrow, look for the version update and an 876mb file on the download list. The new version is 0.81 replacing 0.7x, so that's what to look for. Description update will come later.
    DO NOT USE YOUR MINI-MAP HUD APP ON THIS GAME MAP MOD. IT LAGS OUT THE UI AND THE UI "MEMORY-LEAKS".
    Be aware of this, there's something up with the UI exe making a fuss over this map, so don't leave it on overnight. It will run the map just fine for even hours-long sessions of play, however, leaving the mini-map on will make the UI lag out in v 0.10 of the game.
    Memory Leak = increasing requests for RAM use without freeing up the RAM it's done with, however, this goes away when the UI exe is closed with the game or with task manager (if it goes to 12gb if you leave it on overnight, you may have to use task manager to close it). It won't break or damage your PC or PC hardware, but it could be 'annoying' never-the-less.

That is all, I will see everyone tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Be advised, I am boarding the hype train

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
  8. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

9. るєаηѕ りєєр

るєаηѕ りєєр
    Expand Collapse

10. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I don't mind waiting. I'm sure my computer will thank me

11. 2000ToyotaCorolla

2000ToyotaCorolla
    Expand Collapse

my pc is in my description please someone tell me if it will run this map

12. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

It might dip in places, and run alittle slower, but should generally be fine
    --- Post updated ---
    Just watch out for the RAM, as apparently it uses a fair bit

13. 2000ToyotaCorolla

2000ToyotaCorolla
    Expand Collapse

i got 8 gigz of ram and a r9 270 my gpu is starting to die 3 monthes ago beamng used to run 60fpson utah now 20-50 fps on utah but usualy around 30

14. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Your computer might just be dirty, and the cooling is alittle worse. Get some compressed air on it or something and it might help. It might be slowing down your GPU because it starts to overheat.

Also the download seems to work now, so happy days

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Your CPU is Excavator core AMD, turn shadows off to truly enjoy the map well enough. You might not run a T-series well on the CPU.

Homie it's chugged with dirt, that card. Take it out by removing the screw and monitor cable on the back, and hold card by edges only.
    There might be a tab on the graphics card slot you have to push down, or sideways, read your motherboard manual.
    Make sure to wear no sweaters, hoodies, socks on carpet, etc, while doing this, as that causes static which kills micro-chips.
    Pull it out the case and set it down and blast the dust out with compressed air (a can of it).
    Blast the air in where the air normally is expelled out of the card (usually the back?) and then blast some more air where it needs it.
    Replace card by reversing the procedure, and the tab on the graphics card slot should click into place automatically when it's in far enough, and the bracket with the screw should sit flush, just make sure to put it in as straight as possible, sometimes needs a gentle wiggle (about an 8th of an inch) on cheaper PC cases.
    It should run a little cooler now, if you did it right.

I'd recommend blowing some air into the power supply of the case while it's off. Always hold the can right-side up so it doesn't come out frozen, and don't do it in an enclosed space like a bedroom of a mobile home, or something, as that stuff in the air can they put so people don't breathe it can bother your sinuses.
    Yes it was transferring to the server, it usually is instant, but this map is about twice the size of the limit, so it does take time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Having a good laugh at some of the slogans and names of the company's the open garages are really neat too, great work as always Bob!

17. Sierra-3

Sierra-3
    Expand Collapse

Lol!

YOTE.png

Most awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes I put a LOT of effort into those names/slogans. Lots of knocks at real companies, in the process, not necessarily deserved, but there anyways for the 'lulz' as the kids would say.
    The open garages are original from Occam's Razer's map, Garfield Heights as were many of the house models in Harriman (and just a few in Rockwood, I created most of the homes with modular house bits), I just re-skinned a bunch of them so they didn't all look the same, as repetition was an issue in Harriman I didn't wish to repeat (pardon the wording!).

There will be more new models in the future, give it time. I am taking a break for a day or a few, then I will get back to things proper and fix up one of my other maps that desperately needs fixing.
    There's still another dozen or two miles of roads that must be added into the map, and a lot of efficiency can be gained by cleaning up and simplifying (but not making it look simpler) various aspects of how I constructed things (in both to help FPS where more detail would usually hurt it, to balance things out a bit and to help free up more 'item slots' of 4096 total).
    This map currently uses around 3300 of total 4000 (last 96 reserved for player and other vehicles) objects. This should provide plenty more roads, and other bits to make the map complete. The simple sheer amount of driveways-as-objects (to be replaced with forest brush items that don't use item slots) and such in Kingston and other wasteful bits, would enable me enough spare objects to likely finish the rest of that town off in and of itself! Likely, Kingston will get worked on next, as it's pretty far along and there's not that incredibly much to do on it compared to the dearth of work in Rockwood, and countless blocks left in Harriman.

Current town progress in the release:
    Over-all road installation and detail in the map 85% - goal is 200 miles of roads, about 170 miles are in, give or take a mile or two.
    Kingston 45%
    Rockwood 33%
    Harriman 50~75%
    Glen Alice and Westel 0%, only major roads are in, but these are small towns that barely have a postal code to themselves.
    Amount of roads that have grass on the sides that isn't square = 3~5%. Ugh. Most of this will wait until we get tiled terrain support, which will give this map the detail it deserves in line with all other maps. I've talked to Meywue and Synsol about this, they think it should be in also, so share the love when we finally get tiled terrain support.

Thanks to everyone for supporting the progress of this map with hope and kind words, even if it is "I love this map but it runs like butt on my PC", but as for a large-scale-open-world-map-test, this thus far has been little short of a resounding success.

Eventually I may put donation links up, though that would only be to fund things for health-related expenses and to buy anything needed to help map better. I hate being needy, or begging for things (I won't), I would love to hold a day job but I am physically disabled, my guts are always throwing a fit, my back is totally toast (it sounds like bones BREAKING when I get up or bend over), and I get sugar-shakes so bad sometimes I can't even map... and I won't even begin to describe the pain from my back, but put it this way, I got a tooth infection last summer for the first time in many many years, and I COULDN'T EVEN TELL I HAD ONE. The *DENTIST* told me that 'well I think it's time you get something for your back pain, because I've never had anyone in so much other pain they couldn't feel a tooth infection'. I could only feel it if I chewed on it. Money gained from this wouldn't go to buy fancy PC parts when I already have an i7 4xxx series (even though it's 3 years old, it's sufficient) with the exception of possibly some of it to buy a backup drive etc. No decision has been made yet and I wish not to make one for a bit yet, but alas, about 2000 hours into this map project, I've had a few very kind generous souls inquire about it also, and I've considered it to say the least (I live on a fixed income).

Regardless of that, I will keep mapping, for it's fun, and it keeps my PTSD off other more nasty things, and keeps my mind off the back pain until it overtakes and gets so bad I can't remain upright for a few hours. Pity I do not want, but if you like this map, review it, put it on youtube, do as you need to and want to, but do tell your friends to stop by and try this game and this map out. They might just like driving around with a truck full of pianos, or running a combine-harvester through a whole line of them with the Farming Pack.

COMBINE-ing pianos
    MOWING DOWN pianos
    Never had that much fun with a mower, nor a combine-harvester this side of GTA-SA.

--Cheers, and work does and will continue, regardless.
    There shall be NO pay-wall except to own this game itself!
    --- Post updated ---
    Ah yes, CrashBoomPunk (youtube channel, check it out!) and I were talking about Nevada Interstate and why it feels missing the Coyote, Roadrunner, and ACME trucks, and so that's my contribution for that end of it.
    Glad you like it, I couldn't resist designing that graphic for it. Find all four Coyotes!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Also, if your card still gets hot once cleaning it, you could try a program such as MSI afterburner. It's notmally used for overclocking, but has a feature that allows you to edit the fan curve. If you don't mind alittle more noise, you can make it more aggressive and keep the card alittle bit cooler

20. Joobles

Joobles
    Expand Collapse

How come when I try to spawn in it always spawns me in the same spot in one town with nothing else around? i checked the whole map but its just one small town in the middle of a long flat green expanse (yes I tried clearing cache and reinstalling)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice