Released The Nevada Interstate forum - Succeeded by MODS release - bug reports only here!

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by bob.blunderton, Jan 20, 2016.

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yeah if you have the 3.1 version, it should be able to go pretty much everywhere except a few bridges it just didn't like. I didn't put AI support in until the 3.1 version only the town had it from the old black hills map underpinnings. I will eventually get the fixed version up that has the errors with bridge crossing in a few spots fixed, but it's nothing major.

2. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

sadly it doesnt work? when i put the zip into the mods folder it doesnt show up in the level selector (both maps)

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That's strange, works for everyone else. I am at a loss for what the issue might be, so long as you've placed them both in mods/levels folders. You can (if you don't mind using a bit more drive space up), extract them to beamng.drive/levels (not mods/levels) folder in my documents, so that the folder structure looks like beamng.drive/levels/hiway2/(info.json & art subdirectory is here for nevada) and beamng.drive/levels/tsh(info.json file &art subfolder is here for So-Cal Interstate). They were compressed using the default windows 7 compressed file method, so any operating system Windows 7 and newer should work with it.
    Do other maps work with your Beam installation in the mods directory? Ensure that you haven't downloaded a damaged file, which can happen, and would cause beam not to display it (as it cannot read it). Hiway2 would show up in the level selector as (The) Nevada Interstate, and TSH would show up as So-Cal Interstate. Make sure to restart Beam if you haven't.

4. Sebas-Kitty

Sebas-Kitty
    Expand Collapse

i wil do it when i get my new hdd since my hdd is dieing (2400 hours wow)

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

OFFTOPIC:
    DON'T bother buying hdd's anymore, buy a reliable MLC-based-nand SSD. Only go with TLC-based-nand if you are aware of the limitations on TLC-based nand, and want a better gb/price ratio. HDD is outdated tech.
    What takes 30 seconds to load on HDD, takes a fraction of that time to load on a SSD (5~10 seconds).
    HDD's have moving parts, and die frequently because of this. Random drive failure + moving part failure = more failure than 'random drive failure' alone. This is especially important for laptops that can be easily dropped or even desktop computers that can get punched or kicked by users going aggro! :)

Whilst I recommend Toshiba Q-pro and Q-300-pro drives, they're a tad pricey, go with Transcend MLC drives, Samsung MLC drives (not EVO series!!!), or even Sandisk MLC-based drives. Read up on hardware tech news sites to find the best drive for your price range. While TLC-based nand drives aren't worthless, they're still better than a HDD in reliability. Transcend MLC drives are some of the best price per GB and the performance is pretty good. If you have a brand-new computer (Z97, X99, or Z107 skylake chipset), see if your motherboard supports the new M.2 NVME standard (while pricey, it blows the door off most anything).

#85 bob.blunderton, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. wikchi

wikchi
    Expand Collapse

This map is terrible

Terribly GREAT

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

hahaha, okay, I take it you like it then? I hope you do, it takes HUNDREDS of hours to make a map like this.

This is based off the original Black Hills 2015 map by Ouerbacker (A large empty desert, with one winding snake like road, a few dirt paths, a small semi-abandoned town, and two wind-farms and half a tunnel)
    I added in (with permission of course) a big highway loop, many road textures created by me, and dozens of miles of side-road added in. I am sure it will receive a bit of sprucing up at some point (texture-wise) when I get more texture-work done on my current map (it's a drop in replacement short of a few bigger intersections and detail work)... but until then do enjoy.

8. wikchi

wikchi
    Expand Collapse

Oh sweeet yeah i love it.

I thought it looks familiar in parts.

Runs great for the most part until i look out from a hill and it drops from 60-100fps to 30fps but its fun the AI are a blast

9. FirebladeRX-7

FirebladeRX-7
    Expand Collapse

Beautiful map, the work really shows. The only problems I've encountered so far is that there appears to be an invisible wall in the middle of the really long tunnel, caught me by surprise. and another one on one of the overpasses in the mountainous area (I can try to find it again and get a screenshot if needed)

I got a kick out of the Black Mesa references, I had to slam on the brakes and do a J turn the first time I saw one.

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Invisible wall??? Update must have done something, or it's a cache issue on your end. I will run it and check it out.

11. FirebladeRX-7

FirebladeRX-7
    Expand Collapse

All the textures look perfect which is usually my first clue as to a cache issue. I'll clear my cache to be sure anyway.

CONT.
    Cleared cache, didn't fix it. The tunnel one is in the right lane (Im not sure which direction of travel, not that familiar with the map yet) if you're in the left lane you'll miss it. I also encountered another one on an overpass. They seem to be centered over the "convex shape" elements.

Attached Files:

• 20160609024858_1.jpg
    • 20160609025828_1.jpg
    • 20160609030450_1.jpg
    • 20160609030509_1.jpg
    #91 FirebladeRX-7, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I've made a note of it. I have to go back and re-do the textures and fix a few AI bugs. Keep your eyes peeled over the next few days for something. Thanks for your work fishing out this bug. Most likely due to the updates done.

Alrighty, I have found THREE seperate areas where there were issues due to poly-objects having been updated with the game update. This cause the map to load the wrong collision size for Convex Objects. This is why there were invisible walls! The tunnel (N side), Two bridges (one overpass, one underpass near one another on the E side). Thankyou for taking the time to bug-test that find. I might not have found these until I went 100mph through the tunnel as usual.

I've also updated the textures to this map into dds format, for a 10fps speed increase (if you're not cpu limited that is). I have a few more unique places to check for oddball convex object decorations, but other than that, I will be adding some banking to the corners, and generally improving things on this map to try and bring it up to the standards set by So-Cal Interstate (road-smoothing!).

This will take a few days, but I should have something out by the weekend.

#92 bob.blunderton, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

AI test is underway. FPS is up 25~50% for those GPU-Limited folks out there like me. Many corners (but not all) are banked nicely especially on the highway. Pretty much all mesh roads (except a few really short ones @ bridge ends) have been removed. All the mesh roads in the highway have been removed. AI is now pathing across bridges beautifully (includes a map.json with scripted waypoints). Version 4.0 is coming very very very soon. There's very few glitches in the AI to note, and should only take 15~20 mins of work to touch up a few things I noticed whilst the AI was milling about. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

• 20160611231308_1.jpg
    • 20160612023756_1.jpg
    • 20160613000812_1.jpg
    • 20160613001555_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  14. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

It looks geat! :D I see that you also take your road textures on texture.com !;)

15. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes, most of us mappers use textures.com. I had to do an hour or so atleast of work on that concrete texture. It wasn't quite right.

16. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I like your work ethic Bob. You've stuck with this through hell and high water and through it all are continuing to steadily improve. That is what
    this is all about. That type of attitude is always inspirational:cool:.

17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well, I was raised that this is the only attitude to have. My entire life has been like that actually...so this is nothing! :)
    On a side note, I even tried to help Iheartmods fix his 'imposters' issue on his maps. I couldn't do it without removing all the models so no luck there with frozen lake.
    Just glad my maps don't have that issue. There shouldn't be any issues left here on my Nevada map NOW THAT VERSION 4 IS OUT

Nevada Interstate Version 4.0 Fixed AI & No more Mesh Roads on the highway, quality of work update. This is to be considered feature-complete if no bugs are discovered.
    https://mega.nz/#!DdsBhCyb!qsSWIIybnRk9Q4dru-xMnEX9GC16_PFzNQ11qip5Qwo

Get the full scoop and a new wall of text @ the opening post (1st post!).

• Like Like x 1
  18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This should be appearing on the mods page, soon. Thanks guys/gals for all your help, much patience, and the virtue to follow through and take YOUR time to submit bugs. A such small price to pay for having fun in new BEAM maps, but it has not gone without thanks.
    YOU the beta testers - everyone here - made this possible. Job well done team.

Look for another map thread being started in two weeks or so, maybe three, when I have something I can show as proof of concept. I have a Tennessee map in the works, but I am not sure it's the caliber of map I'd like to put my name to. We shall see (but it's huge 21299 units X 21299 world-units). It runs decently enough, but there's just nothing but decal roads and the bridges and water currently.
    Basically, I can smoke a cig in the time it takes to drive across the map from E to W or N to S. It's based on real-life terrain near Kingston, Rockwood, and Harriman Tennessee USA (and 5~ so miles to the west of it too including the big mountain range). It's roughly like 12.x miles by 12.x miles. It will be mostly only decal roads features, no mesh roads if possible.

I am still looking for building 'donations' (if I may so politely ask) for my So-cal map. They should be lightweight but half-decent looking. Signs, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice