Released The Nevada Interstate forum - Succeeded by MODS release - bug reports only here!

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by bob.blunderton, Jan 20, 2016.

1. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

i can look at the roads and see whats going on, btw im good with lighting.

2. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

To stop this go into the material editor and turn transparency off.
    Also check the shadows box in the material editor.

I am also interested in an beta test.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

THANKYOU, that was exactly what I was after - fixed it up like a charm. So glad this isn't a bug and actually is something fixable, as it can be tough to know if certain things have been implimented or not when working on pre-release. So far so good & thanks a million. There definitely is NOT near enough docs about editing this game out there. There is video - but my internet connection really REALLY is intermittent, so video is an absolute no-go for me. It would take me 4 hours to watch 60 minutes on this thing!
    --- Post updated ---
    Cutting through the last mountain(s) right now to lay the last few miles of highway, should be able to close the loop up tonight. While I could have wound it straight through these mountains, some turns would make it much more fun, after-all, it's supposed to mimic a highway winding through the rocky mountains (while the flat parts still feel Nevada-y).
    Once the loop is done and I've flattened out the few bumps on the one approach (it's a decal road going up a mountain-side, nuff said)... I'll then focus on some surface streets leading up to it. All in all this should make for good times.
    I've only one regret - that I did not make a BIGGER map :) The next one will be WAAAAAY bigger, like entirely bigger than this one, but that's next month's follies. I've still got to finish this one (and it will be finished), and decorate it some so it's not 'boring'. My goal is to make this as realistic as possible (even at the slight expense of FPS), as that's what this game is about after-all. It will have appropriate signs, and all. Signs will be one of the LAST things that get put in.
    Check back in two days or so (or atleast by friday night at the very latest), as I should be able to get a beta-testers group going on this by then. This won't go public until it's DONE. I've also managed to keep file-size decent HOWEVER it is unavoidable that it will be slightly bigger than the original Black Hills map this is based off of.

Current unpacked size is sitting @ 426mb :x Runs 30-60fps on a Radeon 7850 2gb video board with 1ghz core clock, and a recent i7 4790k cpu (not OC'ed). The lighting DID hit the FPS, but I've got all the details on high, maxed, etc, so for those of us less fortunate, turning down the lighting distance will help considerably. This map will be set @ dusk. There will be a daytime [Buy a 486!...?] version with most all the lighting removed (except minimal lighting in the tunnels!), for those of us with really rubbish PC's. No one will be left out in the cold, though, and that's all that matters.

For how much I've enjoyed doing this thus-far, this map is going to be the FIRST PART IN A MULTI-PART SERIES! I've really got to get through the blender-roads tutorial though, as mating MESH-ROAD edges with terrain is VERY painstaking, as is working a decal road on a mountain-side (atleast, one you won't fly clean off over 35mph).

Kudos to anyone that remembers where the "Buy a 486 :)" was from. HINT: It was an old dos game.

EDIT: 14.x miles of highway done thus far, only a mile or two to go (one night's worth) to loop it entirely. I think the total is 7 intersections it has (none are 'level crossings' they are all overpasses or underpasses with the appropriate ramps, etc). No signs yet, but it's got most of the intersections lighted. Going to try for some traffic lights (working ones!) but only where needed. It's a rural map, so uhhh might need... 2? All in all, I've already worked out all the car-catcher bumps (the bad ones), and most of the texturing is where it needs to be...
    Hopefully by Friday I'll have something to beta-test for you guys. That'll give me a day or two to 'decorate' and add in a few odds N ends.

#23 bob.blunderton, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

2016-01-26_00008.jpg < if you want this sign then I will donate it to you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Interstate loop has been completed, there is 15.4/14.7mi of highway depending on which direction you take it (it deviates a bit in the mountains, as is in real-life). There's 8 interchanges featuring ramps in all directions (might end up with a 9th somewhere). Working on doing lighting and getting more surface roads in. Put in some 4-lane roads going to the highway, something like you'd find in your local industrial park. Surface streets won't be absolutely glass smooth but they're good enough for right now, I'll come back to those in the end a bit when I do the signing. The road markings are pretty much done & what they need to be (close enough considering I had to be my own one-man texturing army). Lots of winding mountain roads, for those of us that want LOTS of fast track. Found out mesh roads, when made 0.5 to 1 unit wide (about half a foot to a foot) make EXCELLENT jersey barrier (k-rail), as they will happily meander just as your roadway does (left right, up down or a combination of all), and not eat up all the model space I need nor hit performance as badly. Runs pretty good, I'm still getting 25-30fps at the lowest and 50-60fps in other areas, so atleast 2x as good as Canyon of Speed... which is the current minimum fps map @ 13-15fps. This is at MAX detail @ 1920x1080 window or full screen. This is at night with all the dynamic lighting and static lighting going on and a few cars in the map. I am trying not to 'waste' too much time testing it (it is fun, i'll say I am not sure I've ever had this much fun in a Beam map but i'll let ya'll decide). Was going to make more textures and stuffs, but seeing as it's already 426mb unpacked, it'll be sign textures only. Default 7zip compression is putting this around 266mb [it'll be standard zip with regular compression for the upload]. Black Hills original was 241mb zip, so that's not too bad. Have to get back to doing more surface streets, and beings how beautiful this game is, some nice scenic lookouts along mountain-top roadways. I think I'll name one "Car Lover's Leap"... or is that Car Hater's ? Tomorrow I have to start making some sign textures. Thankfully, the open-source community (major linux fan here) has come to the rescue, and that is do-able. Going to do intersection signs, highway placards & interstate route signs, if the contents of Beam don't have what I am looking for... !@#%ing driving game better have a @#$%ing stop sign in the least...
    Doing whatever I can with my 21 years of game-mapping experience to save FPS and model-count by re-using things etc. This way the download won't be like 999mb and cook all the Potato PC's. Will get some screenie's up tonight of the progress.
    --- Post updated ---
    As promised, some screenshots via super-dandy steam profile! Showing everything at night (and some in the day as I was in the editor). So non-fancy of me to not bother removing the UI first... but I can't be bothered with that during the dev process. There may be an alpha-beta-whatever release this weekend as a few people have expressed interest in such. I've tried to NOT destroy any more of the terrain than absolutely necessary during this process for obvious reasons (number one being the reason why I picked this map, the terrain is naturally beautiful). The starting point is temporary for now below-ground in some type of underground thingie that isn't quite sure what it is yet.

BeamNG.Drive map pics here on my beamng shots via profile page on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198153045246/screenshots/?appid=284160
    It's about the first 10-15 pics or so, except the one of a ford truck stuck on a drive safely sign, that's another map. It's 99% my map pics until you get to the ones of the cars stuck in trees as this map doesn't have any trees yet. Don't worry, the 'moon' isn't in the map... that was a booboo - stupid computer!

Whats done? 8 interchanges and a 15.x mile long highway in BOTH directions (so actually, if you were to drive both sides of the highway, it's a like 30.1 miles or something). It's 99% smoothed out perfect, with one or two spots that'll send you off if you go seriously over the speed limit, I'll get to those in time as I get further along. There's about half a dozen to a dozen miles of side-road added. The 8 interchanges have ramps in all directions on and off, so they're done. Lighting is about HALF done. Only two of the interchanges lack lighting currently, the older of the 6 have it done already. I've gotten most of the roads smoothed out enough you can go almost double the speed limit on them before flying clean off if you know how to drive (if you don't, drive the speedlimit otherwise don't complain when you eat some terrain, albeit very pretty terrain). The original tunnel from Black Hills map has been completed and some non-colliding gaurd-rail & rock facade has been set properly for collision - this same road continues on and eventually reaches another road in the distance a mile or more out.

What's not done? Signs for highways and surface streets, and some of the lighting, and anything else decoration-related that isn't entirely essential. Waiting until last so I can balance model poly-count with FPS a bit, and obviously in the even I hit the static model limit (which I doubt I've used more than 25-30% of 4096 units). There is also a roof texture that bugged out due to a type in scripting on one of the models imported from the original black hills, but the roof is pretty flat, and I didn't notice it for a week so for-now that's on the back burner. So yeah, entirely a dupe or two of a yellow metal pre-fab pole-barn with an orange NO TEXTURE roof :x OOOPS. Texturing as it is now, is bare-minimum... not all the road surfaces match entirely (that's low-priority, function over form for now), there's a few overlap errors or skewed decal texture jaggies that happen when mapping sometimes... other odds and end bits that I'm waiting till then end to fix as they happen at-random when you don't notice. There are some places where roads are not too far from the edge of the map, allowing you to 'see' into the void space lacking a skybox. I don't know how to make a skybox in Beam yet so that'll be one of the last things I do as it's got to match the terrain. Starting point is really crude as I mentioned earlier... will get to it eventually, again, one of the last things I do. Some side roads aren't quite smooth enough, this is known and to be expected (but the highway is mostly fine for ludicrous speed - within reason of road turns and conditions). Generally the highway is planned for 70-80mph speed limits in the larger, more modern wide-open sections with a wide median, and a 55-65 mph speed limit in the more narrow, twisty-turny sections that snake through the mountains or otherwise are less modern. There really isn't much PAVED highway shoulder because of the fact it wouldn't really make much of a difference - most spots have 'room' for it though, except the parts with winding hills - so you have a little bit of 'buffer' should you slide off before absolute catastrophe would occur.

Remember, it's not done yet, so when the beta comes out, expect things like side-roads that suddenly end and not-quite-finished intersections, and other bland things. Also, keep in mind that, the more things I add, the bigger the download and RAM requirements at runtime become... during editing it's not unlikely for me to have used up THREE QUARTERS OF MY 16GB OF RAM or more! Runtime req's ofcourse is much much smaller, but you see my point. The more work and more effort I put into this where absolutely not necessary for enjoyment of driving around the map, the harder it is to run, and I'd rather not leave everyone in the dust when it comes to system req's. Trying to keep this so that it'll run for anyone with a Radeon HD 7770 1gb video board or better @ 30fps on medium settings.
    Chances are turning down lighting distance (or turning it OFF and running it in the daytime) will double fps. There will be both daytime and nighttime versions released WHEN ITS DONE as the beta will be the more performance-hungry version modeled at dusk/night.

An evening with an expressway all to yourself, no highway patrol, no one else on the road, and nothing but dozens of miles of expressway and side roads between you and a good time... what will you do?
    --- Post updated ---
    Just finishing up a few retaining walls and working with a few of the gfx. I still have to make all of the road-surface gfx 'match' (e.g. all the old road textures blend in so that the intersections don't look as piece-meal)...but more of that can wait until after beta-release.
    Still have to do preview pics and stuff.
    I think I found most all the boo-boo'ed decal roads (zig-zaggie textures), it really really likes to do that.
    Fixed is the roof texture on the Black Cliffs research facility. The roof texture was there but the reference in the materials.cs wasn't. I believe this is an error from the original black hills map. There's two incidences of this building in the map (both are near wind farms), so no more ugly orange roof to muck-up my screenies :)
    The map now has a damn big DAM... it's like a mini-hoover dam but it's pretty nice to drive across (yes there is a road going across it, if one's going to put something in a driving game, it might as well involve driving in the driving game, ok?). Water in a desert map is a rather touchy subject, but I believe used sparingly beings that there is a population that lives there, it has it's place but again, sparingly so.
    There's now many more road textures. What started as one two-lane road texture with a primitive intersection (square intersections? this isn't 1995...) is now a choice of over two dozen individually different but usable road textures, some being whole width roadways or highways/on-or-off-ramps, others being overlays used to make left turn lanes, stop bars, road-shoulder, and merge aprons and the like. Some roads look recent, others look like they've been there a while. On the subject, there really aren't many car-killing bumps left. I think I've got most of those worked out, though there may be one or two somewhere. Roads have normal and diffuse maps and some have specular maps also, so they'll all not look too 'flat' or boring.
    Lighting is done on the intersections. 24-32fps on medium & high/max settings at full HD on a Radeon HD 7850 2gb 1ghz core... so if you have really junk video, you're going to have to turn settings down or something... or wait until the full release version is out that'll have an unlighted version due to how the lighting cuts the FPS in half (but it really takes you there and gives it some environmental sustainance)... I'd put more lighting in but now I know why Ghost's map was so laggy at times. It's the lighting. Don't worry tho, it's still double to triple the FPS of Canyon of Speed which is 12-15fps.
    Altogether, this is coming along nicely and I should be able to upload something this weekend after going outside and making a tinfoil antennae so I can upload... ugh. Wish I saved the rabbit ears off my last tv-set.
    There are few more miles of surface roads to put in yet but I think it may wait a few days and I take a break (obviously after I upload it). So yeah, entirely going to try to finish up what I am working on and upload this sometimes between tonight and tomorrow night. Provided the interwebs connection doesn't fight me tooth and nail, then I can do that. If I can't I'll goto the other computer and mega-upload it, that has a direct connection to the rubbish DSL we have.
    --- Post updated ---
    OK, I have the gantry part (the big metal frame). I just don't have any of the nifty green signs. If you want to do signs like that, that'd be swell. I don't have ANY signs for this map yet. I have to get around to getting stop signs and all sorts of things, but that'll come after the beta... it's not like anyone would follow them anyways :x
    Thankies. Back to tidying up the map so that I can upload something that resembles 'complete' even though it's not. Some of the highway might be a tad boring, but it'll be fine... it's not boring on the spots where you can do well in excess of 150mph because there is room to in a few spots. Just don't be suprised when you do over 100mph through an s-curve going up or down the mountains and you completely destroy your car. I chose this terrain because it's pretty to look at, as you'll be doing that alot as you crash into it at over 100mph... heh.

6. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

I can model some roadside signs such as exit signs and speed limit signs, and maybe some mileage signs.

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So, it's uploading... to mega, because this LOUSY FORUM won't go past 1% without saying 'an error has occurred' .... yeah, Beam's forums stink. It's something to the odds of 369mb... even though 7z was 271mb, this is 369mb... yea, how about some 7z BEAM??? It's going to take a few hours, because we're in the stone age here in rural TN, USA, and we have DSL, and barely, at that... I am suprised there's even electricity in this town, ugh. So yeah, you'll hopefully have a nice beta to mess about with tomorrow. Runs about 35fps on medium detail and 22-30fps on high/max detail. 2.5x better than canyon of speed runs, so that's good. The bare minimum would have been 2x canyon of speed's fps (it's a great map don't get me wrong but I almost cannot run it). So check back tomorrow because I am not sure I will be up long enough to post the link, but will in about 8-10hrs or so or whenever I get up. It's going to take 2-3hrs to upload and that's after going out and installing a tinfoil antennae on my deck to get better reception...

• Like Like x 1
  8. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry but....ew.
    --- Post updated ---
    The mod is a .zip right? Not a .7z? That would be the source of your error regarding uploading to the forum
    --- Post updated ---
    I might be starting a flamewar here but dude, chill the f**k out. It's your mistake for using .7z, not Beam's. Your map might look good but if you keep talking like that, you will not be well liked. That's now any way to gain a status here (I think of 6677 of having that 'not well liked' status.

#28 iheartmods, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Iheartmods...
    It's a zip file...not a 7zip, beam doesn't work with 7z. I was mentioned it because 7z offers better compression and has for quite some time. . It's just a regular zip file nothing fancy... Not here to be liked, period. "How about some 7z Beam" means "About time we put this in, because this compression makes a 369mb file into a 271mb one" That's a savings of 98mb right there. In no way shape or form did I mentioned I was attempting to put a 7zipped file on a forum who's game works with ZIP files. Please do not assume.

Again, for the record I AM NOT HERE TO BE LIKED, I am here because I had a few questions about map making, which were answered quite timely (thankyou to those that HELPED). I also would like to share the map with others, and possibly get some feedback (ON THE MAP). This forum is preventing me from doing what (I) am supposed to do on it. I did exactly what I am supposed to do, and it didn't work. BeamNG.Drive is a wonderful example of what a driving game could/should be, this forum, not so much of a shining example. Still, looking at things glass-half-full as I was raised, the game is awesome, and I am quite thankful for it. As per the forums, I will no longer even attempt to put files up on it, I would just be wasting my time as it just says "there was a problem uploading".

#29 bob.blunderton, Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

@bob.blunderton Is this map now considered cancelled or not?

Or will you upload it via mega?

Thanks either way.

11. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

The choice for the deflate algorithm makes sense, because it offers fast decompression. Sure, the .7z file format supports some other, more file-size efficient compression algorithms, but those will greatly increase loading times, and loading times are already long. Just use 7zip to make your deflate-zip files, as long as you set all settings as high as they can go that'll still offer decent compression. If you're still not satisfied, use zopfli.

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

As far as I know mods over 250MB are still creating errors. Get it below 250 and see if it
    works.

13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

No way to get it below 250. Not gonna work unless I split the file. They need to fix this forum before I can upload it. Going to try and put it on dropbox and filedropper. Really disgusted with this forum at the moment and then getting cussed out by Iheartmods for saying so & told I'm stupid (for him assuming I was doing something which I wasn't...).

The map isn't cancelled, it just won't be available to download from BeamNG.Drive servers for the forseeable future due to PROBLEMS which are out of my hands. I will try dropbox and filedropper. It's already backed up on Mega, but not sure if you can share stuffs with Mega's free service. You will still be able to download this map, just be aware that there is going to be a delay in me getting this uploaded.

I worked my [omitted] off trying to get this map in a state that'd be OK to preview, due to demand, and this [redacted] forum fought me tooth and nail trying to [bleep] upload it, so I'm a bit [lots and lots of omitted words] steamed right now at it. They've really got to fix this. So, on and off today, i'll spend the (hours) time needed to try and get this uploaded. Since it's not going to be a zip on these forums, I used 7z and stuck the zip file into a 7z cabinet file and it shaved 30-something MB off the download (hey that's like 20-30 mins saved for me, seriously). The internet here is pretty bad for uploading. To load this map when it's uncompressed takes around 20-25 seconds, but I do have a pair of Raid'ed SSD's on here with 1065mb/sec read times, so YMMV. As long as you have a pretty decent video board, you should be fine with this map.

On that note, does this forum allow uploading of files in multiple parts? That I could possibly do. I'd really like to get a map out to you folks, after as much work has gone into it. If I had decent internet connection here, I'd just share a folder via the computer [as a server] & be done with it.

14. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

Yes.

I have also had this issue with uploading a map, mine was 93,2mb, the forum gave error on Mozilla Firefox [1rst upload] and internet explorer [2nd upload].

The third time I tried on internet explorer and it worked. I also have DSL internet [ 0.30mbps up and 5mbps down].

15. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Dropbox seems to be working - with my super-high-tech-internet-reception-increasing antennae installed on my back deck of course (read: 10 cents worth of tinfoil taped to a deck chair...). Atleast it's nice out, so I can go out and fix it if the wind blows the internet (tinfoil) away. It's 5-parts because of occasional (but much much less frequent) packet loss & my rubbish 2mb down 256kbps up internet connection. Each 75mb part takes over a half hour to upload. So, when you get it, just put it in your documents/beamng.drive/levels folder and unzip (or rezip it into one file and stick into the mods folder just don't get mad if it doesn't work). Credit to ouerbacker for the original map & terrain and it's associated models and textures and the original decal roads (two lane, and some dirt roads). I preserved them as best as I could, out of respect. Ghost's map is where I sourced the lights from, so credit to him for a nice light fixture model. ALL of the nifty highway textures I had to make myself... they have normal mapping but no specular mapping as my texturing skills don't quite have specular-mapping down yet. I re-used the specular map where I was able on some of the other two-lane roads, but I couldn't realisticly use it for other things. It's about 40% done with all the files (there is 5). Everything used in this map mod is contained within the map's directory structure. There's an orange roof texture on one of the models that won't stay fixed that's the only bug. There were non-colliding lamp-posts but I fixed that. The large dam in the map is now lit up (you should run this map at night). FPS is 25-58fps depending on where you are on a decent video card, so it should be playable for anyone that has any kind of mainstream add-on or gaming graphics card. Basically, if you can run this game fluidly, you can run this map. Map should be live within the next 1-2 hour or so. I will edit this post and post the link to the shared dropbox folder and also put it in the first post.

Please let me know if you think there's plenty of FPS in this map or not. Let me know what kind of video hardware you have and your CPU/RAM situation, too. I need to know what kind of rigs you guys have so that I can make a map that (mostly) everyone can enjoy. This way I know how much more I can populate this map. I am making this on a relatively recent machine with a ho-hum gaming video card. A usable discern-able spec sheet would look something like [using mine as an example]:
    "i7 4790k cpu @ 4.4ghz" "16gb 2400mhz ram" "Solid State Drives in Raid 0" "Radeon 7850 2gb video board" "Windows 7 Home x64"
    ...and tell me something about what you think...
    "The map runs great/okay/like rubbish/doesn't work at all/u suck/stop mapping we hate you get the [words omitted] off our forum if you hate it so much" etc... you get my point. :)

CREDITS:
    Map terrain, associated models/textures (if not from BeamNG.Drive itself) found in Black Hills map - Ouerbacker
    The light posts which are found all around the map are from "Ghost's Map" also available on this forum. Also, an unused highway Gantry (big overhead sign). You wouldn't have liked me trying to use square chunks as lights so... :x I didn't have any signs at the moment to post on it, so at this moment, it's not in the map itself but it is in the data files ready to be textured and used when I get signs.
    The bridge pieces are from the Yellav Valley map, they were pretty awesome and about the only thing that'd work to build a highway as I could build it. If you put them on an angle you can't use the piece with built-in pillars, though, so you'll have to build your own out of sketch-up objects. So credit goes to the Yellav Valley map author for the bridge pieces (I haven't seen them elsewhere).
    The highway textures and other road-surface textures you won't see anywhere else are made by myself, as is the entire highway and any other surface roads (like the 4-lane), and the dam and it's associated water bodies to try and blend it into the terrain (yeah right, into a desert?)... yeah made that too. Concrete textures you see (except the stone texture in the highway walls) I imported into the game. Everything you see (if you'd like to use it) that I imported is in the map folder under /art/buildings/roads. Highway keystone block, road textures (all), stonework, concrete, the like. Pretty much everything you'd need to build a highway. FEEL FREE TO USE MY HIGHWAY/ROAD TEXTURES & IF YOU NEED MORE I WILL MAKE THEM. Concrete textures will be coming eventually.
    Setting on-ramp lane textures to width of 5-8 makes them pretty realistic depending on if you're just patching over a portion of the road to make an apron (5 width) or making a ramp single-lane (w7-8).
    There's a few dozen of them, plenty to make plenty of varying types of road. Everything but chevron-ing is in there. That's coming up in the final version along with a few more resurfaced ramp textures.

Errata/Notes/Features that should not be:
    *The starting point refused to be moved. Whatever I did, it constantly moved itself back, below ground and refused to stay put where I moved it! So the starting point is a bit odd (it sucks!). So I hastily made an underground somewhat-cylindrical room that you start in, almost like a missile silo without the missile silo textures. I wasn't going to rob Half-Life to pirate textures into this.
    *Orange texture on the roof of two buildings which is associated with the wind farms. It's an error in one of the materials.cs which was also present in the Black Hills map version I had sourced. I tried to fix it but it refused to stay fixed. You won't really see it unless you're flying (in a plane). Cars don't usually go this high and the roof is pretty flat.
    *Occasional flickering textures, more-so near the edge of the map (that's just Beam for you). It's the nature of the game. It gets worse the bigger the map. If the flickering textures bother you, close your eyes or turn off your monitor (or don't use this map). When you're driving the road textures don't usually ever flicker, so no biggy.
    *Typo in the map description, nothing major. Forgot to fix that.
    *Occasional bumps (nothing too major) where mesh roads meet decal roads. I fixed the ones on the highways so those are smooth sailing. Where bridge surfaces meet road surfaces bumps are to be expected. Just keep the car pointing straight over the bridge sections and you won't have an issue.
    *If you drive 5-8mph over one of the bridges on the E side the tires go flat on the car, Beam Glitch? I couldn't reproduce it no matter how hard I tried at reasonable speeds for a highway, but if you went super-slow over it POOF. It's not at a joint, so I'd say "Beta game!"... It's near the super-hilly intersection on the E side on the inner-side of the highway loop on the lower of the two bridges.
    *Not all road textures match. Some of this is intentional, some is not. I did what I could within reason for this being my first map, I'd say it's not too bad. It will be improved.
    *It NEEDS SIGNS, I have someone sourcing some signs as I type this (thanks Giga), I have a Gantry (from Ghost's map also), but it's not used yet as I haven't even made sign textures yet to put on it. So if you can make big green highway signs, feel free, the more modular, the better. IT HAS NO SIGNS (not any more than Black Hills did).
    * It needs a LOT more guard rails placed. FPS was plummeting like a rock, So I'm not going to put them in until the map is almost entirely complete & I fork lo-fi and hi-fi versions. Bare with me here, maybe another month or so for the final version (or a few weeks, depends).
    *Don't you DARE use AI in this map and try to complain that it doesn't work. You will have some very odd things happen if you do YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. It's not ready and neither is my skills of using AI nodes. If someone wants to give me the down-low on AI nodes, I'd gladly listen to you (and thank-you so highly).
    *There is one road that will allow you to drive off the edge of the map, for all you people that were taught that mumbo-jumbo about Columbus not falling off the edge of the earth, go ahead and try it. The earth is NOT round in BEAM, it is FLAT, attempting to sail off the edge of it in a car (or a boat, if you are so inclined to use on in the desert), will only result in a spectacular crash & you having to re-spawn. There's a reason why that guy's not still alive, never-mind that being 500+ years ago.

Everything else is driveable and collide-able, and enjoyable. Mesh-roads are properly showing shadows and what-not because of a kind user on this very forum thread (thank-you). I have gotten the 'Bugatti Veyron' look-alike car up to over 170mph on these highways (usually resulting in a really bad flying-car-crash with wheels passing me up). I am sure you can go faster, but I'm driving with a keyboard. I have tested this track with Pessima's new and old, the Hate Tank (1970s thing), a Cube van, a commercial box truck, the sports car with twin turbo, and it's wonderful to say the least.
    If you've got a keyboard, get in a Pessima and have a go at it. There's a few bouncy spots in 2 of the hills, but nothing an experienced driver can't handle.

I couldn't have done this without the community's help answering my many noob questions on things like Mesh road transparency settings, "How to delete cloned car instances" (giga, thanks), and other odds & ends that are not quite as intuitive. Thankyou Ouerbacker, you're a very kind man to let me use your map, I really am glad there are people in the community like you.
    --- Post updated ---
    The map is live. See the first post for download links. Screenshots are from the 1st 2-3 days and don't really do it justice but give you an idea of what to expect. There's a post above this one that explains all the odds and ends and in more detail. It's not done, but there's plenty of fun to be had. Do enjoy and keep sending in that feedback. You certainly won't be singing "I saw the sign" because THERE ARE NONE YET, hint hint...

#35 bob.blunderton, Jan 31, 2016
  16. simonfrat123

simonfrat123
    Expand Collapse

Looking good

17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, this is a first public version - I wanted to get the highway 'usable' and structurally complete 1st. Some of the intersections are just basic but the interchanges where they meet the highway (not so much the surface street end of it) are pretty much done. I might manage to get a cloverleaf in there somewhere yet - dunno. I see you have a youtube channel - if you want to put a vid of it up, high speed or crashes or anything in between, go ahead. There's a jump on the one end of the mile-long-tunnel that doesn't have an interchange btw, forgot to mention this! It's off to the right shoulder of the highway just before it goes slightly right to align for the bridge. You'll see it only if you look for it, it's just past the end of the wall by about 100ft. It's basically a pile of dirt with good sloping but you can hit it going fast enough once you're out of the tunnel at some serious speed.

18. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

There are some good ideas here. Can you please expound further on why you can't pack this
    as one zip and have it work from the mods folder?....and please, in two or three paragraphs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Can I make it clear I HATE multi part downloads....can someone please compress this down to one file for me please!!

@iheartmods please sort this 362 meg file out for us all so it wont be multipart again

#39 RobertGracie, Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  20. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Seriously.

Attached Files:

• Capture.PNG
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice