1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Terrible GPU utilisation?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by NoobieElf, Dec 31, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is kind known that running BeamNG from HDD is not going to be smooth experience, not even with raid I believe as it still is slow to access stuff.

SSAO has something odd in it with this version as it kind of causes odd lag spikes, sometimes, haven't got anywhere figuring out how or why that happens as it is bit random, but even if one has all needed computing power, sometimes that causes less smooth experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I see, well, some day you will learn more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

interesting
    i actually have been receiving weird lag spikes.
    guess i best turn my SSAO off and see if it goes away.
    also, my PC is measly in no way. so it couldn't be that.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is kinda weird though, sometimes for someone it helps, but then again I have seen personally issue only once or twice, so it is kinda hard to catch and figure out what gives, however worth to test without and see if anything changes, it's free after all, unlike shelving 2000 dollars for new rig and wondering why it still happens :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

exactly
    shelving 2000 for random lag spikes- i wish xd

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I did, only bit over 1000 for cpu and gpu xD

Difference at hard to run map was something like 15fps, at map which was most difficult to run, there was maybe 5fps difference, talk about disappointment.

Developers made much bigger difference with optimizations, not most people can run lot more maps fine that used to lag and they provided it for no cost, free update.

Accepting to run normal settings instead high and not using ssao or dynamic reflections and this game runs just fine with very modest hardware, especially if one is happy with 30fps, so it's kinda inside of head thing that makes want best possible performance, there are no actual reasons for that.

7. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

yeah
    i guess you are right. i can run all of the maps on Normal with about 5-6 cars and maintain 60FPS, and about 10/11 on gridmap.
    so it is kinda an 'in the head' situation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I'd recommend sticking with AM4, or at least waiting for CES ryzen 3000

also turning down graphical settings, ie dynamic reflections and turning shadows to parial (seriously cant tell the difference) allows my i5 4690k to run beam at 120fps on some maps, GPU limited on the complex ones. But gridmap works at 120fps.

9. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

He’s taking time out of his day to help you. Maybe getting off your high horse and actually listening might help you.

Honestly, you’re acting like a 5 year old. You created a thread for people to help you, and you reject what people say in order to prove your assumptions.

I’m not liking the way this thread is going. When people give you advice, let them help you instead of feeding back snarky remarks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I know I have to say fufsgfen is one of the most helpful and polite people on here. that was so uncalled for smh

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I did post here some suggestion of graphical settings to go along with system build that does not quite cost arm and leg:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/taki...nd-this-game-dont-mix-well.60092/#post-980491

Such settings allow even relatively weak CPU to handle graphics load of Italy while not looking totally horrible.

Huge demand starts to happen only when running maximum graphics with all reflections and ssao on, then one need fastest possible hardware, but something like Ryzen 5 1600X should perfectly fine handle game at 60fps at italy when lowering graphics settings at little.

What you other guys are about, I'm not entirely sure about, but I can only guess that not all human beings get along and it is better to just stay away from such in good and bad, it is mostly their loss, but it is also their choice to end up on the ban list. One can discuss in civilized manner or not, one faces always consequences of his choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NoobieElf

NoobieElf
    Expand Collapse

Oh my lord lol, I forgot about this thread. I have been quite entertained for the past 10 minutes reading through all of your guys tips, so thanks for that :) Unfortunately the issue still persists, but now I'm getting crashes to desktop every 10 minutes, and oftentimes when I run a vehicles over a certain speed my FPS tanks to something like 15 so who knows at this stage.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You might have some kind of hardware issue. If you run 3d mark few times in a row, does that makes issue happen too?

14. NoobieElf

NoobieElf
    Expand Collapse

No, I can play any other game no problem. It’s just BeamNG.

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG is probably only game that pushes hardware even near as hard as 3D mark combined test run, but BeamNG pushes hardware for longer. No other games are so hard on my hardware.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also there was one user who got really low framerates sometimes and Wallpaper engine was responsible of that.

16. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

ive actually had a few crashes to desktop after a short freeze in the game...My question, is with the ctrl+F FPS (small) menu, its FPS, Min, Max, I get that...what is WaitforGPU and MSPF (or msfp, etc) what do those 2 values indicate? Because my WaitforGPU is like 0 - 1 most times and the mpsf number is like 10 - 20.xxxxxx?

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Wait for GPU is exactly that, how long CPU has to wait for GPU. Without vsync and at full screen that shows if your GPU is a bottleneck, should be around 0.1 there. Number is higher in windowed mode and with vsync on.

mpsf is something no idea of. mean ps frame? Idk.

18. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem with my pc. Running my game(s) at higher resolutions seemed to help the problem. I get 30-40fps at 1080p, but my CPU is constantly bottlenecking my GPU at that point..

I have a I7-2600 overclocked to 4.2ghz/4.4ghz. Its a good CPU but I guess it isn't good enough for beam. My CPU usage is around 50% with one car, at 1080p.
    Raising to the resolution to 1440p or 4k helped lower my CPU usage, putting more load on the GPU which in my case raised my fps as my graphics card can handle 1440p/4k as I overclocked the crap out of it. (GTX 970)

You have a much more powerful GPU than me, so try creating a custom resolution and see if that helps your problem. It worked for me, and I'm still on DDR3, so I'd expect you would get better fps than me.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/9sng2 (My overclock)

#58 Sparks4, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  19. NoobieElf

NoobieElf
    Expand Collapse

I tried running Beam at 4k max settings and while I'm seeing slightly higher GPU usage, it still drops to a horrendously low 65-70% often, leaving me at around 60fps. So not quite sure what gives at this stage. upload_2019-1-17_20-49-34.png

20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Nothing, task manager is useless really, way too slow to pick up anything.

Make sure enable advanced functions is checked:
    upload_2019-1-17_10-32-37.png

Then click performance from left menu bar, that is icon with three vertical bars:
    upload_2019-1-17_10-33-5.png

Then make sure vsync is off, have a play with different graphics options and see how values change, CPU limited is often lot of red in CPU graph, that is Render it shows more data if you hover mouse over that graph:
    upload_2019-1-17_10-34-19.png

Like GPU limited is shown often with lot of yellow in CPU graph also if you press ctrl-f you can see wait for gpu going above 1:
    upload_2019-1-17_10-41-22.png

Italy for example is quite heavy for CPU with certain settings:
    upload_2019-1-17_10-46-9.png

Can't really make it GPU limited with my CPU at this location, but can make CPU and GPU work really hard :p
    upload_2019-1-17_10-51-11.png

Anyway it varies then lot depending view angle, part of map etc. Play with that performance graph tool and you can probably figure out a lot.

SSAO and dynamic reflections does increase CPU load too, not only GPU load, remember that CPU graphics and processing of data for GPU to render is limited by single core performance by design, Nadeox tells that it is to allow physics to use other cores.

So slower you single core is, less graphics eye candy you can have with strong GPU, makes sense? :D Well, that is how games do work, most have trouble to feed 1080 at higher frame rates, so staying locked to 60fps seems to work best and in BeamNG vsync gives smoothest gameplay as long as your CPU and GPU can keep up more than 60fps.

Now trouble then comes when CPU becomes bottleneck instead of vsync or GPU, that drops framerates lots more than anything else as GPU is so incredible fast, any pause for it drops FPS a lot and as CPU gets overloaded there is a pause for GPU.

So no matter how strong GPU you have, most games start to have CPU limit as fps climbs higher and most of games even if they use all cores like for example Just Cause 3, will be facing fps limit by single core at higher fps as there always is some tasks done per frame on single thread.

For example in BeamNG, LUA runs per frame, more frames, more LUA takes of that single core performance, which also graphics and UI runs at. Using LUA heavy car like ETK K-series also takes more of same pool.

Then you just have to balance everything out.

Here is then on thing, I have seen really weak results from 2700X and also I have seen really strong results from 2700X, I have no idea what gives.

Run banana bench on freshly rebooted system, then see how it compares to this 2700X result which I find oddly low:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/banana-benchmark-results-comparison.8595/page-46#post-977294

Instructions how to run banana bench are in first post of that thread.

Also you can compare results of 2700X I have here, which is one stock and one overclocked % realtime with collisions are values used, you can also see my i7-6700 in there which might give some idea with above screenshots of how your rig should perform:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/ultimate-amd-vs-intel-cpu-battle-has-graphs-and-awards.60389/

I wish to have my 8086k running next week when new MB arrives, so then, maybe then I can finally run Italy with max settings, but for now, I just keep SSAO off and dynamic reflections at 60-80m faces per update at minimum and don't use modern cars with lot of LUA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice