Terrain material parameters - What works for detail, macro, diffuse?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by geobeck, Oct 10, 2021.

1. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

One of my biggest freustrations in mapmaking is trying to create or customize terrain textures. Right now I'm using Utah terrains as my base, and I want to get rid of the overlay texture. But substituting in another overlay always seems to break the texture. So I have questions about the parameters used to create terrain textures:

• detailMap: What you see when you're up close. This always seems to work okay.
    • diffuseMap: What you see from far away. This is the one that usually breaks. Does the diffuseSize have to be related to the size of the texture file?
    • macoMap: What you see from the middle distance? Does the macroSize have to be related to the texture size?
    • normalMap: 3D impression of the texture. Does the normalMap texture have to be the same size as the detailMap texture?
    • detailDistance, macroDistance: The first has to be smaller than the second, but does it have to be a multiple, or is there a range that both should fit into?
    • detailStrength, macroStrength: How to these parameters relate to each other, and to the distance parameters?
    • groundmodelName: This isn't always there. What groundmodel is used if none is specified? If the alias of a groundmodel is used, I assume it's not case-sensitive? Are any parameters case sensitive, or is capitalization used just for visual consistency?
    • In some files, there are file extensions on the texture map references. Is it possible to leave these out entirely?

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice