1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Steering latency and how it's affected by FPS and map size.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slammington, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

So, I've been doing some experiments in BeamNG lately, with my Logitech G27. I found the game to have a good ammount of steering lag, but the ammount of lag itself varies under different conditions.
    For reference, I'm running a GeForce GTX 750ti and an Intel Core i3 4130 @ 3.40GHz.

To start off, there are a few things that affect performance and FPS: Car complexity (how many parts, etc. the car has), Graphics settings, foliage and object density in the map, and map size (the bigger the map, the longer it takes for the game to process things such as UI functions, inputs etc.)

With that said, there are two factors that affect steering latency with any computer setup: FPS and processing ability. What that means is, the lower the FPS, the more lag you will experience in your steering wheel vs the game wheel (the devs have said that steering lag is only affected below 20fps, because of the physics running slower, but I find it to be a linear relation between steering lag and FPS). And with bigger maps, generally there will be more latency in the steering because...well. I'm not sure about why map size affects steering latency even at 60fps, probably the same reason why the UI lags in bigger maps.

With my setup, a small map on minimum graphics settings will lead to an almost instant steering response, whereas a big map with minimum graphics settings will lag the steering a bit. A big map with high graphics settings will lead to around 200ms of steering lag with my PC. I have also found that travelling at higher speeds in the game increases the steering lag aswell.

In summary, steering latency is directly affected by FPS and processing power, and it seems there is no "lower limit" for steering latency built into the game, I would say with a super-computer and low settings there would be 0 steering lag (0ms response time).
    I also believe that this is the case for most games, such as Rfactor, LFS, and some others. LFS is the least taxing of all these games, so with my PC I experience no steering lag at all in it.

To make the steering as quick and responsive as possible, all I would have to do is get a better CPU/GPU no?

2. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Are you using USB 3.0 ports?

3. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I believe they are USB2, and so is the G27.

4. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Well, at 50 fps there is about 200ms of input lag (judging by eye) so do the math there, and it works out to 10 frames of lag (which is considerably high)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice