Specific scenario in N/B structures

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Hati, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I'm creating something, and I'll reveal that later. anyway, I have a bumper situated away from the engine bay and I have a node/beam structure loosely following my model's structure. The structure I'm simulating is painted black in the attached image, beams green and nodes red and labelled.

Now I found a way to make this setup rigid in 3D, so don't shout at me. Anyway, the beams in section B are defining the front of the engine bay, the radiator mount and such. Very much inspired by Gabester's way of doing things.

Now Gabester tends to simulate bumpers with a simple box coming out from the front, which is fine but it means that the section of mesh attached to B1 deforms for no reason in a crash so this setup avoids that, and the bumper will absorb most of the impact before the car receives any expensive damage. Its also capable of deforming in a lopsided way in angled crashes which I rather like.

Problem is the structure clips through the car in a way I don't like. now I want to make a beam ["A1","B1"], but it needs to let the nodes 'float' and offer no resistance at all to any kind of deformation. When sufficiently compressed I'd then want it to become as rigid as possible to simulate the collision between the radiator mount and the bumper. Is there any kind of beam that would do that? I'm looking at a bounded beam but I'm not sure about it. It tends to make things explode.

Attached Files:

• Bumper.png
    #1 Hati, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  2. 0xsergy

0xsergy
    Expand Collapse

Just use a bounded beam with an inlimit set for whenever you'd want it to become rigid and set the beamlimitspring or whatever it is to something fairly high relative to the soft beamspring value you'd want.

Also, I haven't had trouble with bounded beams exploding. You may have made the damp or spring too high..?

3. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Yes, sorry. christ. I'm new to this and I keep setting those values too high. anyway, thanks. I got it now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice