Solution for soft/dynamic terrain

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by warsenf, May 13, 2019.

1. warsenf

warsenf
    Expand Collapse

Ive seen some people asking for a terrain feature that makes the terrain act like in spintires mudrunner and I think I found a way to do this.
    Basically, its impossible to have real time deforming terrain as the vehicles would just fall through the ground and the resolution is way too low, but I can paint on the terrain while a car drives over it, so here is the idea:
    There are multiple terrain materials with their own groundmodels that transition between something more like dirt/grass and deep mud.
    Whenever a cars tires start to spin, the terrain under the tire will be painted with a material that has slightly less grip.
    This would basically bring the offroading physics as close to mudrunner as we can get and could make the game a lot more interesting when it comes to offroading, AWD and Diff Lock would also become more relevant.
    Problem is, I can't code and I got a lot of other stuff to do (vehicle and map models, texturing, detailing the map further, making the scenarios and stuff, polish), so it'd be cool if someone else would be interested in coding such a thing, which shouldnt be the hardest to do with the use of some shortcuts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice