Soldering DC port on Laptop

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by JDMClark, May 20, 2014.

1. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I recently bought a Asus G74SK-XT1 laptop for a steal.. The problems wrong with it was it needed a new DC power port on the motherboard. I've ordered one and its on the way I was just curious though if this will even be fixable. It's not as bad as some others I've seen online. But here it is. uploadfromtaptalk1400612723092.jpg

There is such a little amount of solder on this part I can imagine why it went in the first place. Looks like the ground on the port burnt out.. I have scrubbed it with a tooth brush that was dipped in 91% rubbing alcohol to clean it up. Do you guys think it's gonna be fixable? I hope so. This is a very awesome laptop and I want to use it :D

Sent through the stars by my Galaxy with a Note for you!

2. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if you screw something up on it. How much did you pay?

Lol, found this on asus's website
    Capture.JPG

heh. blow it out the rear.

3. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I have plenty of experience with working on computers I doubt I'll screw up something unless it was already bad lol. Just wanting to see if anyone with experience with replacing these could shed some knowledge.

4. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Pulling out a multi-pin part like that can be difficult. I'd see if you could get the port off the pins, then take the pins out one by one. Much easier than playing the game of heat-up-one-joint-and-pull-the-corner until it's all out.

5. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

It's on there relatively tough. My solder gun couldn't even melt the solder for some reason. I even had a desolder gun I bought just for this and it won't work either. I'm going to get a 60 Watt gun from RadioShack and try from there. There's practically zero solder on it.

Couldn't get it to come out. And my current gun is a baby 30watt I think the 60w should work.

Paid 200$ for it btw

#5 JDMClark, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I've never done a DC jack myself but my dad has taken off and soldered on a few DC jacks for me. (This was before I learned how to solder.) It's plenty doable.

7. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

be careful with that 60 watt. i have burned traces off boards with a radio shack 60 watt

8. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

My dad did the jacks on my laptops with a cheapo 30 watt Radio Shack iron that plugs directly into the wall..

9. Junky228

Junky228
    Expand Collapse

$200 to fix a $12(?) dollar problem? worth it!
    --try dremelling off the posts of the socket?

10. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

The 60 Watt doesn't want to work either I must be doing something wrong.. I had to buy a power cord for it and a hard drive. Total invested 300$ I bought a 1tb Seagate barracuda lol

11. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

$300? Must be an amazing laptop. I don't see why anyone would need more than 300-400GB in a laptop.. Mine has a 50GB SSD and a 250GB HDD. I even used it just fine before I got the adapter that allowed me to have the HDD in it. (So for months it had just 50GB of storage.)

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, if you're me and managed to fill up a 1tb hdd in the same year you got your computer, then that's why you'd need more than 300-400gb in a laptop, hehehehehehehe

(i plan on eventually buying a 4tb hdd to put all my games and gameplay/letsplay recordings on, then leaving my 1tb hdd for os and web browsers and such

13. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

How should I go at using a dremel? And the specs of the laptop:

I7-2630m
    12gb ddr3 ram
    Nvidia 560m
    17.3 1080p
    1tb Seagate

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Take a solid core heavy gauge wire, strip the rubber from it, place it across all the pins and heat it with a high wattage iron, simultaneously heats each pin allowing you to lift the part up

15. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I've tried doing similar things, but they never worked out well. Could just be my iron though.

16. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Heh. I've only used around 400GB of my 500GB HDD on my desktop. I like to keep it clean and I don't keep programs I don't use. (I don't do any video editing or anything like that. My dad does that stuff and because of that he needs several TBs of space.)

17. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

So I don't really want to try that wire idea and I don't own a dremel any ideas

18. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

stupid idea incoming

solder you new jack on top of the preexisting one(with wires) and put the jack somewhere else in the computer

19. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Nah I'm planning on selling it for around 650 when it's working good and buy a better laptop. I think I'm just going to have to shell out some money for a desolder pump

20. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

good luck! i hope you succeed cause im out of ideas

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice