velijansse
    Expand Collapse

velijansse submitted a new resource:

Seaside Roads - A lot to explore!

Read more about this resource...

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Large roads can be fixed by editing the main .mis file with a text editor like notepad++ and using the replace-function. Typical decal roads should be between 8~10 for main two lane roads, and 5~7 for small side roads/back roads that aren't striped.
    To LEVEL your roads, first build a mesh road out with a width of about 20*** (double to triple your road width - you can make this easier by setting your end sizes first and then making points in between*), then put the mesh road where you want your roadbed (the part of the terrain you want to build the decal road on) to be, and use the raise-and-lower to mesh tools on the terrain editor** (2nd and 3rd last ones) to carve the terrain to the mesh. Then use the smoother tool to go and smooth any goofy angles etc or otherwise uneven spots in the road. You can now move the mesh out of the way, SAVE and exit the editor back into play mode, and test out your road. Delete the mesh when done, or go into the F1 object editor mode and move it out of view for now if you still might be working on the area (and messing up the road accidentally) in the future. I hide my mesh road guides under the terrain until I am sure I am done in the area. It's super-time-saving to do so. You can always delete them later.

* Twisting the mesh into a confused pretzel and then trying to add nodes will result in them adding into the wrong section of road, and a lot of extra work on your part, take out erroneous curves/angles from the mesh 1st. Try to space nodes evenly, and use more nodes in and NEAR the corners, don't put short sections with curves next to long sections - stick a few extra nodes in. If they don't add in the nodes in the right spot, you've got it kinked somewhere so go fix that first.
    **Optionally, banking the mesh road before using the carve tools can make things easier building curved roads. Setting the break angle of the mesh road to like 0.1 or 0.3 or 0.5 can make the end result smoother.
    ***The reason you build it wider than the road, is you put your decal road in the center when done and then you're able to easily bank the edges of the road and smooth things etc, otherwise you have to be much more precise and this consumes much more time. Smooth the road surface using a tool the width of your decal road (not the width of the mesh road you carved with), then once your sure the surface is smooth then do the sides of the road.

I hope this helps - this is the way I've made my roads in Tennessee USA.

Oh, and as always, feel free to use some of my road/pavement textures in my maps.

3. velijansse

velijansse
    Expand Collapse

4. velijansse

velijansse
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me! That mesh road leveling trick is very helpful :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes it is very essential/helpful. I use this on almost every single road I make. On other games, it wouldn't matter so much due to the arcade-y feel and characteristics of OTHER games, but this is Beamng.drive. Every bump, lump, or other unwanted road events will be felt and WILL throw the car off-balance... so; much attention must be made to road quality - if not more than anything else in your map. After-all, it's a driving game.
    Don't over-smooth the dirt roads though - resist temptation!
    I am glad it can help you - Cheers.

6. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

This map looks great!

7. velijansse

velijansse
    Expand Collapse

8. PolishPetrolhead

PolishPetrolhead
    Expand Collapse

I experience severe performance issues on my high end PC. Is that maybe caused by the fact I have AMD graphics card? No, it's not about skidmarks that sometimes happen on mesh roads, lags hapen when I'm casually driving or even moving my camera. I'm running smooth 60 FPS even with 4 small - mid-sized cars on every other map. (specs in signature below)

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm running out of CPU power even with graphics set to lowest, I get high CPU usage on some other maps, but usually turning shadows off cures that, but there is nothing to turn off and I still get very high CPU usage. Not sure if there is some bug in BeamNG or what might be causing this, I can get 60fps most of the time, but certain view directions cause this one CPU core/thread to get very high usage and then fps drops. Sometimes on this map I get not so high CPU or GPU usage and fps are still quite low.

Could it be that something in map gets BeamNG to use very much of memory bandwidth, maybe there is something that done in a map causes some bug in BeamNG to wake up which then causes this high CPU load on single core? I like from the map though and it is only few places that I have noticed this slowdown so far.
    For me if I keep shadows off, between lowest and normal quality level there is only 2-3fps difference.
    Weirdest of thing is that if I disable vsync and fps limiter, I get over 100fps in screenshot situation, but with vsync and fps limiter enabled it is 57-60fps, from some reason it is not able to keep 60fps limited even it is able to get to 100fps.
    Drive back to starting location with normal graphic profile, was 60-110fps, but when at last hill near tower buildings I got few drops to 23fps and around 45fps next to buildings, looking towards houses, CPU load got to 90-100% in that one core. Would be great if there would be possibility to see what in map creates CPU load in BeamNG. Also I should note that during that test I had visual distance set to 1500 in order to see if that changes anything, but I did not see much change from that.

i7-6700
    GTX1050Ti
    16GB 2666Mhz ram

Perhaps next BeamNG update will change this.
    upload_2017-2-16_21-59-17.png

10. PolishPetrolhead

PolishPetrolhead
    Expand Collapse

How do you take a screenshot? If you go into in game photo mode the game pauses the physics which take a significant part of cpu usage. with paused physics the only thing the game has to render is 3d image, while with physics on (so basically normal gameplay) the game IN ADDITION to 3d image has to render beams and nodes, engine, brakes, grip, suspension and limitless list of many other things. You said
    . Hmm I have a suspicion that the map could be somehow forced to render on one core instead of many. I'm not expert in terms of beamNG coding stuff and so on, but what I'm sure of is that one core is not enough to run the game.

11. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

Many ways to take screenshot . And you can get rid of the photo mode pause by Pressing J .

12. PolishPetrolhead

PolishPetrolhead
    Expand Collapse

I use F12 from steam overlay

13. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

That's one of the other ways to take a screenshot , I sometimes use my Windows+G button which always me to record or to take a screenshot (Windows 10 only tho)

14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I doubt that photo mode screenshot can include task manager in it, I'm old fashioned and use print screen key so it is a live situation :)

There is activity on other cores too as you can see from task manager, but most things related to graphics is on that core which has highest usage in screenshot.

Physics are on other core, pressing J one can easily see which core runs physics as it decreases CPU load instantly when physics are paused. Also when one pauses physics, it can increase framerate AND GPU usage on some situations.

With this map BeamNG has most facinating fps fluctuations, map does stress GPU quite a lot so with my not the fastest GPU I have to reduce detail, but that is not quite enough to get rid of slowdowns, CPU, especially with shadows on, is struggling. I'm thinking it being something in a way BeamNG handles objects, shadows and such, I'm waiting new version of BeamNG with excitement as it probably has something different regarding this.

15. velijansse

velijansse
    Expand Collapse

16. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to make the asphalt track a little bit smoother?

17. mimifelix

mimifelix
    Expand Collapse

This mod is broken, don't download

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RobloxFan2

RobloxFan2
    Expand Collapse

its fucking almost 5 years old at this point

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. driftingmedic

driftingmedic
    Expand Collapse

Dont bump threads, the last post on this was 5 years ago

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice