WIP Beta released San Fierro Map (GTA San Andreas) v0.2

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Insane Mods, Feb 25, 2021.

1. $Reaper$

$Reaper$
    Expand Collapse

it will probaby bow up most peoples computors
    computers

2. kicars7

kicars7
    Expand Collapse

You aren't wrong, but it would be a bog though on lower end systems so maybe a reduced or very optimized version or integrate it into the map. Then that would be the holy grail of maps period.

3. $Reaper$

$Reaper$
    Expand Collapse

i would rate it as 3 out of 5 stars. I realize that it is a work in progress these are the thing i noticed need a lot of work first off the textures they are very low quality the vehicles are higher quality than the map. Next thing is that the terrain need smoothing there are areas that are too steep. Then areas that are flat and then get steep the terrain is too jagged too rough for low to the ground cars. There are a few other things but i don't think that they are big enough problems to mention.
    --- Post updated ---
    I have a higher end pc so i like being able to have more detailed maps

4. MrJavelin

MrJavelin
    Expand Collapse

It's a port of a map from an older game you dingus

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dayz Me Rollin'

Dayz Me Rollin'
    Expand Collapse

You are literally complaining about texture quality in a map ported from a game older than you.
    upload_2021-3-12_3-35-33.png

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Xupaun

Xupaun
    Expand Collapse

For me, there are some problems with this map, one of them is that some hills are so steep, that the bus gets stuck on it. Also, the "Lombard Street" has some clipping issue on the bottom and the tree tops are solid, so taller vehicles cannot go through it. Other problem is the fact that the rail crossings are all closed.

Apart from that, this is an awesome map. Can't wait to travel between cities on BeamNG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rtthvi66

rtthvi66
    Expand Collapse

Did you know that gta 1's san andreas was san francisco?

8. xXKvassmanXx

xXKvassmanXx
    Expand Collapse

I Had to play the story again since i got another new ps3

9. XTeeManX

XTeeManX
    Expand Collapse

Clearly you've never played GTA San Andreas because thats literally the point of the map and how it's made. Smoothing it out would just ruin the feel of the entire map. Smh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kicars7

kicars7
    Expand Collapse

It's either make a fully revamped version or the original, Driver had the same problem but it still acceptable since they weren't simulating what Beam is doing. So I find it annoying but I understand the sharp angles and inclines. The 3D era GTA had a slightly more cartoony feel and look.

11. $Reaper$

$Reaper$
    Expand Collapse

yet it can still be smoothed down and have better textures
    --- Post updated ---
    Well it is beamng 'drive' so when i cant go uphill with a low car like the sbr without damaging it kinda defeats the purpose of the drive aspect

#71 $Reaper$, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Hey, this will be awesome. I spent many hundreds if not thousands of hours in San Andreas since it came out in 2004/2005 or so. I even went back and replayed it again (until the flight missions that I can never do), so I could figure out what made the 'map flow' so great / awesome when I started my Los Injurus city map project. So seeing it here, in all it's low-poly sharp-angles-everywhere glory, warms the soul.
    It's one of the best games ever, if you want all honesty.
    For those who love San Andreas and cannot ever get enough of it, DO check out the 'GTA UNDERGROUND' mod which combines the first 3 '3D GTA' games (GTA III, VC, SA) all in one seamless map (with lots of ocean in between). It's not mission-based when I last checked, but if you love to just drive, it's definitely awesome. I think you can do gang wars, too.

To the OP / author of the conversion, keep FPS high by using LOD's where possible, and always keeping your DRAW CALLS (hit CTRL+F once or twice) below 4000~5000 with a vehicle on screen, or 3200 or so without a vehicle. Otherwise you will peg one of the CPU cores causing all other cores to wait until the screen is finished rendering, dropping FPS like a hot rock. Don't be ME, who has ignored draw calls when making Roane County as I didn't know much about them at the time (and this is why downtown Harriman spawn - the default - can get kind of slow in a few places). Los Injurus doesn't really hit 5000 with a vehicle except in one spot near the default spawn, but I think you can do one better with this map seeing the game is 16~17 years old already.
    Keep draw calls down by sewing all UV's together when modeling, including on the LOD's, keep LOD levels to maybe 2 or 3 at most (as like-LOD's of the same object and distance will batch-render speeding things up), duplicating UV's such as windows or doors when possible, and sometimes combining textures when you can.
    Doing AI pathing is usually not too difficult, especially if you stick a low resolution terrain just under the map out of view so that you can use decal roads to make AI paths VS time-consuming way points - of which you'd need many thousands! You can also use the 'over-objects' features of decal roads to allow traffic to drive over bridges, through tunnels, and on raised highways or other mesh objects. It's a bit of a pain to place these nodes with using over objects, but just get it right the first time (as they're hard to re-select in the air), and you won't have too much rage against the mapping machine.
    Please google what draw calls are and how it relates to FPS and map development if needed.
    --Good luck and great work as always!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Insane Mods

Insane Mods
    Expand Collapse

Hey! Thank bro, I will follow your recommendations!)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Velociround

Velociround
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely love that you’re doing this. It’s great! Keep it up, I hope you are able to make the complete San Andreas world on a single map. I think it’s possible, the map looks bigger than it is because of all of the roads you need to take to go anywhere. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very large map, and it will look even bigger on BeamNG because of the field of view (GTA games have very narrow FOV, less so on GTA IV and GTA V), it’s just not as big as it looks so I think it will fit on BeamNG.

I am definitely subscribed to you on YouTube! If you need any help feel free to get in touch with me. I’m not an experienced map maker but I’m a very experienced programmer so maybe I can help you with the map too. I’ve created a couple maps for Half-Life 2 with AI years ago.

Thank you very much for sharing your map

15. SouthernPacificfanboi

SouthernPacificfanboi
    Expand Collapse

Nice map, but its very laggy

16. MrJavelin

MrJavelin
    Expand Collapse

Well, it is a very large map.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SouthernPacificfanboi

SouthernPacificfanboi
    Expand Collapse

true, but I have Los Injurus and the Roane County map and they dont lag for me. I do realize this is a WIP, so I'm just providing feedback.

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

You can get lag on Roane County in downtown Harriman, I wasn't able to fully optimize there yet (other areas were thinned back a hair to help with the FPS bludgeoning going down).
    Maps in this game and other DX11 games (Fallout 4 downtown areas, MS Flight Sim 2020) can lag something-hardcore because of a limit put in place which is single-threaded draw calls. This is all the rendering, for all the textures on all the objects, which goes on behind the scenes. The CPU has to tell the GPU to render every last surface, on every last object, with every last texture (including what you see, and what you don't see as much of like specular and normal/bump maps, and even reflective textures which crank it up more such as car mirrors or high-rise windows). So eventually, with these open world games, we needed LOD's - levels of detail - to help keep the number of surfaces and detail of objects nice and low so that we don't murder Mr. CPU over there *points to misc black box on desk*. DX12 and Vulkan circumvent this single-threaded limitation of feeding draw calls through the CPU by enabling the developers to use multi-threaded rendering - feeding the open world's draw calls through MANY CPU cores (as many as the devs can reasonably use and wish to sync up which is not as easy as it may sound, multi-thread programming and synchronization is difficult) which frees up the CPU to allow the GPU to work. Otherwise, with a single thread running draw calls (like this DX11 game engine and the others I mentioned - which there are more of), you tend to drown one CPU core, while the rest of the cores are basically 'loafing' about, and the GPU isn't being fully utilized. You can spawn a million of the same object and you'll be fine - thanks to batching which lets the same model (AT THE SAME LOD PHASE) render simultaneously with very little additional overhead (like trees, phone polls, and chevron / arrow signs which you can never have enough of). But spawn a million different things and well, we all know too well what can happen there. It gets SLOW, because the CPU must finish all it's draw calls per frame, while the GPU and other CPU cores basically sit waiting, doing absolutely nothing.
    LOS INJURUS is basically built from the ground-up with draw calls in mind, Roane County was not. I didn't know about them well enough back then. If you don't understand draw calls, consider looking them up on the internet, such as youtube or wiki or DirectX SDK help, as they're the very basis of how graphics in DirectX work.
    One can best minimize draw calls by 'sewing' all the UV coordinates together, and duplicating surfaces for windows and doors (and any other features like railings or posts etc) when and where possible as those also batch-render, and by modeling smart (e.g. connecting faces out of sight to save on draw calls, as each new unconnected texture is a new draw call in addition to a new normal-map draw call and specular draw call). Using MOSAIC textures also helps. Try using texture atlas files / mosaics and also using textures to replace complicated geometry (like building edifices / decorative trims / 2d railings in-stead of 3d ), as in some cases it can seriously help the scene render better / faster at a very, very minimal impact to video memory used.

However, if you don't have a college education in game design or better, or haven't been doing it 20+ years, you might not know it all from the get-go (or have ample time to refine everything) so it might be a bit difficult to get it right from the start.

If this map does not run well by the time the modder has worked on it a while, knowing what I have said, I might be able to find some time (which I admittedly don't have much of, my yard's a jungle right now), and pull some models apart and see if I can't optimize it in some way. However, this isn't my ship to sail, it's not my bell to toll, nor will I be the last rat off the ship if it goes down - BUT I might be able to help keep it from sinking - and if I can, I will.

Plus, being that the game it's from is pretty much my absolute positive favorite in the series by long and far (gang wars! character building! rocket launchers! tanks! plenty of side missions!), I will gladly try to help where able.

Performance tips for maps with high draw calls (Roane County default spawn point, other spots are 50% better or more on FPS, other maps possibly though I won't name names)...
    Turn OFF reflections, this is a big one so it doesn't have to render what's behind you
    Turn off shadows or set to player only
    Turn off SSAO as on some video boards such as my very-very-old Radeon HD 7850 2gb helps by 10~12 FPS.
    Make SURE your texture detail is on medium or low depending on your video card unless you have an 8gb or better model. If you have an 8gb card and run Los Injurus, it might get slow near the large civilian airport (sorry, this will be looked into) on max texture detail, so if so, use medium. If you're playing along fine and suddenly you have 25~50% normal FPS and it's not Vsync going from exactly 60fps to 30fps due to Vsync being on, it could be that you have to flip texture detail down (and may need to reload the game).
    Vsync can be turned off in this game, you don't want to have it on while playing any realistic driving games, as since every second counts, with Vsync on, you'll have up to one frame of LAG every time you push a button while the GPU waits for the next monitor refresh to sync up. There is a big difference in this game with Vsync on or off unless you have a high-refresh rate monitor and can power through to it's high hz requirements (to which you can leave adaptive sync or G-sync on).
    Flip the resolution down a notch or two, just make sure to find something that works with your monitor so you're not left in the dark.
    Sometimes turning grass complexity / amount down can help on some maps, but not all maps have auto-generated billboard grass. However, if things slow down when you go super-fast and the game can't seem to keep up drawing grass, cut it down by half then give it a shot.
    You should leave MESH detail sliders at or near max, they don't help much unless you are trying to run this on a super-cheap laptop or netbook.

I hope this wall of text helped someone.
    EDIT: Holy @#$%! that is a big post.

• Like Like x 4
  19. nervous1301

nervous1301
    Expand Collapse

destroyed lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RandomFox

RandomFox
    Expand Collapse

Look forward to trying out this map thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice