Review of Beamng on my two laptops, or why choose quad-core and Nvidia.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Flex, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Flex

Flex
    Expand Collapse

I've been testing the performance of the two laptops I'm using for Beamng for a number of maps and situations.
    Hope this helps to see how Beamng behaves on various specs.

First one is the family laptop, a 3 year old or so Acer Aspire:

Windows 7 x64
    i7 2670QM second gen quad-core @2.2GHZ /boost 3.1GHZ
    Nvidia gt540m
    8GB ram,
    750GB HDD

This one was initally intended for rigs of rods, which needed a LOT of CPU power and a lower midrange graphics card. (midrange at the time)

Second one is my personal and quite new laptop, a Toshiba satellite S50 B 15F : I wanted it to be a step up the family laptop, but I was on a budget. This is also my work PC.

Windows 8.1 x64
    i7 5500u fourth gen dual core @2.4 /boost 2.9 GHZ -->less powerful but newer, supposedly as good (as rated by some internet benchmarks)
    Radeon R7 m260 --> cheap lower midrange DX11 card, should be a little better performing than the Nvidia (and far better with dx11)
    8GB ram
    256GB SSD --> The big step up, for better productivity as well as very short loadings in games.

Both are on good cooling mounts, I never have overheating problems.
    The SSD makes a really big difference, everything loads nearly instantly, even very big maps, I'm quite happy about it.

Now, about the CPU's.
    Here are both Banana Benchmarks (big thanks to whoever made this)

As you can see, both have good performance per core, but the quad core is far better, and it can handle several more vehicles, even if it is an older architecture. Quad core is always better, it seems.
    Also, the dual core seems ok as long as I don't use more than 2 vehicles. So, the CPU's should be both good enough.

So what about the GPU's ?

Firstly, another difference between the two is resolution : the acer is limited to 1366x768, but my new one has a very good well contrasted 1920x1080 screen. As you will see, this can make a HUGE difference.

To compare both GPU's fairly, I compared FPS for both computers running at 1366x768.
    I use two scenarios : first gavril D15 at Gridmap which is a fairly light map, second Ibushu 200BX at Hirochi raceway which is one of the most intensive maps for me.
    Graphics settings are : 1) everything low (not lowest, low), no postFX, no AA, 2) High, with AA, but no postfx

ACER FPS

GM D15 1) 45-55 2) 20-30 ; physics realtime

Hirochi 1) 15-17 (stable), nearly realtime 2) 10-12 (stable), very slow

As you can see, from low to high isn't a so big difference

Toshiba FPS
    Third setting here : 3) everything low at full 1080p resolution

GM D15 1) 35-40 2) steady 25 3) 20-25 ; physics realtime

Hirochi 1) 20 (stuttering), nearly realtime 2) about 12, slow 3) 10-15 (stuttering), unplayable

Everything looks a little bit better here, don't know why exactly.
    Also, seems to be a bit faster at the start, then the performance decreases a little bit.

So, the conclusions :

- CPU's don't seem to be bottlenecking, and are quite alright
    - Resolution increase is VERY bad, especially with vegetation. Lower resolution with AA is far better and almost as beautiful.
    - The difference between low and high with AA isn't so big as I thought

- The Radeon card is a bit better at High settings, and renders quite beautifully, but seems to stutter when it is intensively used.
    - Overall, gameplay with the gt540m seems a bit more fluid, and is more enjoyable (would it be because of the quad-core ?)

The Radeon card was supposedly better, but doesn't seem to really be with Beamng. Better use a Nvidia card.

- These two rigs can handle most maps made by the community at low/mid settings (a lot even at high), but 2 things seem to slow the game down a lot for me :
    Vegetation (LODs, bad with high resolution), and skidmarks (not as bad as they used to be, but still have a noticeable impact on FPS).

I know that has been said a lot, but Beamng seems to be a bit poorly optimized on the graphics side (CPU side is surprisingly good) compared to other games.
    I'm looking forward to DX11 support which could hopefully improve quite a bit my Radeons GPU's performance.
    Also, I don't know if openCL could help but I doubt it.
    And perhaps one day migrate from T3D ?

I would really appreciate to be able to race at sensible FPS on Hirochi raceway.

Feel free to comment about my crappy laptops.

Thanks to devs for that beautiful game, and hope this helps.

Also, sorry for that super-long post :p

Attached Files:

• I75500U.PNG
    • Bmng.PNG
    #1 Flex, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

The u mean ultra low voltage cpu For power comsumption and saving

The other 4 core is a workstation grade mobile cpu It build to work and have higher power comsumption. Like in gaming notebook

And for the gpu well amd is heard of having more problem with cpu bound scenario (overhead and stuff ) So maybe the gpu would work better with a better cpu.

Thank you for sharing :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice