1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Recording scrapes and grinds for impact audio system

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by sebaudio, Sep 27, 2018.

1. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Very nice! 6051164.png
    Also looks like a ton of fun to drag a bunch of concrete slabs, auto parts, and dirt into an office and make noises with them. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MilanKD

MilanKD
    Expand Collapse

Very nice job on getting intro details like this. Will the sounds be hooked up to certain sorts of parts (like the group exhaust), or seperately for all parts?

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Based on what I have read, I would make a guess they are going after node based sound emitting, so that when node touches something there would be a sound, but then again this is just my guess.

4. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Are you recording samples for plastic parts as well? It would be a nice touch as bumpers bottoming out is pretty common.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

I can't help but imagine the devs stomping on a Rubbermaid storage bin :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

But isn't that the reason why one becomes indie developer in first place, you get to do all the fun things like a kid once again, without anyone thinking it being anything odd? Well worth the challenges :D

7. Blood-PawWerewolf

Blood-PawWerewolf
    Expand Collapse

8. MilanKD

MilanKD
    Expand Collapse

I meant in the code, will the sounds be for seperate parts (eg. sunburst_exhaust_fartcan and sunburst_exhaust) or for the entire group "exhaust"

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think that NM_Metal, NM_Plastic etc. however probably with different samples possible, but I have no idea really, just thinking that such way they could cover variety of use cases without it needing to be specifically exhaust etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. sebaudio

sebaudio
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

What looks like clipping was just me zooming in quite a lot into the waveform for editing purposes. There is no clipping on the recordings of course, I made sure to have enough headroom available.

• Like Like x 6
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I was wondering why images open bit slower than usual, it appears that they are 6000 pixels wide, when I choose view image I can see even pixels in your monitor:
    upload_2018-10-4_17-26-40.png

Not sure if that was intended.

• Like Like x 4
  12. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Oh good, I was concerned the scrapes would sound noisy. XD

13. Jsap20

Jsap20
    Expand Collapse

You have got to have the coolest job I've ever seen... Making sounds looks so fun. Can't wait to hear all these in game. A suggestion, adding body creaking sounds for the interior when going over bumps, cars always seem to make the furnishing inside creak and make noises and it would make the interior more immersive.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. TheMohawkNinja

TheMohawkNinja
    Expand Collapse

Are there going to be visuals associated with this? (e.g. scratch marks on the side of your car when you brush a concrete wall)

• Like Like x 1
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

16. TheMohawkNinja

TheMohawkNinja
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, I wonder why that is. I would assume that implementing such a feature would either involve throwing one of a few randomly selected bitmap images of a randomly generated size and X/Y scale on the vehicle in the appropriate location and direction, OR you would just draw a bunch of lines to simulate paint damage (or mix both together).

I wonder what it is about the way the cars deform that makes such an effect hard to do.

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Devs don't cheat, so what they add would need to come from physics, they would not do it in way it is usually done in games, which makes implementing such much harder. That is at least my guess of why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DARGINEC

DARGINEC
    Expand Collapse

will the sound change in the absence of the muffler

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheMohawkNinja

TheMohawkNinja
    Expand Collapse

I'd be inclined to agree, however this is a merely visual thing that doesn't affect gameplay mechanics whether or not it's done "legitimately" or not. Think of it like the smoke from doing burnouts. There is no gameplay mechanic simulating the rubber being vaporized off the car due to friction, but we still see smoke come off the tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I seem to recall that it would require another layer of textures on every metal surface, which would require too much computing power, too much effort, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice