Realistic Engines.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by antil33t, Sep 12, 2013.

1. antil33t

antil33t
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I have been playing around with the engine files, and trying to make more "realistically" modified engines.. (not like shoving 1000hp into something and do mean skids) I wanted something more likely to happen... when someone builds a car for the road they don't just throw in 1k hp and do some mean skids.

I was also wondering if there was any point at all adding extra "resolution" if you will to the rev range?

this is what I've done so far, makes it relatively nice to drive.. a bit low on power down the low end.. but this is a performance N/A Engine.

Got the "figures" from here - from a real 400ci Small Block Chevrolet http://www.superchevy.com/technical...ial_high_performance_chevy_block/viewall.html

(imported from here)

Next I need to work on gear ratios, (although with the 4MT and 3.99 LSD it seems pretty spot on) and also learning a bit about suspension settings at the moment.

Let me know what might make things more interesting :)

2. skymiracle

skymiracle
    Expand Collapse

I do like the realism you're trying to add to the game with engine work and if possible could you mess with the gear box a bit as well?

3. atledreier

atledreier
    Expand Collapse

I can get you accurate numbers for engine and drivetrain for my car if you like. But there is really no car similar to it in Drive at the moment... :(

4. MercyFlush

MercyFlush
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure as to how effective it'd be adding in those extra nodes into the rpm vs torque graph is actually calculated by a Catmull-Rom spline which interpolates from the given nodes creating a smoothed curve. The smoothness of the curve is going to be the key here because as you enter more and more information the Catmull-Rom spline calculation is just going to smooth the values out in between your values (nodes). The issue isn't that you'll lose resolution rather that to get a truly accurate result you'd need an infinite amount of nodes. I'd say if you were to enter approximately 20 or so nodes you'd have the best of both worlds.

5. antil33t

antil33t
    Expand Collapse

Excellent, Just what I like to read :)

I've cut back to 19 nodes, the "hp" reading on the first debug screen use to fluctuate quite a bit, possibly reducing frame rate slightly. Now it sits a lot smoother. the in game curve hasn't changed at all, so all's well.

Have also added a transmission based on the GM TKO-500. Extremely Challenging to drive fast on-road.

and a slightly lower ratio LSD, Is there a page on the diff variables? Interested to know what some of them are, so I can tune them better.

Attached Files:

#5 antil33t, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice