Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - See new thread for Alpha 11 and above

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Oct 18, 2013.

?

How much interested in this would you be ?

1. Not interested

19 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Could be useful but not to me

49 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Would eventually use it

74 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Would probably use it

189 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I definitely need something like this

693 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.10: Showing how to "jbeam" the Flip Ramp from scratch

Hopefully I'll make a working loader for Collada files later. But for now I'll just stick with the built-in loaders.

2. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.10: Showing how to "jbeam" the Flip Ramp from scratch

I'm not sure if it's because I'm color blind, but the orange names for the nodes is really hard to read against the gray.

I really look forward to the updates of this thing, even now it's really good. It makes .jbeam stuff so much faster. Kind of wanted to give up before, too tedious

also it would be nice if I could change the name of the node after it's been placed. The names it generates are pretty big and get in the way sometimes.
    maybe there could be an option to hide the node names like the same way I can hide the 3d model?

#162 moosedks, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

The colors can be changed if you open the left panel with the little arrow in the circle. As for the node names you can also define a prefix in that same panel. I will eventually add a feature to modify the IDs (actually I had already thought about it) but it will require to update linked beams, triangles and everything. I'm not using actual object instances in beam or triangle objects to allow loading vehicles that might have links to missing nodes and things like that.
    Also you can go to the nodes tab and create a new one with the same positions (x, y, z) and delete the other one. It will automatically get the beam and triangle links inside the 3D editor. And should (I think) update the actual beam and triangle values for real too. Not the potential other objects linked to that node though.

4. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

is this where I'm supposed to change the color? I feel like i'm missing something obvious
    where doe.png

5. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Arg nope I meant in the 3D editor itself heh. Just to the right of the Top grid. It's just a ">" sign within an "O" sign :). Can't get you a pic right now I'm at work sorry.

6. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

oh my god this little menu was exactly what I wanted!

thanks for taking time away from work to tell me :)

7. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

nice, but screens are getting wider instead of higher, so i would personally prefer to have the header as minimal as possible :)

8. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

yeah I noticed that too. It's only about 60% of my screen I actually get to work with and there seems to be some free space above it.

I didn't want to scrutinize things too much though.

there needs to be a ctrl+z/edit undo too. I hate accidentally deleting a node and then having to place it again and make all the beams

#168 moosedks, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  9. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I thought about that in general as well... after making the custom application title bar which is the most space-wasting thing.
    In the 3D editor I will actually put everything back on a single bar when I'll have made icons for everything. Now it's just because I display text etc. The icons could then open a little sub-menu and that would make it perfect.
    As for the title bar well... ... ...maybe I'll change it some day lol. That "Parts" button-popup-menu still has no use and I'm not sure it will so. There will be changes still. Just give me your opinions. You can even make a schema of how you'd prefer it to be if you want :).

10. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

Wow, this is making my life so much easier!

Thanks for making this splendid tool!

Just one suggestion from me. Would it be possible to delete existing nodes, beams and triangles in the 3d editor rather than having to find the beam/node/triangle in the list?

Overall this tool is really useful, thank you very much!

Ben. :D

11. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

You can already and move them one by one as well. I made a recap of what you can do with the 3D editor on the previous page here. It is already outdated though but I'll put it on the main page eventually. It's just that the main page is getting huge already so...

To delete a node just hold left alt and click it. Note that it will delete all the linked beams. In the upcoming release it will also delete the linked triangles. To move a node hold left shift and drag it somewhere. All linked beams will be updated accordingly (not triangles yet though).

12. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

News about upcoming version Alpha 11
    Here are some screenshots about the next version.

NewsAlpha11_001.png
    Showing triangle picking & Grid transform. Grid can easily be transformed with mouse & aligned to a picked triangle on demand.

NewsAlpha11_003.png
    Showing triangle deletion by mouse picking & mouse controlled movable light source. Triangles can now correctly be removed by triangle picking. Simply click it with the mouse. As for the light source this will be included to better distinguish the different triangles now that the normals have been fixed.

NewsAlpha11_002.png
    Showing full update after some nodes were moved. The grid was snapped to a node to be moved. Then moving the node updated the linked beams & triangles.

NewsAlpha11_004.png NewsAlpha11_005.png
    Showing how the tool can now be set to take the maximum available size by clicking the green button at the top.

More to come together with these changes such as node manipulation and maybe triangle manipulation (automatically adapting its relative nodes). Apart from the 3D editor this version will also include some additional properties such as some used for planes that were not taken into account. And maybe a start on vehicle part copy from a vehicle to another.

Stay tuned ...

#172 GregBlast, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  13. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

More screenshots about Alpha 11
    I did some more work today and added a nice new feature to the 3D editor. I'll let you judge about it.

RTVE_Alpha11-RadialMenu.png
    This shows the radial menu that will pop-up on pressing spacebar. Sub-menus open on mouse over and actions are triggered on mouse click. The mouse deviced is captured by the menu so that you won't accidentally place nodes on your grid while using it. It closes on pressing the escape key or on clicking any menu item.

Other than that the grid moving functionality is now working fine but snapping is not yet correct all the time after it has been moved. Still gotta figure out some mistakes before I can release. Also I would like to include manipulators for nodes and simple actions like copy/paste/mirror. I will take my time for this update so that it's not just half-done features I release.

I'm not working as often as before mainly because of my work. But I will keep going and post news and screenshots if I can't release a new version.

14. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Looks like an interesting and really user friendly system :)

You're work is amazing, brilliant work :)

15. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. For the menu I actually used this and tweaked it a little to suit all my needs.

- - - Updated - - -

More screenshots about Alpha 11
    Ok well it seems that I have managed to do it tonight. Node manipulation with automatic beam / triangle links update is working fine. You can select multiple nodes by holding Left-Ctrl while using the node cursor and then you can use the manipulator to transform everything (in real-time, no more wait for another action to perform the transform).

RTVE_Alpha11-Transforms1.png RTVE_Alpha11-Transforms2.png
    Two pics of the flipramp after some transfomrations done using the manipulator.

16. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

awesome work, love the progress, do you sleep sometimes? ;)

17. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

That eventually happens... lol. Anyways I should release this "soon" but soon now means "as soon as it's ready to be".

18. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

With the manipulator in v11 will it be possible to move existing nodes? I couldn't figure out how to do it before.
    Also will the mirror function be released? That would be really usefull

19. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

- 1 - Yes, it is already fully functional. I just need to allow moving its pivot point eventually because sometimes the arrows or rotating circles are not visible (though you can simply hide triangles to see them).
    - 2 - I should be able to release that too. I haven't worked on it yet but will do.

I've also started working on a way to export jbeam contents into a "more readable" format. I'm not going to modify the json library so my best shot is to use regex post-compile. I've already been able to completely indent in a good enough format using some regex in Notepad++ but now I need to do it in C#. And that will take time to build the patterns correctly etc... So I don't think it will be in version 11 but it's on the way. Here's an example of what it would look like for the Civetta mirrors for example (it could still be tuned to look even better if needed):
    Code:
    {
    	"super_mirror_R":{
    		"information":{
    			"name":"Civetta Bolide Right Mirror","authors":"gabester"},
    		"slotType":"super_mirror_R",
    		"scalenodeWeight":1.1,
    		"scalebeamSpring":0.8,
    		"scalebeamDamp":0.86,
    		"scalebeamDeform":0.56,
    		"scalebeamStrength":0.89,
    		"selfCollisionThickness":0.02,
    		"remoteCollisionThickness":0.06,
    		"flexbodies":[
    			["mesh","[group]:","nonFlexMaterials"],
    			["super_mirror_R",["super_mirror_R"]]],
    		"nodes":[
    			["id","posX","posY","posZ"],
    			{"selfCollision":true,"collision":true,"nodeWeight":1.0,"frictionCoef":1.0,"nodeMaterial":"|NM_RUBBER","group":"super_mirror_R"},
    			["mi1r",-0.865,-0.41,0.91],
    			["mi2r",-1.025,-0.38,0.91],
    			["mi3r",-0.875,-0.41,0.81],
    			["mi4r",-1.025,-0.38,0.81],
    			["mi5r",-0.955,-0.51,0.86],
    			{"selfCollision":false},
    			["mi6r",-0.87,-0.445,0.75],
    			{"selfCollision":true,"collision":true,"group":""}],
    		"beams":[
    			["id1:","id2:"],
    			{"beamType":"|NORMAL","beamPrecompression":1.0,"beamLongBound":1.0,"beamShortBound":1.0,"beamSpring":1451000,"beamDamp":150,"beamDeform":18000,"beamStrength":88500},
    			["mi1r","mi2r"],
    			["mi1r","mi3r"],
    			["mi1r","mi4r"],
    			["mi1r","mi5r"],
    			["mi1r","mi6r"],
    			["mi2r","mi3r"],
    			["mi2r","mi4r"],
    			["mi2r","mi5r"],
    			["mi2r","mi6r"],
    			["mi3r","mi4r"],
    			["mi3r","mi5r"],
    			["mi3r","mi6r"],
    			["mi4r","mi5r"],
    			["mi4r","mi6r"],
    			["mi5r","mi6r"],
    			{"beamSpring":1151000,"beamDamp":200,"beamDeform":13600,"beamStrength":32000,"breakGroup":"super_mirror_R"},
    			["mi6r","d7r"],
    			["mi6r","d8r"],
    			["mi6r","d10r"],
    			["mi5r","d10r"],
    			["mi5r","d7r"],
    			["mi4r","d4r"],
    			["mi5r","d4r"],
    			["mi6r","d4r"],
    			{"beamSpring":751000,"beamDamp":200,"breakGroupType":1,"breakGroup":"super_mirror_R"},
    			["mi1r","d7r"],
    			["mi1r","d10r"],
    			["mi2r","d7r"],
    			["mi3r","d7r"],
    			["mi3r","d8r"],
    			{"breakGroup":"","breakGroupType":0,"beamType":"|NORMAL","beamLongBound":1.0,"beamSpring":651000,"beamDamp":0,"beamLimitSpring":651000,"beamLimitDamp":100,"beamDeform":2500,"beamStrength":200000,"beamPrecompression":1.0,"beamShortBound":1.0}],
    		"triangles":[
    			["id1:","id2:","id3:"],
    			{"group":"super_mirror_R"},
    			["mi2r","mi1r","mi3r"],
    			["mi2r","mi3r","mi4r"],
    			["mi1r","mi2r","mi5r"],
    			["mi2r","mi4r","mi5r"],
    			["mi4r","mi3r","mi5r"],
    			["mi3r","mi1r","mi5r"],
    			{"group":""}]},

"super_mirror_L":{
    		"information":{
    			"name":"Civetta Bolide Left Mirror","authors":"gabester"},
    		"slotType":"super_mirror_L",
    		"scalenodeWeight":1.1,
    		"scalebeamSpring":0.8,
    		"scalebeamDamp":0.86,
    		"scalebeamDeform":0.56,
    		"scalebeamStrength":0.89,
    		"selfCollisionThickness":0.02,
    		"remoteCollisionThickness":0.06,
    		"flexbodies":[
    			["mesh","[group]:","nonFlexMaterials"],
    			["super_mirror_L",["super_mirror_L"]]],
    		"nodes":[
    			["id","posX","posY","posZ"],
    			{"selfCollision":true,"collision":true,"nodeWeight":1.0,"frictionCoef":1.0,"nodeMaterial":"|NM_RUBBER","group":"super_mirror_L"},
    			["mi1l",0.865,-0.41,0.91],
    			["mi2l",1.025,-0.38,0.91],
    			["mi3l",0.875,-0.41,0.81],
    			["mi4l",1.025,-0.38,0.81],
    			["mi5l",0.955,-0.51,0.86],
    			{"selfCollision":false},
    			["mi6l",0.87,-0.445,0.75],
    			{"selfCollision":true,"collision":true,"group":""}],
    		"beams":[
    			["id1:","id2:"],
    			{"beamType":"|NORMAL","beamPrecompression":1.0,"beamLongBound":1.0,"beamShortBound":1.0,"beamSpring":1451000,"beamDamp":150,"beamDeform":18000,"beamStrength":88500},
    			["mi1l","mi2l"],
    			["mi1l","mi3l"],
    			["mi1l","mi4l"],
    			["mi1l","mi5l"],
    			["mi1l","mi6l"],
    			["mi2l","mi3l"],
    			["mi2l","mi4l"],
    			["mi2l","mi5l"],
    			["mi2l","mi6l"],
    			["mi3l","mi4l"],
    			["mi3l","mi5l"],
    			["mi3l","mi6l"],
    			["mi4l","mi5l"],
    			["mi4l","mi6l"],
    			["mi5l","mi6l"],
    			{"beamSpring":1151000,"beamDamp":200,"beamDeform":13600,"beamStrength":32000,"breakGroup":"super_mirror_L"},
    			["mi6l","d7l"],
    			["mi6l","d8l"],
    			["mi6l","d10l"],
    			["mi5l","d10l"],
    			["mi5l","d7l"],
    			["mi4l","d4l"],
    			["mi5l","d4l"],
    			["mi6l","d4l"],
    			{"beamSpring":751000,"beamDamp":200,"breakGroupType":1,"breakGroup":"super_mirror_L"},
    			["mi1l","d7l"],
    			["mi1l","d10l"],
    			["mi2l","d7l"],
    			["mi3l","d7l"],
    			["mi3l","d8l"],
    			{"breakGroup":"","breakGroupType":0,"beamType":"|NORMAL","beamLongBound":1.0,"beamSpring":651000,"beamDamp":0,"beamLimitSpring":651000,"beamLimitDamp":100,"beamDeform":2500,"beamStrength":200000,"beamPrecompression":1.0,"beamShortBound":1.0}],
    		"triangles":[
    			["id1:","id2:","id3:"],
    			{"group":"super_mirror_L"},
    			["mi1l","mi2l","mi3l"],
    			["mi3l","mi2l","mi4l"],
    			["mi2l","mi1l","mi5l"],
    			["mi4l","mi2l","mi5l"],
    			["mi3l","mi4l","mi5l"],
    			["mi1l","mi3l","mi5l"],
    			{"group":""}]}
    }

20. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Great job :D I know this will help me out immensely. When I first thought of importing a vehicle to the game I didn't know what I would do. Thanks to this, I know it will be more manageable. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice