Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - See new thread for Alpha 11 and above

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Oct 18, 2013.

?

How much interested in this would you be ?

1. Not interested

19 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Could be useful but not to me

49 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Would eventually use it

74 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Would probably use it

189 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I definitely need something like this

693 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Item with same key?

Please try duplicating the Grand Marshall with the tool and then replace what you need in the newly created folder. If you do like I show in my latest video you'll see it's very easy and it actually renames everything according to the new name you chose... keeping the files as they were except the JBeams in which each part is correctly renamed.

For example if you want to duplicate the Grand Marshall open the tool then select it in the vehicle menu and click "Open". Then open the vehicle menu again and just change the name and label. For example name it "fullsize_dupe" and "Gavril Grand Marshall - DUPE". Then click "Save". After that it will appear in the list. You can then open the dupe.

If you check your "vehicles" folder in the game directory you'll notice a "fullsize_dupe" folder has been created. And inside everything has been renamed like "fullsize_dupe.jbeam" or "fullsize_dupe_engine.jbeam" etc... And the "name.cs" file contains your "label" (vehicle display text). That could prevent such errors.

If you still have some errors after that then let me know and I'll investigate it further

- - - Updated - - -

Update alpha 0.0.0.7 - Jbeam 3D Editor update

A few but quite important changes in for the 3D editor in this version:

• added node names in 3D views (can be disabled on demand) !
    • added a possibility to prefix nodes (the number at the end will always be generated and unique, per vehicle part though)
    • fixed the annoying repetitive bug when checking the nodes / beams controls after deleting a node in the 3D editor

Node names:
    View attachment 15738

Node prefix:
    View attachment 15739 View attachment 15740

See first post for download or use this direct link.

#121 GregBlast, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.7: Node names & Prefix in 3D editor

controls for the 3d editor? i cant seem to figure out how to select nodes, or multiple nodes either, all i can figure out, is how to add new nodes

3. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

You haven't watched the video ;). You can't select multiple nodes currently sorry. You can only move one at a time (selecting has no purpose, hovering it with the mouse "selects" it) by holding left shift and using left mouse button. Please watch the video for everything else. It's better to have a video tutorial and it's there for a reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing about my editor is that I can find every mistake you make ;). Consider it a mistake or not but it's not gonna be correct for my tool. Your problem comes from the flexbodies of the front brakes and rear brakes. You cleared the flexbody mesh names I guess waiting to find what to use (or your brakes to be modeled). Remove them OR just use some random mesh name (but unique per flexbody) in the meantime instead of a blank value.

Here's what it looks like in your jbeam:
    EmptyFlexbodies.png
    (fullsize_suspension_F.jbeam and fullsize_suspension_R.jbeam)

I changed the random meaningless error message I had with some that gives you a straight direction on where to look. Will be in the next version. Will look like this:
    NewErrorMessage.png

#123 GregBlast, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

ehhh, personally i find text with picture tutorials easier to follow (provided its a bit in depth, and not just like, 5 words)

5. rmikebaker

rmikebaker
    Expand Collapse

van??

Thanks for this AWESOME tool !!! Just in time for me to start looking at building some jbeams for my current project :)

I'm planning to look at the official 'van' for reference on some items, but it won't load in the editor. I get the "key defined" message. Did a search of this thread, but didn't see any specific reference to it (with the van).

Am I overlooking something simple, or not implemented yet?

Thanks again for a great tool !!!

6. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: van??

Please include a screenshot if possible. I'll try the original van and see what I get.

7. rmikebaker

rmikebaker
    Expand Collapse

Here's the error...

Attached Files:

• van.png
  8. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

It's the same as what I replied in post #123. It's either some values left empty or duplicated (like there it was both, 2 empty mesh names in flexbodies). When I get home I'll tell you where the error is. Next release will provide more verbose error message as you can see from the screenshot I made.

9. rmikebaker

rmikebaker
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the quick response. I saw that post, but looked like they had done some manual manipulation (maybe?). I'm a programmer as well, and familiar with .NET/C#, so I kinda figured what the error meant, just wasn't sure where to start looking in the vehicle files. I'll poke around though, and see if I can find anything.

10. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the editor, Greg! It's very intuitive, even without watching the tutorial video I was able to create a simple cube in a few minutes. Granted it imploded the moment I loaded it into the game, but I'm pretty sure I left a value or two blank somewhere. Now I have to read up on good .jbeam techniques instead of studying for midterms. :p

11. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

It's because of some hubWheel info that I didn't take into account. I'll include them (inline properties).

AdditionalHubWheelInfo2.png

EDIT:
    Wait it's defined as a grouping property and also as a single prop. But that should work fine. I'll see why it doesn't accept it...

EDIT 2:
    Ok I was not saving properties in the correct manner when reading files. Editing was fine though. Here's the Van body after successful laod :).
    Van3D.png

Attached Files:

• AdditionalHubWheelInfo.png
    #131 GregBlast, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  12. rmikebaker

rmikebaker
    Expand Collapse

Great!!! Is the update ready yet :D

13. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.8: Critical update ! (errors & 3D editor)

Update alpha 0.0.0.8 - Critical update

Alright this update is essentially aimed at fixing problems with loading vehicles that may contain some little errors. It will now warn you about what was found that seemed not correct with a precise message on where it is located. Also those errors now don't block you. You can still open your vehicle even with errors.

The other important part of this update is about the 3D editor. You can now select colors & sizes for nodes & beams. But the biggest addition is the panel with all the vehicle parts. That panel allows you to select which parts you want to be visible. Yes you can now display multiple parts at once in the editor. And by the way colors are saved in config file so you get them back when you restart the tool.

Here's a full change list:

• more descriptive error messages
    • fixed vehicles not loading on errors
    • fixed element properties not loading correctly when co-existing as a grouping property and inline property
    • fixed maximizing views not working in 3D editor
    • fixed ref nodes that couldn't be loaded when belonging to another part than the selected one
    • added controls in 3D editor to change color and size of nodes/beams of different types
    • added vehicle parts panel in 3D editor to allow displaying multiple parts

And here's the most screenshot I got for this one:
    Editor3D_ColorsSizeParts.png

For download see first post or use this direct link.

- - - Updated - - -

For those reading there's still a little problem in the 3D editor in v0.0.0.8 when removing a node. If you don't release alt before the mouse it will select the next node and when releasing it will delete it as well. So release alt before releasing the mouse. I'll change that in the next release.
    Also deleted node names remain visible until you switch tab and come back. To be fixed as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a little screenshot for DrowsySam ;)
    Cessna3D.png

#133 GregBlast, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  14. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.8: Critical update ! (errors & 3D editor)

AHHHH! a 3d editor :D now its like modelling and i can hopefully make something!

15. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

News - Alpha 9 featuring triangle 3D edition

The next release is coming probably tomorrow with some (I hope) nice changes. Among them the ability to add and edit triangles in 3D in addition to nodes and beams.

Here's a sample screenshot of the Civetta Bolide's body with triangles rendered:
    Triangles3D.png

16. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

This editor is just amazing, thank you!

Could it be possible for you to make a video on starting a jbeam?

17. gmaksi83

gmaksi83
    Expand Collapse

Your editor is amazing, not easy to done this. RESPECT!!
    please donate....the work is not free

18. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Yes I planned on doing this soon. But it would be nice if someone could provide me with a simple 3D model in format .obj/.3ds/.lwo with correct scales (that matches the game scales and would eventually already have been seen in-game. That would let me take the opportunity to include the functionality to display a 3D model in the editor as well (which does not work with Collada yet).

Thanks a lot for your support :).

#138 GregBlast, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  19. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! I was actually going to ask if there was anyway to import the 3D model coming up in the next update. Hopefully someone finds this and helps you, I'm useless when it comes to coding.

20. BoaMan

BoaMan
    Expand Collapse

I just received this error after opening and closing the program.
    6ee1745da88ce283ea7cdb807dce12ed.png
    The only thing done in between was loading the vehicle into the actual engine.

What could have caused this?

If there is a better place to post this, please tell me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice