Rare Car Talk

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Kueso, Apr 25, 2019.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

And there's a problem with liking a vehicle that most overlook? It's not a war crime if he prefers this vehicle over what others would usually like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

I'm not hating on him for that, I'm just wondering why he likes it,

3. Youngtimer

Youngtimer
    Expand Collapse

My granddad owns a Florida, that car is first car I've ever driven, it's the peak of Yugoslav automotive industry. I don't know why it's strange to you that I like that car. Same with other Zastavas. I'm not overwhelmed with new Ferraris and Lambos. And also I'm from the city where they were produced for many years, so they are part of my city's history. And, I like history.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

tbh I'm a fan of some normal cars, Citroen DS, Renault Scenic, Ford Galaxie, and theth Volkswagon Golf syncro

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Renault Avantime (2001-2003):

What is it?

A large 3-door premium minivan, designed and manufactured by Matra and produced by Renault. It was supposed to be a more spacious alternative to traditional coupes.

Why is it rare?
    Unorthodox concept, combining the sporty idea of a coupe with the far less sporty minivan, Renault's lack of prestige.

How many were built?

Are they expensive?
    Between 2k and 12k euro, depending on mileage and condition. So, relatively pricey.

Where can you find them?
    Mainly France.

Have I ever seen one?
    Yes.

Are there any in my country?
    Yes.

On a scale of 1 to 5, how much do I want one?

Misc info:
    It is one of the few modern European hardtops, and even has a button that rolls down all the windows and opens the sunroof.

Its market failure led to Matra pulling out of the automotive market.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

2nd generation AMC Marlin (1967):

What is it?

American Motors' entry into the personal luxury segment, supposed to be a sportier alternative to the Ambassador DPL, with which it shared most of its structure.

Why is it rare?
    One-year production run, lack of buyer interest in non-purpose-designed personal luxury cars, lack of market penetration for AMC, a clash between AMC's "boring economy cars" image and the Marlin's sports-luxury design.

How many were built?

Are they expensive?
    From $2000 for the cheapest, most worn examples, to $25000 for concours-level cars - which is less than competitors like the Dodge Charger or Pontiac Grand Prix.

Where can you find them?
    Midwestern and Southeastern USA.

Have I ever seen one?
    No.

No.

4+.

Misc info:
    It was part of a campaign to make AMC's image more interesting and attractive to the general public. Other cars in the campaign were the AMX, Javelin, Ambassador DPL and SST.

• Like Like x 3
  7. superspeder55

superspeder55
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

the boaterhome

8. Calarist

Calarist
    Expand Collapse

Shelby CSX (1987-1988):

What is it?

This is basically just a Dodge Shadow that had the Dodge Omni GLH-S's engine, a Dodge Daytona Z's suspension, and an appearance package.

Why is it rare?
    It was built by Shelby, so it had limited production.

How many were built?

Are they expensive?
    They range from about $2,000 for daily-driven high mileage example to about $20,000 for a low mileage one in great condition

Where can I find them?
    Mainly in America, possibly in Canada

Have I ever seen one?
    No

Are they in my country?
    Yes

Misc info:
    The 1,500 models produced were split up between the 1987 and 1988 model years, with 750 being produced in each. All of those models were black with a gray two-tone and blue trim. Along with those models, there were 1,001 CSX-T models produced in 1988 with a white and gray two-tone and blue trim, a non-intercooled version of the regular CSX's engine, and they were all sold to Thrifty, a rental car company. There were also 500 1989 models called CSX-VNTs, but they had a revised engine, adopted the facelifted Shadow's new composite headlights, had different wheels, and only came in red.

• Like Like x 2
  9. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Oldsmobile Aurora (1995-1999)

What is it?

This was one of 90's GM's great triumphs or failures of styling, depending on who you ask. From an era where most of GM's offerings looked the same, the Aurora shattered the mold of cookie-cutter rebadges, perhaps even resembling a UFO in many respects. Its greatest strength - and its Achilles' heel - was the powertrain, a 4.0-liter Northstar-derived V8 driving the front wheels.

Why is it rare?

If I had to guess: head gaskets, head gaskets, head gaskets. The Aurora's engine was, of course, derived from the Northstar, making it prone to the same problem of the head bolts chewing through the threads. The repair would require removing the heads, drilling out the head bolt threads and fitting new ones, installing new head gaskets and so on, and at that point, we're easily talking more than the car is worth in repairs. So these are common sights in junkyards, and the ones that are still on the road - let alone in good condition - are few and far between.

How many were built?
    136,289 first-generation units between 1994 and 1999

Are they expensive?
    I've seen examples go as low as $1,500 and never above $3,000, but these are all 150,000+ miles and the heads are probably gone. I suspect a low-mileage model in excellent condition could command over $5,000.

Where can I find them?
    All over America

Have I ever seen one?
    Yes.

2. They look good, but if I want a cheap FWD V8 sedan, I'll get a W-body Impala SS. The Aurora looks better, though, and I wonder if I could switch out the Northshart for an LS4.

• Like Like x 1
  10. superspeder55

superspeder55
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

the nissan skyline r34 left side drive
    --- Post updated ---
    i love the boaterhome
    --- Post updated ---
    rare cars are the best cars

11. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

what

12. pixeaudi

pixeaudi
    Expand Collapse

What is it?
    Triumph TR8

Why is it rare?
    Its younger brother, the TR7 was hated as an ugly duckling of the TR series, plus low production numbers.

How much were built?
    About 3k

How much are still around?
    idk

Are they expensive?
    Yes

Where to find them?
    US and Canada, probably UK

Have I ever seen one?
    no

no

3, I kinda want the TR7 more

Misc Info:
    Quite intresting racing history, from group 4 to rallying

• Like Like x 3
  13. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

What is it?
    1948 Tucker 48 (Torpedo)

Why is it rare?
    Preston Tucker was falsely accused of fraud and they confiscated the Willow Run plant were he produced cars. The authorities did not give back the plant until Tucker was out of business (some say because of a corrupt sistem, manipulated by the big 3)

How much were built?
    1 prototype based on a 1942 oldsmobile (tin goose), 36 of regular production, 14 hand built by loyal workers and another one that was incomplete but sold in 80s and rebuilt

47 but it's hard to know

Are they expensive?
    very very very very much

Where to find them?
    US, there are some in south america

Have I ever seen one?
    yes, at a car museum and had the privilege to ride in one

i don't know, my guess is no

5, i love it

Misc Info:
    it had and elicopter engine, boxer 6 cylinder 5.5 liters 150hp, pre selector air operated cord 110 transmission, rubber suspension, safety dash, lap belts, center head light to illuminate the road on sharp turns.

Attached Files:

• 39881614513_c1530ba7a6_b.jpg
    • Tucker-48-Torpedo-1948-1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Tuberman

Tuberman
    Expand Collapse

zeror2.jpg zeror3.jpg
    Some footage and extra info

What is it?
    1993 Skyline HKS Zero-R

Why is it rare?
    Of the original ten that were made, just four are left standing, since the other six that HKS made were forced into complying with ISO standards which cost the tuning company quite a bit of money, leaving them no choice but to halt the production.

How much were built?

Are they expensive?
    Yes. Around 110,000 euros (124.879 american dollars).

Where to find them?
    1 in Brunei , other 3 in Japan.

Have I ever seen one?
    Nope.

Nope thats impossible.

Misc Info:
    The six others were left to rot in the HKS installations, you can see the vehicles through Google maps, the other 4 remaining vehicles were fully rebuilt and renovated with HKS's best parts in 2006, they replaced the original RB27 engines with an rare Nismo GT block used by the Skyline GT500 in JGTC which was bored to 2.8L with compression increased to 8,7:1, they added HKS's V-Cam and an gearbox from the GT-R R34, the 6 speed Getrag plus an Nismo Copper clutch and a final drive ratio of 3,9. The original models made around 450hp but the renovated models had 600hp.

Oh also, sorry for the bad english and thread bump.

(dont murder me pls)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice