WIP Railroad Switches

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Andrew 208, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Andrew 208

Andrew 208
    Expand Collapse

This is my first attempt to messing around with Blender with no real previous 3D modeling experience, and to kinda get a feel for what it takes to model I used 2 track pieces from the Roane County map (which i understand these tracks were pulled from Rigs of Rods?)

I used the 50 meter straight, and the 45 deg 75 meter curve, cut the curve down about half way and morphed it into the 50 meter straight, modified the rails to create the switch point on the end, and duplicated rails to build the frog (this is the center where the 2 rails cross) the guard rails (they are the rails on the inside edge near to the outside rails, they are used to hold the wheel from moving laterally when transitioning over the frog)

Ive tested it and everything seems to work fine, I have some texture issues which I honestly have no idea how to fix (still pretty new to this)

Now here is my question: Currently the switch point (this is at the beginning of the switch in real life they move left to right via a switch stand that a conductor throws or electronically) is a static object, there is no way to transition to the track on the curve unless of course i go into blender and modify the rails.

Is there a way I can possibly make them moveable, Like even if I were to just grab the switch point rails with the node grabber and move them left to right?

Any help would be appreciated, and any pointers as to where these tracks got imported to the game to, or who the creator is so I can release these without making anyone unhappy.

I also plan to build a 45 deg crossover, a 90 degree crossover, elevated curves (higer outside rail than the inside to help move center of gravity on curves),a track section that acts as a re railer to re rail cars and possibly a chute like a model railroad uses for ease of putting cars and locomotives on the rails.

Any feedback is appreciated!

20201122232943_1.jpg
    This is a detail shot of the switchpoint, which is what I would like to make movable with a node grabber at least or maybe by code

20201122231044_1.jpg
    This is an overhead view of the switch
    20201122231054_1.jpg
    Detail view of the frog and guard rail
    20201122231114_1.jpg
    Also a detail view of the frog and guard rail
    20201121010718_1.jpg
    90 deg crossover im working on

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice