1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Poor performance on gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by crashmaster, Jun 6, 2019.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

ive got a question about performance.
    Ive got an asus strix
    I7-7700hq 2.8ghz turbo at 3.3/3.6 ish
    16gb ram
    Nvidia Gtx 1050 4gb
    Windows running off of my m.2 ssd

In the past ive been able to play beam without issues. but it seems to me that over the past few months, ive been getting worse performance over time.
    I run everything at high without anti aliasing. on italy earlier i could barely play at 16 fps.
    i tried italy with everything at lowest and was able to get in the 40 fps. but why do i have a gtx 1050 if i cant even run the game at medium? i cant get tire smoke at lowest settings.

Is there a way to minimize the bullcrap services that windows uses for whatever freakin reason.
    It seems to me that ive got like 20 different windows service for xyz reasons, cortana language and input stuff, without counting some of the network related stuff that has nothing good.
    I dont even know if it has to do with this but windows just by itself uses about 25% of my cpu.
    Im not sure if its all about my gpu or if some windows services has something to do with poor performance.

Is there a run down version of windows available with only the minimal services required to run? i dont need all this crap running in the background all the time doing who knows what.

Im slowly about to lose patience and just switch to linux just to see if ive got somewhat better performance. which i know it wont. but ey ive got time to waste why not try for the lulz.

Ive got nothing running in the background in terms of user softwares. i close everything im capable of closing to keep the windows usage at a minimum.
    ive got a freaking gaming laptop for christ sake. why cant i even have stable fps.
    I run 14 cars on 13 fps yet i cant run italy with a single covet with 20fps?

I noticed waiting for gpu goes higher then 1.0, which means the gpu is my bottleneck right?
    Id like to know why my 5 year old laptop with a gtx 850 was working better then this crappy 1050.

Idk if beam has had performance decrease in the last few update cuz it seems to me as if ive got more lag spikes recently, more then before.

Ive even set the task priority of beam at its highest, making sure beam is the priority in terms of performance, before any other tasks.

I love beam but it pisses me off that ive got to run it at lowest settings to have an enjoyable gameplay. WITH A GAMING LAPTOP.......

2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Are you having these issues in any other games, or is it just BeamNG.drive?

3. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

ironically i only play beam..
    But for the rare times i do play other games, its rare they are as power hungry as beamng.
    I played mw3 this week and everything ran fine. Didnt notice anything annoying.
    In beam im in the low 20’s most of the time.
    I get lag spikes and i saw the “wait for gpu” counter go up to 17 once.
    Current settings while paused. 1080p screen 120hz. Never reaches anywhere close to 120.
    image.jpg
    Normal performance or is there really something going on with my laptop? :confused:

4. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

What are the thermals looking like on your CPU and GPU. It seems a lot like a thermals issue, but recent windows updates also seem to randomly ruin performance sometimes.

5. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Currently a bit high cuz ive been playing for a while. But even when i just opened my laptop and its cold it still has lag spikes. Takes no time to heat up too. But i play with a fan pad so its not as bad.
    image.jpg
    Honestly now that im thinking about it, after a long year of working i might have to check the fans to see if they are dirty. Havent done that yet. Ill have to check that tomorrow.

6. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Yeah you're thermal throttling, and your GPU probably isn't doing too well either. Dusting everything out with canned air would probably help.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

I can tell. I'm using Windows 10. Just the day before yesterday my game laggggged. I found that the windows update is running against my will. Simple enough, no one would let resourse-eating program to run when gaming. So I simply end the process and disable windows update. Only enable it when I have lots of time to spare.
    Interestingly, I had a laptop that running Windows 7 and I left the Update fully automatic, it never interfere my gaming.

8. Billsta_Yall

Billsta_Yall
    Expand Collapse

Just by looking at your settings, try disabling dynamic reflections, i had that on with my 1060 6gb and 8600k and noticed performance was terrible, so i disabled it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice