1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Pickup Crawler and Prerunner - The modular Multi-Tool of the Desert

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by ferrettank, Jun 22, 2020.

1. ZAPPLAPPLE

ZAPPLAPPLE
    Expand Collapse

So far I'm gonna give this new truck 3.5 out of 5 stars. 1. The light bar doesn't work. That bummed me out but maybe in the future. 2. You can't run a diesel engine in the crawler or Ultra4 version because the fuel cell. It has a little arrow option so they might be working on a diesel variant for the fuel cell. 3. Would have liked to see LED headlights instead of the standard ones that come on every D15. Those are really my only "complaints". Other than that its and amazing truck. I feel like the power and the way it launches from a dead stop is perfect compared to the real life trucks. That 3 speed transmission is awesome. The only bug I have ran into is sometimes the 6.9L engine will only rev out to 4000 rpm. Since its only happened a few times its not that big of a deal. I love that the solid axle crawler version has a standard four link with hydro steering and no pan hard bar. I think they should remove the pan hard bar on the hopper Ultra4. There really is no need for it since its already a four link. I see people saying the suspension is a little wonky but I feel like it is perfect for realism. In the future I would like to see LED headlights/lightbars, the black valence in the front just like the real life trucks instead of the tube bumper, diesel tank, maybe a double rear spare tire carrier with the option to run them vertical, horizontal, or stacked like on the Herbst trucks, a rear view mirror, and a siren. A siren because like on the real trucks they use them to tell trucks or anything in front of them to move out of the way or that they are behind them. Excellent update

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. racerwill86

racerwill86
    Expand Collapse

i think alt m turns on lights maybe ctrl tho

3. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

IIRC the lights are bound to whatever you have foglights bound to (alt n by default I think)

Double rear spare tires would be awesome, as well as more of these parts ending up on the factory truck + a more subtle wide body so we can have a score class 8 rig

Personally I wish we had the option to remove panhard bars on all vehicles in game. Part of what makes Beam special is the ability to do what other games don't allow, including make questionable suspension set ups

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Dawombat

Dawombat
    Expand Collapse

I think the devs are going for a more realistic suspension feel. In my opinion, they have delivered on that. Tuning the shocks in the tuning menu can allow big jumps and hard hits all you need to do is play around with the settings. Though I do agree that some adjustable bump stops would be nice.
    all we need now is a better map for this style of truck, something like johnson valley(where the king of the hammers is held) which has both crawling and high-speed desert.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

A new problem: The rear suspension bucks a lot, get shot upwards in big bumps and jumps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shelby 427

Shelby 427
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely love the prerunner parts, made a Pro4 truck using the prerunner as a base, but I will say the rear fender support is really on there, even slamming another truck into the fender it stays connected, I feel the rear fenders should come loose a smidge easier but other than that it's amazing

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ferrettank

ferrettank
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Awe thank you all for the kind words! I am super glad you all like it!!!!!! I love the community, I can't wait to make another vehicle for you all. Hopefully I can top this one :D.

Ah yeah, we had to redo the body UV maps because of huge optimizations. So it screwed up any textures made for the old D series.
    Unfortunately, I had to work on redoing the interior because of optimizations. I didn't want to hold back the truck any longer to finish the short frame. It would've been a lot of work. Maybe I can get to it in the future.
    I can talk to Corey about that, although the thing that is tough is finding one suspension setup that works for everything. The problem with BeamNG, the physics are so realistic, the suspension has to be tuned for each situation like in real life. The mint 500 suspension tune would be wayyy different, then the baja 1000 etc... Also the set up to have it float across the desert is way different then jumping. Even in real life, these trucks can't really handle big jumps unless they retuned the shocks for it. But I will still message him about it to see if any improvements can be made.

Oh yeah I love that luxury pre runner! I want one, I was actually looking at that when I was 3D modeling the D series.

Also yep! Although it's a weird buggy, so it's the lifted WRX as my avatar. It has an STI motor 300 WHP, Forester transmission, 29 inch tires, Forester struts with a 1 inch body lift, skid plates, 4 pot 2 pot brakes and a real working winch :D! I built it all myself, like welded it together, rebuilt the motor with forged internals etc... :D More recent pics are on my Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/jared.samuelson/

ah sweet thanks for the compliment, I will let them know about the diesel variant with the fuel cell and the the lightbar :D! Ah yeah, I would have to see if I have time to add more accessories to this truck or I need to work on a new one.
    Also for the Hopper crawler: in the front I need a pan hard bar because I can't triangulate the linkages due to the engine being in the way.

• Like Like x 15
  8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I can't even imagine what you could build to top this thing :p

Any thoughts on a 4 wheel steer system and/or a dig to lock the rear wheels on either the D-Series or Hopper? That crew cab crawler certainly wouldn't mind another tool to help out the turning radius on tight trails

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

Lol, i was asking trackpad about the buggy, already seen tons of pics of yours. Looks fun, nice addition to have it in game as the sunburst offroad.

10. JonFoster

JonFoster
    Expand Collapse

I'd absolutely love having a D10 prerunner and crawler! Great work otherwise! I'm having a blast with the custom Early D15 I built!

20201215221534_1.jpg

20201216002151_1.jpg

20201216002217_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

The setup seems mostly fine other than the two points I've mentioned (the bump stops especially). I know goosah knows what he's doing, but from my experience tuning dampers for desert racing is a huge rabbit hole to fall into, and unlike road stuff, the amount of information available is a lot more limited.

And no, I don't own a desert buggy or offroad racer. Closest I've done is Mini-baja SAE back in uni and mountain biking which follows similar principles (although with air shocks and single stage dampers). For the most part I'm just a mechanical engineer who really enjoys seeing long travel suspension work. :D

If you check the progression of suspension setups on my buggy, you'll also see that I learned quite a bit throughout the months trying to tune that thing correctly, and it's still not perfect.

I think it's pretty much already a legal class 8 truck. The main things that would need to be changed is removing the windshield and extending the exhaust so it's not right under the cabin.

And you can't just "remove the panhard bar", since on any live axle setup that uses one, the panhard bar is the only thing keeping the axle from moving laterally. The live axle suspension on the crawler and pre-runner don't need a panhard bar because they're using triangulated upper links for lateral rigidity.

12. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

A fellow mtb enthusiast
    OT: As said before, The body panels are getting caught up in the wheels, not allowing them to move. I dont know how to prevent this, but it does get annoying. Maybe make the body pannels easier to break off?

13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I meant a contemporary class 8 truck, though I guess that would still be closer to what we have than what's in my head. I'm really just asking for something a bit less extreme but still off road race worthy. Something that is to the prerunner what the pig is to the superpig.
    upload_2020-12-18_11-22-41.jpeg

As for the panhard bar... That is indeed the entire reason I want to remove the panhard bar. Beam is great for letting you do silly things that you can't in other games and making cars with stupid suspension set ups is great fun

#313 ManfredE3, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

the 4000 rpm is a new feature, its two step. Gas and brake in any car limit the revs to 4000 rpm.

15. urbanestdog45

urbanestdog45
    Expand Collapse

Can we get some extra attachments to the roof lights like light covers or cages like how it is on the normal lights?

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Dawombat

Dawombat
    Expand Collapse

yes, I have found that is a problem. they need to add more clearance to the bonnet and fenders, but until then I'm just running mine without any front body work.

17. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

At least on the IFS, due to the motion ratio there, the pressure needed is a lot higher which works against the rebound damping to extend the bumpstop, as a result it seems to return quite fast. I'm not sure in real life how high the damping rate can really get but the pressure is on the upper limit. I've only seen video of bump stops acting with 1:1 motion ratio on the axles. If you have some YouTube clip of the bump stop acting on the front wishbone in slow motion or something I'd like to see it :) I'll try to increase the bump stop damping some more. Or maybe its more that I have to reduce the pressure than increase the damping.

Good point about the tire pressure too, it should be higher, and that might necessitate some changes to the shock tuning.

18. urbanestdog45

urbanestdog45
    Expand Collapse

I don’t know why, but when I was playing with the prerunner variant but slightly modified (4wd, 1000hp) on baharama, it just ejects the headlights for some reason.
    (edit)
    Also, on Ghost’s desert, the default prerunner feels like it’s running on ice, and switching to crawler tyres doesn’t help much either.
    (edit, again)
    Is the fuel cell 95 or 100l because you can’t make the fuel cell full on the D-series because the slider only goes up to 90L

#318 urbanestdog45, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  19. Dawombat

Dawombat
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed that when you are hard into the throttle the rear suspension is sagged sufficiently to be almost touching the bump stops, when you hit a bump under full acceleration, this results in the rear suspension bottoming out and creating the "kickyness" (as someone pointed out earlier). I have watched many videos on Bryce Menzies youtube channel and (i know its a trophy truck, not a Prerunner but oh well), and the ride height even when under hard acceleration is far enough away from the bump stops so when you hit a large-ish bump under full squat the rear suspension still has room to move upwards into its travel. I know that it is hard to change the physical suspension at this point (you would also have to change the rear subframe to have more clearance) but since there is bucket loads more room in the rear fenders I would say the truck would benefit greatly from MORE UP TRAVEL.

20. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

D Series Bigfoot Monstertruck :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice