Overdrive and Lockup?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by jtreign9097, Jan 7, 2016.

1. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

Actual Lock up/OD to kick in when we let off the gas instead of going to a higher gear simulating that partially as what we have now.. ..but being able to switch o/d on and off with a dash light that comes on "O/D" or Select (D) And Regular D on the shift column like older vehicle before overdrive had a button to disable... and then like real overdrive. it would disengage lockup when brake was engaged normally so there wouldn't be a stall at stops. basically a torque converter clutch Sensor (TCC) most late 80's into the 90's chevys fords and dodges had this type of setup on fwd/rwd cars. but a simple realistic overdrive would be interesting... a 3spd with o/d or just a 3spd high revving at 65mph like the good old days before o/d.. and true lock up is must I'm not sure how this would work correctly with the existing gears in the transmission it would probably have its own ratio and line under the gears ratios line or a separate jbeam file like ESC?. it would need its own lua file i would assume so it can be universal with an existing transmission that had flags set true for overdrive?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

I always wanted to see a "realistic" simulation of OD/TC lock up get implemented beam, its a vital part of automatic transmission simulation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

Settings like this would be Nice in the Transmissions settings

"OverdriveRatio": 0.667
    "Lockup": enabled "
    "TccDelay": 0.10 (Delay time at a steady speed for lockup)
    "TccMinSpeed": 30 (Effective speed Tcc can engage)
    "TccMinTorque": 150 (Minimum torque needed to maintain steady lockup or engine will bog down/stall)

the way dual clutch transmissions are scripted tells me its possible in game to make it work. I'm experimenting it and also the way cvt's change ratio could be used for a form of overdrive but only the ratio changing part to just one fixed ratio which would be instant overdrive kicking in with minimum speeds and torque clutch settings and then the delays and lockup. and then the transition to overdrive to be smooth so to there isn't any sharp jerking into final drive

4. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

interesting, keep us updated.

5. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Agree fully. The autos in game based off of torque converter setups are much more like automated manuals besides the pretty good simulation of the stator/crawl gear. There is not enough slip that occurs and it seems like the torque converter is always locked all the time.

6. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

the converter is locked for most part except in arcade/realistic mode at idle it wont allow it to bog out so a lockup setting for different throttle positions is what I'm messing with right now to see if its possible to make overdrive work or at least mess with clutch torque sensitivity at different throttle positions to allow slip during driving and lockup during steady speed at 25-40% throttle

• Like Like x 1
  7. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! I look forward to your results.

8. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I've been doing my own messing about and found that lowering the viscous coupling adds the realistic amount of slip from the torque converter. What's more is that power loss even seems to occur! It's so funny that we want this, the transmissions as they stand by default ship very efficient and quick versus in real life, most torque converter autos are slippy, slushy, and slow.

The only thing missing, as we're trying to figure out, is overdrive. It's realistic that the converter be slipping during the first three gears but I don't know how to get it to lock up in say 4th or top gear. I hope you have better luck.

9. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

Well i may have found the holy grail to locking and individual gear...
    i have been testing with the viscous coupling too and all cars should have less VC since real lockup was never introduced into the game as of yet. before overdrive was a thing mainstream thing cars didn't lock anyway. so my concept which is not really ready its glitchy as the moment but almost stable... being able to change the viscous coupling per gear is what im after right now.. Example

"clutchDuration":0.10
    "viscousCoupling":2.5
    "FinalDriveCoupling":12.0 (will apply to 2 of the last gears only for lock up) i know lockup works on my ford van in 2nd gear at 25mph
    "ThottleLock": 35 ( Throttle percentage to enable lockup )
    "ThrottleUnlock": 65 (Throttle percentage to disable lockup )
    "enableLocking":true
    And disabling lockup o/d will be a button mapped to the keyboard and button of choice since it will be its own jbeam much like how "esc"

i got some little time ahead as i work during most days . weekend i have done a lot... no progress or pics until there is positive results ...if anyone wants to join in we can come up with something awesome f anyone here is good at lua and knows there way into a jbeam file
    i know eventually this post will be moved to the mods section since it seems it will evolve to a mod but it has not yet

• Like Like x 1
  10. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

That sounds excellent! I'd say I know my way around a .jbeam pretty well (besides understanding nodes/beams) but you probably only need to look where we're already looking (at the transmissions area).

As an idea, I'd say a UI app for the overdrive control would be cool. I hate to conceptualize when I can't code it or make it myself but that would be cool; even so, custom UI apps are broken at the moment.

The ThrottleLock is a neat concept. To note, TC lockup on 3 of my vehicles here at home all with 4 speed autos lock-up at 36-40 MPH when they hit 4th gear. None of them lock at any lower speed; strange your Ford van does.

11. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

note that with the torque converter when its slipping its magnifying torque, lowering the viscous coupling just slips it, would love to have TC simulation but remember that they have advanced quite a bit, so the newer cars that have TCs (200bx, pessima) will have lock up but the old transmissions (burnside) wont, newer TC transmissions can lock up in lower gears i think as my dads jag XF diesel V6 at low speed it has a lot of grunt and its locked up even at ~20mph (you can feel the diesel locked up) (its an 8spd TC transmission BTW)

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The game doesnt have torque converters at all. The automatics, they just run the clutch as if you were driving in arcade auto on a manual.

13. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Well yes, this is true. However, you can modify the automatic transmissions to simulate one. I've made a few I'm happy with just without an overdrive lock-up, which is what we're trying to figure how to "fake" if you will.

14. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

Yes and there ok if you don't have ocd lol.... i wanna simulate an either a standalone jbeam with lua or addon possible commands for the transmission if they exist within the source so i can add different clutch lock timing and delay

15. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

Ill make a vid of it my van locking up in 2nd and then ill turn off overdrive to show u it actually does...btw my van is geared low factory 3.55 lsd
    with the ford 4RW70 bolted to a Triton 4.6 2v 255hp 295tq. i could be wrong but i swear it annoys me when it feels like overdrive kicked in if I'm steady cruising in 2nd and then i let off the gas...it could be entering 3rd but that would bog it down so maybe its overdrive ill turn it off for a test.. i will base the overdrive setup on my van for use with All Beam vehicles that use the 4.5... my van has 307,000 miles though lol but it runs like it did in 1999 lol just with an exhaust leak at manifold and 4 deleted bypassed cat converters

16. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Not that I don't believe you just noting my experience is all :) . If you notice that at 25 mph, you let off the gas and your revs drop down to almost idle or if you go to accelerate and your revs jump from say 2k to 2.4/5 k, then the TC isn't locked.

17. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

well i did mess with it today out of curiosity lockup is mostly active after 35 or a steady 40 if i dpnt have the hammer down... heres a vid of 0-60 so no overdrive shown here just my tools flying around

But u can see how hard 2nd gear hits lol shes old 307k but is smooth as silk when i don't weld the gas down

• Like Like x 2
  18. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Pulls pretty hard for a van with 307k on it. I dig it.

19. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Nice! It would be cool to start a 0-60 thread!

• Like Like x 1
  20. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

lol your van moves.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice