1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Other paid vehicle mods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Driver2210, May 1, 2022.

1. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

exactly, it would not make sense for the BeamNG development team to simply stop updating a certain vehicle since they don't want to maintain it or feel it is too difficult, so a paid mod shouldnt be entirely different

and while im not here to stir up drama the idea of the picnic being advertised as a repo mod and then last minute becoming paid only just sort of rubs me the wrong way, im not saying LBE is just trying to make fast cash off of a bunch of hype from the mod, maybe they need the money now more than they did a few months ago, we cant simply judge them for their actions solely in our own context

with that being said it is a super scummy business tactic and I sincerely hope it had some good reason behind it besides simply deciding that was what was going to happen, as much as it is the modders choice to make the mod paid or not, drumming up hype for a repo and switching it last minute to paid with zero heads up is the kind of thing that tends to create drama and can end up isolating modders, which I personally hope does not happen to LBE, because they do deserve alot of credit for their effort in their mods, and are fully deserving of donations and payment for mods, but in the manner it was done is just not the best for anyone really

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Blue Bird Gaming

Blue Bird Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I should rephrase that, I mean if it’s at least close to dev quality then it’s okay if they wanna charge for it, as long as they also meet the other stipulations I brought up

3. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

the thing with microsoft office is your computer's operating system doesnt change nearly as much as BeamNG, we are talking about changing the way drivetrains, brakes, aerodynamics and virtually everything about how the vehicles work with single updates, if you paid for a mod and a month later an update comes out and breaks it, and the mod is not updated, your loss?

microsoft office 2007 still works for me on my Dell Latitude laptop, and i still use it over the newer version because of that, just because it is a single payment doesnt mean it should immediately be discarded

then again a self life can be expected for a single payment, but at least a year, not an update cycle

• Like Like x 1
  4. JowoHD

JowoHD
    Expand Collapse

uhh idk where youve got your info from but the raven was a one time donation thing too. i paid like, a quid, and im happy because it's one of my favourite driving cars in the game and i wanted more options

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

monthly paid mods are BS since BeamNG is one-time paid and constantly updating.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Blood-PawWerewolf

Blood-PawWerewolf
    Expand Collapse

yet look at other simulation games, American Truck Simulator, ETS2 and many flight simulators also have paid mods (some are more expensive than others), but unless it’s against the game’s TOS for putting mods behind a permanent paywall (like The Sims 4), then anyone can do whatever they want to do to distribute their mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Did you misread the word "monthly" into "mostly"?

8. AestheticalDX

AestheticalDX
    Expand Collapse

This is also my opinion, in most modding communities, not many mods are paid, and Patreons exist y'know.
    While I do know i am gonna get hate from this, but Lucas shouldn't have said they were gonna release it soon to the repo, which he did, we wouldn't have that much of an argument if he said from the get-go that it was paid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blood-PawWerewolf

Blood-PawWerewolf
    Expand Collapse

No, i read it as monthly. I was just talking about paid mods in simulation games in general (subscription based and/or one-time payments)

10. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me started on flight simulators where most mods are more expensive than the game itself, and as expected, most of them have poor quality. However, you can download them at third-party websites lol
    Keep making people pay monthly for a one-time made mod is as greedy as, if not greedier than, micro-transactions.
    --- Post updated ---
    Are they(who demand monthly payment to let us merely keep the mod) going to invade my computer and delete the file remotely? That's malicious hacking

#30 default0.0player, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't even be surprised

12. Blood-PawWerewolf

Blood-PawWerewolf
    Expand Collapse

oh, you just need to know who’s known for quality products and who’s not when it comes to flight simulator mods.

13. 2020CorollaXSE__

2020CorollaXSE__
    Expand Collapse

Agreed

14. Nazu

Nazu
    Expand Collapse

this thread went offtopic so fast its not even funny

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DOUGL4S1

DOUGL4S1
    Expand Collapse

Well...

• Like Like x 1
  16. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

Oh hell naw

17. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Spending $139.95 to get a malware, what could possibly go wrong?/s

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blue Bird Gaming

Blue Bird Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I never thought about that when I wrote it but the fact that that is actually possible is straight up scary

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

You know you can cancel the subscription after downloading the mod?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

While I don't agree with every point you have made here, I do see where you are coming from in general.
    Without being 100 percent certain, it sounds like you are overreacting a little though..
    "... Patreon mods that are everywhere, your paying 15 dollars a month,"
    I hope to God that there is not any Patreons where the minimum is 15 dollars a month to get access to the mods? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
    But eitherway, going as far to say 180 dollars anually is a little misleading. In theory you can just pay for 1 month, download the mods and then unsubscribe.

"To everyone saying stuff like 'get a job' or 'its their choice' its also mine and other peoples choice to either disagree or agree with that practice."
    I don't think anyone said you can't have that point of view, even though I have a very hard time figuring out why you guys care so much about what other people spend their money on. I probably spend more on my car than the guy next door, but that's because that makes me happy.
    But of course you are free to think what you want, it would be boring if we thought the same :)

I agree, paid mods should meet a different standard than free mods. I don't think they should be at least dev quality or better, I would never expect that and that's unrealistic.
    It would be the same if you bought a painting from something doing it as a hobby (You can still sell stuff made as a hobby, doesn't mean you're a full blown business.) The painting might not be as artistically correct as a painting from a professional, that's just something you accept.

Now, opinions aside and what not..
    I do see actual problems with specifically Lucas paid mod, and I think people have not thought everything through before pressing the buy button. We have to be critical, no matter who we are dealing with.

Nowhere does Lucas actually state the amount of support you get after buying the mod. In theory for all we know, the next update could break something in the mod requiring the mod to be updated. In this case, Lucas would have no legal responsibility to actually update the mod. For a paid ATS/ETS2 mod, this usually would not matter too much. However, with what often changes in BeamNG updates and how often, this suddenly matters a whole lot.
    In other words, you are purchasing a product that you do not know will work tomorrow.

Second, the actual thread and purchase site is very limited in information about the mod, and cut very short. I have seen way more detailed threads with free mods such as features, future plans, video showcase (especially crash physics!) etc. I think the Ford Focus thread is a good example of how it should be done. Or the Land Rover Defender for that matter.
    This is something I normally appreciate mod threads, but this should be a minimum when you are making a mod paid.

Third, the price is not right when you are not guaranteed how long time the mod will be supported. 4 eur (sometimes more,) is what a car add-on DLC would cost for other games. Difference is that you know it will continue to work, here you don't. So unless you provide guarantee for support, it should be a very different price. (I know other games don't have to deal with Jbeam but I still stand by my point.)

Forth, I did not actually know that the mod was ment to be released to repo to begin with? It's a little fishy to do it like that in that case. Circumstances can change though, but considering it isn't his first paid mod then one might think it was planned like that all the way.

This became longer than expected but in short, paid mods are fine by me when done correctly :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice