Solved Normal maps, how do they work?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Djplopper, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

The title is pretty explainatory, i have many ideas for normal maps but i couldn't find out how to get them to work

2. Aleferna_dls

Aleferna_dls
    Expand Collapse

I think there was a tutorial to do them... It uses the Game editor, but the system to do them in another program and export them is more or less the same (I thinko_O) I used this tutorial to do a tatty map using gridmap as base, and it worked, but deleted it because it was too simple and small (Just some buildings, terrain variatiopns and jumps) Here it is:

Hope it work (Of course it will do, you´re a "crack" xD (I don´t know if there´s traduction in english in this contxt, so I explain: It means you´re really good in something)
    Cheers Mate ;)

3. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Uh m8 thats not a normal map. Unless he isnt talking about cars? Normal maps are part of the car creation process. Or im misreading that. Either way ill put in my 2 cents

if you are talking about normal maps, gimp with the normal map editor i heard is good. i have created normal maps from scratch with it. just make a gray scale image and it can convert it to the normal map.(i think thats how it works, been a while since i did that)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

I intended normal maps for cars, i suppose i have to download gimp :D or Paint.net has same functions?

5. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

I havent tried paint.net for normal map creation. I know it cant open the normal maps. There may be a plugin for it though. Not sure. Gimp doesnt have it built in, you need to install this plugin(this is the one i used for gimp). Even then this plugin cant open normal maps. Im not entirely sure how to edit the normal maps for the game.
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-normalmap/

i also searched for some threads that may help. Give them a read, i think they have some good information.
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/how-to-edit-create-normal-maps.27397/
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/how-do-i-create-a-custom-normal-map.26811/

6. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

Thank you :)

7. Aleferna_dls

Aleferna_dls
    Expand Collapse

Sorry!!:( I thought you were talking about terrain maps.
    Cheers ;)

8. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

9. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Now I know this is really old. This bump might go down in the record books, but the information is of curiosity to me at the moment.
    I need to know what compression format you guys use on your normal maps.
    I understand DXT1 for opaques, DXT5 for translucency stuff, etc. For the diffuse/color maps this is fine.
    What do I use compression-wise (in the save dialog) to keep the engine happy with normal maps? Let me know!

11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

We use BC3n/3DC (name varies from exporter to exporter).

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

ATI2/3DC in this Nvidia tool UI program I guess?
    upload_2018-10-22_12-2-19.png
    "ATI's 3Dc compression algorithm is a modification of DXT5 designed to overcome S3TC's shortcomings with regard to normal maps. id Software worked around the normalmap compression issues in Doom 3 by moving the red component into the alpha channel before compression and moving it back during rendering in the pixel shader"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Texture_Compression

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

@#$%!
    This NEVER showed up in my response notifications.

I put the blame on you, rubbish DSL line with shaky wireless connection...

Thanks @Nadeox1 I'll make sure I correct my abnormal normals for the next beta of my map.

15. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I saved my normal maps as ati2/3dc and it seems to be working, although some still say 'failed to load normal map (name) for stage 0' for some odd reason, I will have to look into it.
    It's working for this one though (see ceiling tiles, that's one of the ones I did).

doesn't look too bad now!
    Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice